• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Schenker - Trainee Driver and Trainee Driver Operator ( Various Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleamber

Very possibly..... I got a call from HR Yesterday letting me know that I am not required for Day 1 due to previous current passes , so I only need to go to day 2. Still to find out what date but it means I don't have to try and get a sneaky day off work next week without telling them why !

I am working today, but looks like I need to look at emails when i get home, the second time i've applied now, so fingers crossed, did they tell you were your assessment is going to be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clarky042

I am working today, but looks like I need to look at emails when i get home, the second time i've applied now, so fingers crossed, did they tell you were your assessment is going to be?

HR said it would be Doncaster for the second day , sometime in October ....but that she'd call / email once the date was confirmed.

aced1

Very possibly..... I got a call from HR Yesterday letting me know that I am not required for Day 1 due to previous current passes , so I only need to go to day 2. Still to find out what date but it means I don't have to try and get a sneaky day off work next week without telling them why !

Hi clarky what date did you do previous tests if i may ask? I did mine 3 years ago when was shunter. Joined just about when they crossed over from ews. Was one of those casual, zero hours contracts which was worth nothing especially ad where i was living in cornwall at time all work dried up. Good luck for part 2 :)

Clarky042

Hi clarky what date did you do previous tests if i may ask? I did mine 3 years ago when was shunter.

Hi Mate, I did them earlier this year with FTPE but didn't do all of the tests so still have to do the Reactions test......

aced1

Hi Mate, I did them earlier this year with FTPE but didn't do all of the tests so still have to do the Reactions test......

Ahh i see, well at least you have the first hurdle taken care of. Just a quick question, i dont suppose you saved the information on the dates of how progression would go in the process. Apart from the original advert for the vacancys which is now gone i cant find it anywhere.

TDK

Established Member

Not good to advertise that on an open Forum. If I was a Shenker manager I would be researching media regarding the potential candidates to be interviewed.!

Clarky042

Not good to advertise that on an open Forum. If I was a Shenker manager I would be researching media regarding the potential candidates to be interviewed.!

Duly noted TDK , and on reading my own post back I see how that could look..... Just to clarify , I have a few Rdl (rest days in lieu) that I am allowed to use as and when I feel which was the plan. Poor choice of tounge in cheek comment from myself , not meant to be taken that way , just meant to read that I didn't have to use one now which saves me having to ask for it .....im in a job where disclosing that I have applied shouldn't cause any issues but in reality it would hamper my current role and development opportunities.

In short my integrity is important to me and I will always hol d my hands up to an error everytime ....which this was , but completely unintentional .

Last edited:

TRACY TRAIN

Nice one, good luck anyway, not checked my emails for a few days now, so who knows, I put, Doncaster, Immingham and Rotherham, in that order, any hint as in to what the 2 further assessments are?
Sorry for the late reply..As with all the assessments you get practice material through the post. The additional tests required are a numeracy test and written communications test. From a personal point of view its just nice having to only focus on two tests. Good Luck to everybody who is through to round one!! :smile:

Clarky042

Ahh i see, well at least you have the first hurdle taken care of. Just a quick question, i dont suppose you saved the information on the dates of how progression would go in the process. Apart from the original advert for the vacancys which is now gone i cant find it anywhere.

Hi Aced , sorry I didn't notice your post earlier. I havent got all the dates , but from memory I think the second day assesments were from 7th October to around 29th Oct. I know that's not much help , but that's all I've got !

Dynamonic

I managed to save a copy of the advert.

The dates are as follows:

'Recruitment Timeline

16/08/13
Vacancy Opens

01/09/13
Vacancy Closes

Between 02/09/13 & 16/09/13
Short listed applicants invited for train driver assessments

12/09/13
Part 1 Train Driver assessments take place in Birmingham

24/09/13

Part 1 Train Driver assessments take place in Doncaster

Between 08/10/13 & 29/10/13
Part 2 Train Driver assessments take place in Doncaster

Between 14/10/13 & 08/11/13
Successful applicants invited for interview

Between 21/10/13 & 15/11/13
Successful applicants sent to a nearby clinic for drug & alcohol screening and driver medical

Between 28/10/13 & 22/11/13
Successful applicants verbally offered a position and sent a written offer of employment, contract of employment & learning.

06/01/14
Successful applicants start employment with DBS

Please note that if the above dates are subject to change depending on the number of resources available and course dates may start later than planned.'

I've still not had an invite for the assessments, but am still hopeful. There's still a week according to their timeline. :)

Last edited:

benno79

I haven't heard anything either, out of interest did you apply for both driver and driver operator or just driver?

Septus

I haven't heard anything either, out of interest did you apply for both driver and driver operator or just driver?

Both, with regards to the application form did anyone just stick to writing in the areas provided (as I did) or did anyone add in additional pages?

benno79

I just put driver on the application form, I just filled in the space that was there. I did email recruitment about adding extra but didn't get a response. I did consider attaching a covering letter and or cv but past experience has told me where there is an application form to complete this is often discouraged. I found it very hard to fit in what I wanted to say in the selection criteria section and the space for employment history was almost non-existent.

Dynamonic

I just filled the available space using Adobe Reader (I sent off the form whilst it was a PDF, before they changed it to a Word document). I managed to resist the mighty temptation to resize some of the boxes, to finish putting in qualifications, work info etc, as it made no mention of additional pages. lol.

Last edited:

jhen1980

Hi all, I'm new on here and after a bit of advice/guidance if you think I need it.
Well I have never applied for a job in this industry before until a mate of mine encouraged me to apply for DBS. I received my pack last week and I am attending on 24th in Doncaster. Like I say I had never thought about a career in this field before and was wondering if I am punching above my weight so to speak? I'm currently a bus driver for a local company, and only gcse qualifications to my name (the required ones though) Is the first test really daunting? What can I expect? Etc etc. Cheers in advance for any help input, and good luck to all those applying

Last edited:

Clarky042

Hi all, I'm new on here and after a bit of advice/guidance if you think I need it.
Cheers in advance for any help input, and good luck to all those applying

Hi Mate , all I can say is this.... Trawl these forums and the information your looking for is there to be found. Your not asking a question that no-one else has ever asked , but there is a vast amount of information spread across these forums that may help.

Good luck to anyone sitting assesments this week and next

BSparks

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.
I found the application very brief compared to previous ones i've done. I've yet to hear anything, in fact I didn't even receive acknowledgement of my application! I have passed assessments with ftpe earlier this year.

benno79

A lot of us seem to be in the same boat bsparks. They said they were going to be potentially contacting people up to Monday but I'm not holding out much hope.

Scaramanga

I had an email today saying that my passes with FGW 18 months ago will be used to rank me against those who pass stage 1 for the coveted positions at stage 2. Not ideal as my GB is only a borderline so slim chance at progressing. Disappointed not being able to rectify that by sitting these assessments. They must be accepting a borderline these days unfortunately!

Septus

A lot of us seem to be in the same boat bsparks. They said they were going to be potentially contacting people up to Monday but I'm not holding out much hope.

Same here, nothing heard...so attempt no3 at trainee driver again falls at first hurdle. :lol:

Ah well going to keep going, the more I look at it, the more I get rejected, the more I want to be a driver.

aced1

Well did the my part 1 assesment yesterday and had a call today saying that i passed well and now on to round 2 :) best of luck to everyone else

Last edited:
Passed the other tests but was failed on the GB dots test, accuracy was ok but speed wasn't, I went at this like Usain Bolt on amphetimines !, so god knows how fast you're meant to be doing it.

I practiced days beforehand on the program you can download and was averaging 10/11 lines with only a few errors.

Last edited:

SND150

On to round 2 here too :) Has anyone got a copy of the original advert for this role they can pm me? Stupidly I haven't saved a copy or printed it off.

Good luck to everyone through to the next stage and taking the first assessment on the 24th.

aced1

On to round 2 here too :) Has anyone got a copy of the original advert for this role they can pm me? Stupidly I haven't saved a copy or printed it off.

Good luck to everyone through to the next stage and taking the first assessment on the 24th.

If you look on page 5 of this thread you will see someone had posted the advert kindly after i asked same question. As i to never saved it!

What date is your stage 2 assessment may i ask? Did you take the morning or afternoon assesment? Wish you well in stage 2 :)

Last edited:

SND150

Thanks aced1 for the info. Although the info. provided by Dynamonic is good for the timeline, I really was hoping for an actual copy of the advert or at least the text of the advert.

My stage 2 assessment is on 7th October, wasn't offered a morning or afternoon assessment just advised it starts at 09.00. Having checked the pack I received this also only indicates a 09:00 start for the stage 2 assessment. What date is your stage 2 assessment? Thanks for your good wishes, wish you well also :)

aced1

Hi i was referring to the stage 1 assesment at wolverhampton with regards to morning or afternoon. Yes i also have my stage 2 on the 7th October, quite confident on the 2 tests to be honest but i know the structured interview will be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.