• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2021 Timetable change

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
And given an infection rate almost as high as last Christmas, but staying at that level for a couple of months, it isn't surprising.
Which I guess means they got unlucky, compared to somewhere else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MontyP

And given an infection rate almost as high as last Christmas, but staying at that level for a couple of months, it isn't surprising.
Except that now it is only those with positive tests who should be off work - last year it was also anyone pinged by test&trace as a close contact.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
This is a Covid reduction. Huge number of drivers off.
Oh well best to be prudent although TLk having a normalish day today with capes and the Sutton services showing very few cancelled so interesting how they expect it to be worse next week that they need to reduce by 50%? Im also surmising those drivers won't sign L.Bdg nor ECML so how much assistance would they be?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Oh well best to be prudent although TLk having a normalish day today with capes and the Sutton services showing very few cancelled so interesting how they expect it to be worse next week that they need to reduce by 50%? Im also surmising those drivers won't sign L.Bdg nor ECML so how much assistance would they be?

I imagine that - as ever - the leave position gets tighter as December progresses, and the willingness of drivers to come in RDW also diminishes as they (understandably) have more important things to do on their lives. Happens every year, but those operators that are already tight for resource will suffer most.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I imagine that - as ever - the leave position gets tighter as December progresses, and the willingness of drivers to come in RDW also diminishes as they (understandably) have more important things to do on their lives. Happens every year, but those operators that are already tight for resource will suffer most.
Another issue to add to the list and hopefully GBR will be charged to get on top of resourcing across the industry although it doesn't look like it was a specific goal of Williams-Shapps and with private sector seemingly the preferred operator there maybe no incentive to get it sorted.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It's been done to death but perhaps relying on rest day working to enable a full service to be provided is not a sensible solution.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's been done to death but perhaps relying on rest day working to enable a full service to be provided is not a sensible solution.

I can certainly see a move to lower levels of RDW, potentially elimination. That is, usually, more expensive though. And cash is not something the railway is particularly flush with at present.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
There is a connecting line from Whifflet to Coatbridge Sunnyside but difficult to see how much use that will be. Trains from Larkhall and those from Motherwell via Hamilton or Carmyle will have to use Glasgow Central High Level or terminate short.

When Rutherglen to Cambuslang was shut in summer 2018 they extended the Glasgow to Newton trains through to Larkhall and Motherwell. I can't recall what happened with the line via Carmyle to Whifflet. Buses perhaps?

Regarding Whifflet - Sunnyside Junction, I recall that was used on Sundays when engineering works on the Central low level route took place.

Bear in mind I am going back around 15-20 years or so therefore I do not know if any of the Motherwell, Yoker, or Dalmuir drivers still sign that short section of route or not.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I can certainly see a move to lower levels of RDW, potentially elimination. That is, usually, more expensive though. And cash is not something the railway is particularly flush with at present.
If this new strain of the virus is more transmissible then it might help to have more trains running but if not many people are travelling then it might not matter.

Class 170101

Established Member
Except that now it is only those with positive tests who should be off work - last year it was also anyone pinged by test&trace as a close contact.
Except if they suspect its the Omicron (spelling) variant you have been a close contact of, you have to isolate regardless.

Don't know if its been mentioned but scotrail have got their December timetables up on their website. Ive noticed on the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen timetable that the hourly Edinburgh/Glasgow to Aberdeen is back. Any other changes been made to the scotrail services?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What services will be Nova 1s be operating for TPE?
Broadly the same as today - Newcastle-Liverpools, plus the increased Edinburgh-Newcastle service. There will also be one diagram a day - except on Sundays - on the Edinburgh-Manchester Airport route.

Scotrail88

Broadly the same as today - Newcastle-Liverpools, plus the increased Edinburgh-Newcastle service. There will also be one diagram a day - except on Sundays - on the Edinburgh-Manchester Airport route.
Thanks - any idea what diagram it will be on the Edin - Man route?
Would prefer if came to Glasgow

infobleep

Veteran Member
I sometimes make the following journey:
17:11 Guildford to Redhill 17:54
1758 Redhill to Horley 18:08
18:16 Horley to Haywards Heath 18:31

However, from the new timetable, it is no longer showing up. Have any modified the minimum connection time at Redhill?

I appreciate it could be a struggle to make the train if the first train is late, due to the poor layout at Redhill station and lake of decent passenger interchange facilities but it was a handy set of services, as it enabled one to depart not too long after 17:00.

berneyarms

Established Member
I sometimes make the following journey:
1758 Redhill to Horley 18:08
18:16 Horley to Haywards Heath 18:31

However, from the new timetable, it is no longer showing up. Have any modified the minimum connection time at Redhill?

I appreciate it could be a struggle to make the train if the first train is late, due to the poor layout at Redhill station and lake of decent passenger interchange facilities but it was a handy set of services, as it enabled one to depart not too long after 17:00.
The second train is currently timed at 17:59 ex-Redhill which is allowed under the 5-minute minimum connection.

In the new timetable it is advanced to 17:58.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The second train is currently timed at 17:59 ex-Redhill which is allowed under the 5-minute minimum connection.

In the new timetable it is advanced to 17:58.
I wonder why they felt the need to do that? Do they ever take into account connect trains when amending timetables?

At it is, there is only 1 train an hour to Gatwick Airport, so anything that helps, such as this, is a bonus.

If I use it in future, I shall just have to run along the platform faster.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Difficult to see a way round it.

Indeed - the DfT / government want it to happen (as do and I and pretty much any weekend passenger) but will they stump up the cash which is obviously needed to increase Sunday timetables? I am doubtful.

berneyarms

Established Member
I wonder why they felt the need to do that? Do they ever take into account connect trains when amending timetables?

At it is, there is only 1 train an hour to Gatwick Airport, so anything that helps, such as this, is a bonus.

You can still get there for 18:43

18:06 Redhill to Gatwick 18:15
18:31 Gatwick to Haywards Heath 18:43

infobleep

Veteran Member
You can still get there for 18:43

18:06 Redhill to Gatwick 18:15
18:31 Gatwick to Haywards Heath 18:43

Needless to say the 17:39 gets into Gatwick Airport at 18:24, which gives one 6 minutes to make the 18:31. Whilst unofficial that is more than enough time. In fact it is 1 minute more time than at Redhill and the interchange time is better. Making the 17:11 effectively pointless, unless you are concerned about being able to claim delay repay. I'm generally less concerned if it's a regular journey.

I need to be in Haywards Heath around 18:30 and that is time-critical. Equally is like to leave on a train after 17:00, rather than before as it eats more into my working day.

These trains were times perfectly on the timetable to enable me to make such a trip to Haywards Heath. Hence I'm not too pleased the opportunity has been removed. I do appreciate there is the possibility one might be delayed but I'll take that risk.

The other alternative is to travel via Clapham Junction of course. One has to leave 10 minutes earlier to do so of course.

This issue will become history when they run the Redhill stoppers to Gatwick Airport but that isn't yet.

Update: Despite the 17:11 departing Guildford 90 seconds late, it was on time departing Shalford.

So how about GWR aim to arrive into Redhill at 17:53, rather than 17:54. After all we arrived in at 17:53 today.

I'm sure if I suggest it, they will ignore my suggestion. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

The 17:54 forms the 17:58 back to Reading. If they arrive at 17:53 then officially they have 5 minutes to switch ends.

I haven't checked to see how often the 17:59 to Horley departs in time. Today it arrived at 17:58 and had a short wait but not that short.

Last edited:

mrd269697

The 2156 from Wrexham General and the 2257 from Bidston are to be restored from 13th December, according to the Bidston and Wrexham Rail Users Association. Welcome news to revellers as the last train from Bidston is currently about 9pm.

Esker-pades

Established Member

Sometimes, if it is pointed out. Especially at busy places with relatively frequent services, planners won't have eyes on all the previously possible connections. If you point it out to GWR or Southern, someone might be able to get the timetable changed. Possibly a long-shot in this instance, but it is far from unknown.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sometimes, if it is pointed out. Especially at busy places with relatively frequent services, planners won't have eyes on all the previously possible connections. If you point it out to GWR or Southern, someone might be able to get the timetable changed. Possibly a long-shot in this instance, but it is far from unknown.
Would an e-mail to customer services get such a request forward on to the right departments for them to look at it?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Would an e-mail to customer services get such a request forward on to the right departments for them to look at it?
I haven't done it myself, but it's either that or approaching a local rail users group to see if they'll take up the case on your behalf.

Most likely the response will be "it's too short notice", but only one way to find out.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I haven't done it myself, but it's either that or approaching a local rail users group to see if they'll take up the case on your behalf.

Most likely the response will be "it's too short notice", but only one way to find out.
Well, surely it is something they can rectify in the future if not now. I mean sometimes services get introduced mid timetable. I appreciate these things are planned. So I'm not talking about something happening overnight.

Eloise

It is worth pointing out, as hinted above trying to spot all these is nigh on impossible. Some are possible, some not but can be fixed for a future timetable.

Established Member
For those interested, a 195 will be on the following Leeds - Wigan diagram from Monday...

2R82 0617 Leeds to Wigan North Western
2I07 0854 Wigan North Western to Leeds
2R92 1117 Leeds to Wigan North Western
2I17 1353 Wigan North Western to Leeds
2R82 1617 Leeds to Wigan North Western
2I07 1853 Wigan North Western to Leeds

First booked 195 on the Atherton line

D9006

For those interested, a 195 will be on the following Leeds - Wigan diagram from Monday...

2R82 0617 Leeds to Wigan North Western
2I07 0854 Wigan North Western to Leeds
2R92 1117 Leeds to Wigan North Western
2I17 1353 Wigan North Western to Leeds
2R82 1617 Leeds to Wigan North Western
2I07 1853 Wigan North Western to Leeds

First booked 195 on the Atherton line
Worked by Manchester crews, or Wigan signed up on 195s

Status
Not open for further replies.