• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2023 Timetable Change

SuperNova

I’m hoping this reduction on TPE gets major press coverage and gets in the radar of the mayors, as they can’t get away with this timetable becoming permanent, especially the fiasco of a major cut in a Saturday just a few weeks before Christmas.

I get the feeling it’ll become the base frequency and in a few years they’ll announce with great fanfare an additional express train per hour meaning there are now ‘3 fast trains per hour’. If people haven’t been paying attention they’ll think it’s an improvement, and all the local papers who print anything will just publish it.
It’s temporary. It’s been explicitly said as that internally, even though many of us think it’s a bit much, especially on the now busier days of Friday/Saturday.

RNP turned down First Groups emergency timetable too. But are now seemingly accepting this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
It’s temporary. It’s been explicitly said as that internally, even though many of us think it’s a bit much, especially on the now busier days of Friday/Saturday.

RNP turned down First Groups emergency timetable too. But are now seemingly accepting this.
RNP?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hourly service at Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme both ways as well as Manchester to Chester via Altrincham and Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent stoppers.

Ze Random One

Hourly service at Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme both ways as well as Manchester to Chester via Altrincham and Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent stoppers.
Not sure where you see that. I see 4-5tph between Levenshulme and Manchester Piccadilly on 18/12, spread fairly evenly across the hour.
I actually suspect the Sunday timetable is not completely uploaded yet given some odd gaps.

BrianB

Attached is the 1st draft of table 039 in the December NRT, but as always at this early stage it WILL change before final publication

Attachments

• 039 Liverpool and Manchester to Leeds, Hull, York, Scarborough, Teeside and Newcastle (Transpe...pdf
    591.1 KB · Views: 154

Established Member
Attached is the 1st draft of table 039 in the December NRT, but as always at this early stage it WILL change before final publication
This has TPE services not calling at Normanton, Castleford and Sherburn-in-Elmet, which is problematic and contradicts the timetable on RTT.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
This has TPE services not calling at Normanton, Castleford and Sherburn-in-Elmet, which is problematic and contradicts the timetable on RTT.

I think those stations are just omitted from the template rather than the services not calling. To be honest it would not surprise me that NR haven’t anticipated they need to be added to Table 39, it’s quite a radical new stopping pattern for a TPE service.

My reaction to that Table 39 is that the connections at York to Scarborough are almost intentionally rubbish. Is there any reason why the down train couldn’t depart 10 mins later for a reasonably robust connection out of the train from Liverpool?

Last edited:

BrianB

I think those stations are just omitted from the template rather than the services not calling. To be honest it would not surprise me that NR haven’t anticipated they need to be added to Table 39, it’s quite a radical new stopping pattern for a TPE service.
It isnt for anyone at NR to anticipate this, it is my job as the contracted editor and I am on the case of what will be required in due time. The reason that Normanton and Sherburn in Elmet are not in the station bank is because no service has a public time at them, all times are currently shown as 'operational purposes only'. If and when those times become public stops then those stations will appear. On the other hand I did fully expect public times at Castleford from the outset, which is why it is live in the station bank, but sadly they are not yet there either. We are still at T-14, so as is often repeated in these timetable debates - it WILL change before final publication

Last edited:

D6700

As @BrianB stated, none of these trains include public times at the new stopping locations. If you look again at RTT, you will see no times shown for them in the GBTT column - which is the relevent entry for any public timetables. As such, there is no contradiction.

My reaction to that Table 39 is that the connections at York to Scarborough are almost intentionally rubbish. Is there any reason why the down train couldn’t depart 10 mins later for a reasonably robust connection out of the train from Liverpool?
They are indeed truly appalling. I suspect the real reason is simply that the timetable was a (self imposed) last minute rush job, lacking time for proper and necessary attention to detail. In the opposite direction, the connections are good - which is genuinely a lucky coincidence.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not sure where you see that. I see 4-5tph between Levenshulme and Manchester Piccadilly on 18/12, spread fairly evenly across the hour.
I actually suspect the Sunday timetable is not completely uploaded yet given some odd gaps.

Yes Sundays. The Monday to Saturday service there is fine when everything runs to plan.

Bantamzen

Established Member
But is this what everyone has been asking for on this board - an emergency timetable that can be delivered!? There’s been numerous posts saying there should be an emergency timetable.
Not everyone I'd just like to point out!

Two trains that run reliably every hour is much better than no trains at all for 3 to 4 hours. On Saturday the final train to Leeds (from Victoria) has been as early as 1815. Simplicity is a good thing for sure.
Not if the two trains are packed to the rafters and you can't board, which is exactly what used to happen when there were fewer services. I still get shudders when I think of the crapshow that was P16 at Leeds when the services were rammed. Throw in the almost guaranteed delays that the stoppers will add to the job by tripping up the fasts, and the almost inevitable cancellations as a result, and it will be just like dialling back into the "good old days" of TPE. I look forward to the pages and pages of complaints, and people suggesting an emergency emergency timetable....

xotGD

Established Member
I see that in many hours there are simultaneously TPE departures from Man Pic , both going to Huddersfield. No chance of passengers boarding the wrong train whatsoever.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I see that in many hours there are simultaneously TPE departures from Man Pic , both going to Huddersfield. No chance of passengers boarding the wrong train whatsoever.

Agreed, as the UK doesn't use "flight numbers" for trains it would make sense to adjust the public timetable time of the one that starts at Piccadilly to be one minute earlier to avoid that. The WTT can stay as is. Ideally you don't want two trains from a given station timed in the public timetable to depart at the same time even if to different destinations.

3RDGEN

Not everyone I'd just like to point out!

Not if the two trains are packed to the rafters and you can't board, which is exactly what used to happen when there were fewer services. I still get shudders when I think of the crapshow that was P16 at Leeds when the services were rammed. Throw in the almost guaranteed delays that the stoppers will add to the job by tripping up the fasts, and the almost inevitable cancellations as a result, and it will be just like dialling back into the "good old days" of TPE. I look forward to the pages and pages of complaints, and people suggesting an emergency emergency timetable....
But it's three trains per hour and since the Hull - Manc Picc service isn't overtaken by the following express there's no reason for passengers to wait.

Off peak west bound the Leeds - Manc times are 53, 56 & 62 minutes so not sure how the first two are express and the third is a "stopper"? East bound the times are 55, 55, 68 so a more significant difference but again the Hull service isn't overtaken so why would passenger wait for an express? If you want Leeds - Manc Picc the Hull "stopper" is quicker than the Airport express in both directions anyway.
The xx:58's are like that in the current timetable but if you want Hudds or beyond it doesn't really matter as the xx:58 Hudds stopper arrives before the xx:58 Saltburn anyway so you can just pick it up at Hudds instead.

sjm77

True, however the connection from the fast xx:00 from London Kings Cross is very good!

Bantamzen

Established Member
But it's three trains per hour and since the Hull - Manc Picc service isn't overtaken by the following express there's no reason for passengers to wait.

Off peak west bound the Leeds - Manc times are 53, 56 & 62 minutes so not sure how the first two are express and the third is a "stopper"? East bound the times are 55, 55, 68 so a more significant difference but again the Hull service isn't overtaken so why would passenger wait for an express? If you want Leeds - Manc Picc the Hull "stopper" is quicker than the Airport express in both directions anyway.
My point is when those stoppers start to fall behind schedule, which happened a lot when Northern ran the Leeds-Wigan via Huddersfield, then faster services behind quickly catch up gaining their own delays and adding even more to the problem. At least having stoppers terminate at Huddersfield in each direction breaks up the risk.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Where is GWR? Are they the last to upload? I didnt think there was to be major changes anyways.

There’s also considerable resourcing changes with the late plan to extend the use of Castle HST sets which requires some timetable tweaks.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Wasn't aware that TWR were retaining any castles after December anyway let alone extending their operations, good news I guess for the struggling DMU fleet but an awful lot of work for them to do at a late stage in order to get timetable up and reservations open for Christmas which must presumably be the deadline of every mid to long distance TOC at the moment

MontyP

True, however the connection from the fast xx:00 from London Kings Cross is very good!
And inevitably LNER will only offer good value Advance tickets London-Scarborough on the xx30 from KX with a longer wait at York.

louis97

Established Member
There’s also considerable resourcing changes with the late plan to extend the use of Castle HST sets which requires some timetable tweaks.
This is, I suspect, the main reason behind GWRs delay in publishing. The North Downs recast was submitted and offered in normal bid/offer timescales, hence why SWR and GTR are published. However the late plan to extend the use of the Castle sets was not.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Wasn't aware that TWR were retaining any castles after December anyway let alone extending their operations, good news I guess for the struggling DMU fleet but an awful lot of work for them to do at a late stage in order to get timetable up and reservations open for Christmas which must presumably be the deadline of every mid to long distance TOC at the moment

Castle operations are being extended in a time-sense but not geographically - they are being condensed in that regard. I think we’re looking at 3 diagrams operating in the Plymouth-Penzance area only.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
GWR is finally out
So tight at Gatwick Airport on the North Downs Line. Hardly a surprise given what it needs to fit in front of at Guildford though.

A 4-minute turnaround requires very good performance over the North Downs. Hopefully they will get used to it by next year's leaf fall season.

PGAT

Established Member
So tight at Gatwick Airport on the North Downs Line. Hardly a surprise given what it needs to fit in front of at Guildford though.

A 4-minute turnaround requires very good performance over the North Downs. Hopefully they will get used to it by next year's leaf fall season.
They already have a 4min turnaround at the moment but they get 3 minutes less to reverse at Redhill. It seems to work well enough, haven’t heard any commuting horror stories involving reliability on the line

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They already have a 4min turnaround at the moment but they get 3 minutes less to reverse at Redhill. It seems to work well enough, haven’t heard any commuting horror stories involving reliability on the line
Yes, but there has been quite a lot of '769 slack' in the timetable for a while now. Historically, before the timings were elongated, they had 13 minutes at Gatwick, although in those days they used to go to the sidings South of the station. Now the 769 slack is being used for extra stops.

Interestingly the pathing in the feed is still described as being for 769s instead of the more appropriate Turbo sectional running times.

Bigfoot

Ideally you don't want two trains from a given station timed in the public timetable to depart at the same time even if to different destinations.
Waterloo has 3 trains leave at the same time twice an hour throughout the day and had done this for many years, never known it to be an issue.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Yes, but there has been quite a lot of '769 slack' in the timetable for a while now. Historically, before the timings were elongated, they had 13 minutes at Gatwick, although in those days they used to go to the sidings South of the station. Now the 769 slack is being used for extra stops.

Interestingly the pathing in the feed is still described as being for 769s instead of the more appropriate Turbo sectional running times.
Yeah the running times are still 769 while the new 165 running times are remodelled. Will switch in June24.

As a result timetable should still have some slack in it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yeah the running times are still 769 while the new 165 running times are remodelled. Will switch in June24.

As a result timetable should still have some slack in it.
Ah right, thanks for the insight. That is interesting to know.