• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - responsibility to mitigate delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
I've posted this one before, I had an advance on Grand Central Sunderland-London at 15.32. It was cancelled and I was told to make my way to Newcastle and take the 16:28 East Coast. I arrived at Central Station in time to catch the 15.57 East Coast, but was refused permission to travel on it. Had I been allowed to do so then no compensation would have been due as I would have reached London at approximately the same time as the GC was due in.

talldave

Established Member
If you ask for a ticket to London Bridge and are given one marked London Terminals you still haven't arrived at your destination if for whatever reason you find yourself at London Victoria.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've posted this one before, I had an advance on Grand Central Sunderland-London at 15.32. It was cancelled and I was told to make my way to Newcastle and take the 16:28 East Coast. I arrived at Central Station in time to catch the 15.57 East Coast, but was refused permission to travel on it. Had I been allowed to do so then no compensation would have been due as I would have reached London at approximately the same time as the GC was due in.
That is largely irrelevant to the discussion in hand. In your case East Coast agree with Grand Central to carry GC passengers on a specific train (the 16:28) and delay compensation is Grand Central's problem. East Coast have no incentive whatsoever in mitigating the losses of another operator in these circumstances.

crispy1978

Reminds me of a recent Delay Repay I claimed for.

Was travelling Accrington to Scarborough, with intentions of changing at York as my wife has mobility issues and the platform change is easier. Obviously, we could also change at Leeds, but there is potential for a platform leap over the lift as it isn't always obvious which platform the train from Accrington comes in on.

Departure from Accrington was 16:00ish, arriving Leeds 17:20ish and York 18:00ish. The Transpennine departed Liverpool 15:22/16:22, Leeds 17:12/18:12 and York 17:40/18:40.

There were delays on all three services, so I was keeping an eye on whether we could get the earlier service from Leeds (Northern journey 40 mins, TPE journey 24 mins). As we approached Leeds, it looked like we had 7 minutes - tight but doable depending on platform. As it happened we arrived on 9D I think it was which I still thought riskable - a few seconds delay on doors opening, lifts in the wrong places, etc and it just pulled away as we were getting in the lift down to 15B.

The 18:12 was delayed by over an hour, so we had a long hang around in Leeds - got food in the end from the food stalls in the concourse.

Successfully got the full delay repay, but could they have been awkward and said we should have got the delayed 17:12 had the minimum 10 connection time been there?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
No, as circumstances such as mobility would also have been taken into account. 10 mins is the bare minimum, not a recommended connection time

York is by far the easier connection tho even when the job has gone tits up as the blackpool service terminates on 7 and the scarboroughs depart from 5. For your point of view thats merely chock end of the platform, turn right, you are there. Leeds is a chew on getting from 9D to 15A via the full length of the platform and over the bridge. Also bear in mind in major disruption TPE tend to opt for shuttles york- scarboro,midd'boro and Newcastle so always aim to get there!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you ask for a ticket to London Bridge and are given one marked London Terminals you still haven't arrived at your destination if for whatever reason you find yourself at London Victoria.

I agree with this interpretation.

If the journey is to London Bridge, then the delay should be calculated based on the final arrival time at London Bridge. Just because the ticket prints London Terminals it does not mean the passenger wants to go to Victoria or that the extent of delay should be calculated based on arrival time at a station the passenger has no desire to be at.

On the other hand, should the journey be cut short at Victoria and the passenger proceeding from there to their other plans then I think it is reasonable that the delay be calculated based on the arrival time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.