• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - ticket acceptance from staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Hi all,

I’m a tad confused on a delay-repay claim I’ll be making soon.

I have an advance ticket for the 13:15 Exeter St. David’s - London Paddington (the 10:15 off Penzance). This service has been delayed due to the incident on Monday at Plymouth and is currently around 55 minutes late.

When I was at Exeter St. David’s, a member of staff on the platform (a dispatcher) told me that ticket acceptance was in place for me to travel on the 13:40 Exeter - Paddington train. I was told that, because the delayed 13:15 service was full and standing, I would be better off on the 13:40 service as I would be guaranteed a seat.

I’m onboard the 13:40 now and we’ve been pretty heavily delayed, with the train now running 39 minutes late (and a further few as we’re waiting for a platform at Newbury)

Although the 13:40 will arrive to Paddington less than 60
minutes late most likely, it will NOT qualify for delay repay, HOWEVER, as my ticket was for the 13:15, my eventual arrival time will be over 60 minutes late.

This is complicated by the fact that the 13:15 was allowed to leave in front of the 13:40 service at Exeter, meaning that I, strictly speaking, had the opportunity to board the 13:15 service (which would qualify for 30 minute but not 60 minute delay repay) but chose to take the advice of staff to catch the 13:49 (which arrives over 60 minutes after my original booked time on the 13:15)

How much delay repay am I entitled to, strictly speaking? Am I right in saying I can apply for 60 minutes on the basis that I was following staff instructions (although I did technically have an opportunity to board the 13:15 (my original service) and would only qualify for 30 minute delay repay following this logic).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nova1

As far as I'm aware you're not really allowed to intentionally delay yourself - but you haven't, you followed advice from station staff.

I'd say you'd be entitled to 60 minutes, I expect it will get instant denied and will probably require contacting the TOC.

alistairlees

Established Member
Hi all,

I’m a tad confused on a delay-repay claim I’ll be making soon.

I have an advance ticket for the 13:15 Exeter St. David’s - London Paddington (the 10:15 off Penzance). This service has been delayed due to the incident on Monday at Plymouth and is currently around 55 minutes late.

When I was at Exeter St. David’s, a member of staff on the platform (a dispatcher) told me that ticket acceptance was in place for me to travel on the 13:40 Exeter - Paddington train. I was told that, because the delayed 13:15 service was full and standing, I would be better off on the 13:40 service as I would be guaranteed a seat.

I’m onboard the 13:40 now and we’ve been pretty heavily delayed, with the train now running 39 minutes late (and a further few as we’re waiting for a platform at Newbury)

Although the 13:40 will arrive to Paddington less than 60
minutes late most likely, it will NOT qualify for delay repay, HOWEVER, as my ticket was for the 13:15, my eventual arrival time will be over 60 minutes late.

This is complicated by the fact that the 13:15 was allowed to leave in front of the 13:40 service at Exeter, meaning that I, strictly speaking, had the opportunity to board the 13:15 service (which would qualify for 30 minute but not 60 minute delay repay) but chose to take the advice of staff to catch the 13:49 (which arrives over 60 minutes after my original booked time on the 13:15)

How much delay repay am I entitled to, strictly speaking? Am I right in saying I can apply for 60 minutes on the basis that I was following staff instructions (although I did technically have an opportunity to board the 13:15 (my original service) and would only qualify for 30 minute delay repay following this logic).
What time were you scheduled to arrive in Paddington (I’m assuming that was your final destination on your ticket)? And what time did you actually arrive?

Provided you did not delay yourself intentionally (which you did not, from what you say), then the difference between the two determines the amount of delay repay you are entitled to.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yep, claim for what actually happened. If you've followed the instructions/advice of staff, it's not your fault if it turns out - with the benefit of hindsight - that there would have been a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.