• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed/Abandoned journey on a rover ticket

Trainfan344

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago (Saturday 2nd December), on a freedom of the southwest 3 in 7 rover ticket, I was attempting to make a journey, admittedly in parts from Penzance to Worcester Foregate Street, After a minor delay in Cornwall, I ended up arriving at Cheltenham Spa from Exeter St Davids about 16:20, expecting to catch the 16:48. I had an engagement in Worcester at 7pm.

However, as can be evidenced from this link to Ontime Trains https://www.ontimetrains.co.uk/depa...rture=16:48;arrival=17:23;timeField=Departing the 16:48 was cancelled, as was the 17:48 and 18:48. After speaking to staff at Cheltenham Spa station, I was told to make my way to Worcester via any reasonable route.

So I then boarded the next CrossCountry service to Birmingham New Street, however after missing a tight connection and checked trains from Snow Hill. However, with the 17:57 and 18:27 departures both showing as cancelled and an engagement to make, I headed to Bromsgrove to get an Uber to Worcester, arriving about 7pm. Evidence here https://www.ontimetrains.co.uk/depa...rture=18:57;timeField=Departing;arrival=20:05

With this in mind, when it comes to Delay Repay, do I claim for a delayed journey of 120+ minutes, or do I claim for an abandoned journey, which advises me to claim from where I purchased the ticket, this being my local ticket office.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
Would the departure station be Penzance or Cheltenham or does it not matter too much?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If using the rover to make multiple journeys, I would just claim for the individual journey that was delayed, from Cheltenham to Worcester.

If claiming from Penzance, you needed to be actually making a contiguous journey from Penzance, in my opinion.

Delay Repay doesn't really work well with Rover products, and it gets really messy and woolly if you decide to change your plans based on a delay. Deciding how much should be payable is very subjective.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
If using the rover to make multiple journeys, I would just claim for the individual journey that was delayed, from Cheltenham to Worcester.

If claiming from Penzance, you needed to be actually making a contiguous journey from Penzance, in my opinion.

Delay Repay doesn't really work well with Rover products, and it gets really messy and woolly if you decide to change your plans based on a delay. Deciding how much should be payable is very subjective.
I'd agree with this. Otherwise you could argue that the entire rover is just one long journey! Stick to just the actual journey you made and the time you should have arrived and the time you did arrive.