• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment at Kirkby (Merseyside) - 13/03/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
So far as I know nothing special goes on at Rainford, I can only assume its just to keep things normal for the waste trains, things seem to go wrong fast when ever they mess about with stuff up there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
So far as I know nothing special goes on at Rainford, I can only assume its just to keep things normal for the waste trains, things seem to go wrong fast when ever they mess about with stuff up there!

I suppose it is safer to follow the planned timetable that is understood rather than making something up and causing "confusion and delay" (to quote Sir Topham Hatt)

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Likewise. 30mph at the ramp where a full brake application was made, which I’m taking to mean ‘Emergency’.
On 313s for example Full service is equivalent to the emergency brake position is this the same on 507s?

Last edited by a moderator:

Efini92

Established Member
Do the trains have to go a certain distance down the single line for the signalling to work properly - e.g. do they need to be detected by a track circuit somewhere (e.g. at the entrance to Knowsley Freight terminal or something)?

Or is the issue the driver being able to change ends in non gangwayed units and needing a platform to do so?
Not sure about the Liverpool end but rainford to Knowsley freight terminal is worked by a token and rainford to Kirkby is worked by a staff.

LimeStSte

Not sure about the Liverpool end but rainford to Knowsley freight terminal is worked by a token and rainford to Kirkby is worked by a staff.
Rainford to Knowsley Freight and Kirkby are both worked by token.
Do the trains have to go a certain distance down the single line for the signalling to work properly - e.g. do they need to be detected by a track circuit somewhere (e.g. at the entrance to Knowsley Freight terminal or something)?

Or is the issue the driver being able to change ends in non gangwayed units and needing a platform to do so?

For the Signalling to work the train just needs to clear the track circuit for the Points then I can move the points and clear RJ2 Home Signal for it to come back into the Up platform to work back up to Wallgate

Efini92

Established Member
Rainford to Knowsley Freight and Kirkby are both worked by token.

For the Signalling to work the train just needs to clear the track circuit for the Points then I can move the points and clear RJ2 Home Signal for it to come back into the Up platform to work back up to Wallgate
A token is used as a staff.

Llama

Established Member
Edit, already answered.

As for the second consideration about changing ends, there's a safe enough cess most of the length of the single line - Northern happily see us changing ends routinely on non-gangwayed rakes of units in a lot worse places for underfoot conditions than Rainford-Kirkby. There was a walkway built around Dale Lane ground frame area about seven or eight years ago for the ground staff when working freight trains from Knowsley freight terminal though.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Merseyrail uses LU-type train stops doesn't it?
You can see them working with the signals at Lime St on the Wirral loop.
Would they not be used at a location like Kirkby?

Llama

Established Member
Tripcocks, are they only used in the tunnel sections though? There's certainly TPWS fitted elsewhere, like at Kirkby.

bramling

Veteran Member
Merseyrail uses LU-type train stops doesn't it?
You can see them working with the signals at Lime St on the Wirral loop.
Would they not be used at a location like Kirkby?

Only in the underground section. Mechanical train stops are a nuisance for various reasons, and they’re only fully effective on signals which have a full-speed overlap (which makes it prohibitive on faster sections of line). That wouldn’t preclude having them at termini, subject to the aforementioned maintenance liability, however why provide them when there’s TPWS already there?

berneyarms

Established Member
Northern services are running empty to Kirkby from Rainford rather than standing at Rainford for an hour.
Not all of them.

The 10:14 arrival from Manchester Victoria (2K64) departed at 10:15 as ECS service 5J34 and arrived back at Rainford 9 minutes later at 10:24.

Given that it takes 10 minutes to get to Kirkby, it clearly didn't do that, but rather just worked forward onto the single line section, driver switched ends, and it proceeded back to Rainford platform 2.

Geeves

Established Member
You know best, I was just going off what was being said in the signing on point. If there are no freights due I guess its easy enough!

Efini92

Established Member
I just glanced at RTT, so I am assuming that it's correct.
9 mins is an awful long time to do a shunt onto the single line and back into the up platform. But I suppose the train would have to pass the signal at danger.

Established Member
9 mins is an awful long time to do a shunt onto the single line and back into the up platform. But I suppose the train would have to pass the signal at danger.

I wouldn't consider it a long time.
Most of that would be the driver packing his bag, shutting down, changing ends, opening up and getting ready.

PauloDavesi

Would the driver have been tested for alcohol, and other drugs, after the incident?

Also, if the accident was caused by a mechanical failure, is it still safe to use other units of the same design, until the cause of the failure has been rectified?

John Luxton

Established Member
They always say you believe everything you read in the newspaper until they report on an incident of which you have first hand knowledge!

The Liverpool Echo has been declining in all areas for many years. My parents and grand parents used to run a newsagents and I can recall back in the 1960s and early 70s when it was a good newspaper. However, it has declined to dross in recent years. Not only is transport related reporting poor, just about every aspect of news reports have errors in them. One only has to look at comments which are posted on their stories which appear on Facebook.

Their sister paper the Daily Post web site North Wales Live) which is now only published in north Wales (used to be Liverpool as well) was a better paper - but that is also in decline. In the last twelve months it has been undermining the tourist industry through its use of the Covid pandemic to manipulate opinion against visitors.

I also look in on some of Reach plc's other web sites Cornwall Live / Devon Live and they are also of poor quality.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Local newspapers are in general decline because people aren't buying them any more, and are just getting their news free online. Clickbait to advertising is about the only way they can keep their heads above water.

Llama

Established Member
Would the driver have been tested for alcohol, and other drugs, after the incident?

Also, if the accident was caused by a mechanical failure, is it still safe to use other units of the same design, until the cause of the failure has been rectified?

Yes they'd almost certainly be D&A tested, as they would for any serious incident such as a spad, collision, derailment etc - it could be argued this incident was all three of those if you take the buffer stop to be a red aspect/end of movement authority.

If mechanical or electrical failure was suspected as the cause then the units would hopefully have been pulled from service for checks & repairs if necessary.

Let's just say enough is known to allow that decision to have been made.

hwl

Established Member
Yes indeed terrifying once you realise that, for whatever reason, you are not going to stop. Goes beyond a 'brown trousers' moment into this is not going to end well.
Thoughts to the driver.
The driver had the sense to get out of the cab and run along the first carriage.

Let's just say enough is known to allow that decision to have been made.
Agreed and known very quickly hence a big focus should be on the poor performance of yet another legacy buffer arrangement (including that concrete block...)

Llama

Established Member
The leading coach at Kirkby was empty of passengers so I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.