• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment between Hersham & Walton on Thames (04/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Seems sleepers weren't too damaged, this is the work they expect to do overnight:
View attachment 153627
Does anyone know roughly what sort of distance 160 insulating pots means? Presumably if there’s only 60 metres of third rail damaged the majority of the displaced rail is ok to reposition and bring back into normal use?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Does anyone know roughly what sort of distance 160 insulating pots means? Presumably if there’s only 60 metres of third rail damaged the majority of the displaced rail is ok to reposition and bring back into normal use?
Usually potted 1 in 8 sleepers

Towers

Established Member
I not
I suspect its not as simple as it seems to the general public, where are all these crews who are working these trains coming from and what if it doesn't fit into break requirements and other potential issues.

LTP diagrams are intricate and are hard to recover without sacrifice
That is a fair point of course, but even now at nearly 8pm pax at Basingstoke for Pompey/So’ton/Bomo/Weymouth are being directed onto Yeovil/Exeter services for a journey via Salisbury. That will, of course, be via either a two car SWR 158 or the already very well loaded GWR services, changing once again at So’ton for anywhere in the New Forest or beyond.

If the combined wit of the modern railway honestly cannot manage a Portsmouth/Weymouth - Basingstoke shuttle, this late in the day and given the sheer volume of crew and stock not currently being utilised on their diagrammed services, then the situation needs a serious looking at. It may or may not be the fault of any one particular organisation, but it’s poor.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So having spoken to some staff, no fast trains are running from Clapjam Junction today. I guess they mean from now on as dome rsn earlier.

I saw a fast train go through Clapham Junction platform 7 without stopping.

This morning some trains to Alton diverted via Cobham and Guildford but nothing this afternoon.

I guess that means no more services from places like Milford.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I not

That is a fair point of course, but even now at nearly 8pm pax at Basingstoke for Pompey/So’ton/Bomo/Weymouth are being directed onto Yeovil/Exeter services for a journey via Salisbury. That will, of course, be via either a two car SWR 158 or the already very well loaded GWR services, changing once again at So’ton for anywhere in the New Forest or beyond.

If the combined wit of the modern railway honestly cannot manage a Portsmouth/Weymouth - Basingstoke shuttle, this late in the day and given the sheer volume of crew and stock not currently being utilised on their diagrammed services, then the situation needs a serious looking at. It may or may not be the fault of any one particular organisation, but it’s poor.
Exactly which is why ORR should conduct a review and see what the underlying issues are

jwhite9185

Would appear things are ramping up again in the Woking area.

The 20:03 stopper departed pretty much on time (although nobody was on it), and the arrival from Waterloo came in around 20:08.

In addition, the freight train that goes past on a nightly basis also just went flying through.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Usually potted 1 in 8 sleepers

ie about a kilometre. Which is consistent for stopping distance of a train in emergency braking.

Samzino

Well hopefully the work overnight is ready in the morning without another incident.

Ian Hardy

What is 1Z99?
73202 & 73212

1Z99 is a breakdown or overhead line equipment train going to clear the line (headcode 1Z99); traction unit going to assist a failed train (1Z99); snow plough going to clear the line (1Z99)

ivorytoast28

Very busy tonight at Guildford and lots of frustration as subsequent trains on the cobham branch were cancelled despite empty units sitting on platform 5 and 1. Boards seemed confused and didn't show some trains that ran

However, the announcements were loud and clear directing passengers for the Basingstoke via Woking service to not board for london.

I got on the 18:22 to Waterloo having given up trying to get to Wimbledon and despite all the warnings and apologies over the tannoy of it only being 5 carriages was easily able to find a seat. Left Guildford 7 minutes late and arrived back on the fast line at Hampton court junction 6 minutes late so no delay by going via Cobham (makes sense given nothing else was going north that way) Can't overly critisise the response from SWR, just hope I can get a refund on my initial ticket to Wimbledon with no issues from LNER

73202 & 73212

1Z99 is a breakdown or overhead line equipment train going to clear the line (headcode 1Z99); traction unit going to assist a failed train (1Z99); snow plough going to clear the line (1Z99)
Aha, thanks. That's why I couldn't find it on RTT.

ivorytoast28

A twitter user has reported that 2F02 "struck an object and waited ages at Surbiton while the train was being looked at."

After checking RTT, 2F02 waited at Surbiton for 25 minutes aligning with the user's story.
Very concerning if true but it doesn't really make sense that they'd wait and not report it, and that said object would stay in the same place for the next train to hit

Samzino

Isn't it normal protocol to move into the next station to inspect any damage if it isn't apparent or restricting the moment of said train? Question would be if the first train to hit the object raised a warning to the signaller.

infobleep

Veteran Member
A twitter user has reported that 2F02 "struck an object and waited ages at Surbiton while the train was being looked at."

After checking RTT, 2F02 waited at Surbiton for 25 minutes aligning with the user's story.
If one train strikes an object, wouldn't other trains be cautioned or is it a case of different line?

I don't know the full picture though so I'm just wondering generally as opposed to thus perticular incident.

It seems there will be trains from Milford as rhe 20:45 service to Haselmare is running. It isn't stopping at Woking or Worpoledon so be interesting to see which route it takes.

TEW

Established Member
Very concerning if true but it doesn't really make sense that they'd wait and not report it, and that said object would stay in the same place for the next train to hit
2F02 and 2L10 were on different lines. 2F02 reported striking an object on the up slow line the London side of Hersham and a subsequent train was cautioned along the up slow line. 2L10 then had the issues on the up fast line in the Walton-on-Thames area.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
2F02 and 2L10 were on different lines. 2F02 reported striking an object on the up slow line the London side of Hersham and a subsequent train was cautioned along the up slow line. 2L10 then had the issues on the up fast line in the Walton-on-Thames area.
Seems odd that 2F02 didn't stop before Surbiton for inspection given what the Twitter user above said and the location so suggests the driver wasn't that concerned at least initially.

infobleep

Veteran Member
2F02 and 2L10 were on different lines. 2F02 reported striking an object on the up slow line the London side of Hersham and a subsequent train was cautio people squashes onned along the up slow line. 2L10 then had the issues on the up fast line in the Walton-on-Thames area.
So would only one line need to be cautioned when an object is struck or would both lines be cautioned at the same place?

The 20:45 London Waterloo to Haslemere had a guard but no driver and they couldn'y get hold of control. I'm sure they are run off their feet today. I see the train is now cancelled. The 21:00 to Portsmouth departed at least. Good job these trains now call at Godalming

People did their usual thing of squashing on in carriage 3 of 5 and I boarded carriage 1 and got a seat.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
So would only one line need to be cautioned when an object is struck or would both lines be cautioned at the same place?

The 20:45 London Waterloo to Haslemere had a guard but no driver and they couldn'y get hold of control. I'm sure they are run off their feet today. I see the train is now cancelled. The 21:00 to Portsmouth departed at least. Good job these trains now call at Gomshall.
That would be difficult its got no juice guess you mean Godalming8-)

TEW

Established Member
Seems odd that 2F02 didn't stop before Surbiton for inspection given what the Twitter user above said and the location so suggests the driver wasn't that concerned at least initially.
From the report it sounds like it was immediately reported but it may not have have been necessary to inspect the train immediately.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not sure about the west. All I know is that incidents in the incident area have affected the whole Wessex Network for many years, I don’t think today is anything exceptional.
Affect it, naturally. Result in a wholesale suspension of services for five hours? Almost never.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Affect it, naturally. Result in a wholesale suspension of services for five hours? Almost never.
After the 18:45 London Waterloo to Portsmouth Habour service departed, there wasn't another cast service via Guildford until the 21:00. I see that one was allowed to call at additional stations south of Guildford, but not Clapham Junction.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
After the 18:45 London Waterloo to Portsmouth Habour service departed, there wasn't another cast service via Guildford until the 21:00. I see that one was allowed to call at additional stations south of Guildford, but not Clapham Junction.
Absolute rubbish service and i bet tomorrow we will be plagued with stock and crews displaced as an excuse why they still can't run even the mediocre service they now provide

RichSwitch

In theory, in practice GTR have five Tph crossing on the flat between Havant and Farlington Junctions interwoven with a GWR and 2 SWR at Cosham. Even 1ph diverted "Scum Express" via Havant causes chaos across the south coast now.
And not just on the railway. The barrier gates at Cosham are down for long enough per hour already causing traffic pilebacks. Sorry, off topic.

D6130

Established Member
Interesting, does this mean that 159s have been tested for platform clearance at St Margarets, for example,
Possibly....I'm not certain to be honest. It may be that they have not be cleared for the Guildford New Line simply because no one has yet requested a test run, thinking that they would never have to run that way.
and 801s at Hertford North?
No problem there....the IET units have sliding pocket doors which don't infringe the loading gauge.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

The 20:45 London Waterloo to Haslemere had a guard but no driver and they couldn'y get hold of control. I'm sure they are run off their feet today. I see the train is now cancelled. The 21:00 to Portsmouth departed at least. Good job these trains now call at Godalming

People did their usual thing of squashing on in carriage 3 of 5 and I boarded carriage 1 and got a seat.

The 21.00 has always called at Godalming. All down fasts after the evening peak did and many at Farncombe too. In part to make up for the lack of evening xx15 departures in those days.

Absolute rubbish service and i bet tomorrow we will be plagued with stock and crews displaced as an excuse why they still can't run even the mediocre service they now provide

Mediocre service? SWR aside from when major faults on the network have a relatively low level of cancellations compared to many TOCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.