• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby Platform 7 - Why isn't it used? (and other unused platforms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
Rochdale platform 2 is only used for disruption turnbacks these days

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BeijingDave

A bunch of platforms at Stirling I assume, given it has 9 numbered platforms (2-10).

Edit: apparently 4-5 bays are unused and 7-8 are rarely used. A brief look at its services suggests it could easily cope with 4 platforms rather than 9.

mcmad

A bunch of platforms at Stirling I assume, given it has 9 numbered platforms (2-10).

Edit: apparently 4-5 bays are unused and 7-8 are rarely used. A brief look at its services suggests it could easily cope with 4 platforms rather than 9.
All the bay platforms are used overnight for stabling stock at Stirling. 7&8 were used after the post electrification service uplift but little use post COVID.

Sunset route

Established Member
Norwood Junction Platform 7 hasn’t been used since Three Bridges ASC took over the area in the early 1980s and maybe long before that.

Llandudno

Established Member
Platform 5 at Llandudno Junction has railway style signage but is actually a grotty bus shelter in the station car park area offering ‘interchange’ with non coordinated bus services!

Western 52

P3 at Bridgend is rarely used, mainly to terminate Maesteg trains during disruption or engineering works. The track layout does not allow access from the main line.

AndyW33

What is it about the number 7!
Same basic problem at Preston and Derby. At Derby Platform 7 isn't protected against movements from the depot, at Preston there are no traps protecting other platform roads from unauthorised movements out of 7

ls2270

Established Member
Bay Platform 2 at Fareham has no scheduled passenger trains, but is frequently used to recess late running Southern trains that have terminated at Fareham and during engineering possessions.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Elecman

Established Member
Same basic problem at Preston and Derby. At Derby Platform 7 isn't protected against movements from the depot, at Preston there are no traps protecting other platform roads from unauthorised movements out of 7
Nor any protection out of the sidings by Corporation Street depot

william.martin

On Moderation
Apologies if these have already been mentioned however platform 3 at Wellington and 6 at Wolverhampton are very rarely used.
I have lived 7 miles from Wellington station for 11 years and have only seen a public service use it once, an early terminating 170 in the summer of this year.
The only time I have seen Wolverhampton (wich I have to visit regularly) platform 6 in use was when I was onboard another (yep it was this long ago) London Midland170 wich terminated early for a broken rail.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Apologies if these have already been mentioned however platform 3 at Wellington and 6 at Wolverhampton are very rarely used.
I have lived 7 miles from Wellington station for 11 years and have only seen a public service use it once, an early terminating 170 in the summer of this year.
The only time I have seen Wolverhampton (wich I have to visit regularly) platform 6 in use was when I was onboard another (yep it was this long ago) London Midland170 wich terminated early for a broken rail.
6 at Wolves is an operational pig to use.

InOban

Established Member
Oban platform 4 - as far as I am aware, only used for ECS when 2 trains end up in Oban at the same time, which is unusual especially in passenger service (RHTT uses it and possibly to stable the stock from the summer Sunday Edinburgh turn)
Two trains are in Oban every Saturday and Sunday afternoon throughout the year. The 16.11 departures leave from 4 on both days. It's also used by excursion trains.

Last edited:

MadMac

4 & 5 aren’t signalled for passenger use. Is there anything that terminates at Stirling these days?

BoroAndy

Scarborough P5 has been very rarely used over the past umpteen years, but the new timetable when ref against RTT shows it now has 1 in and 1 out every day for TPE. Trying to imagine a 68+Mk5 squeezed up in that corner.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Bay Platform 2 at Fareham has no scheduled passenger trains, but is frequently used to recess late running Southern trains that have terminated at Fareham and during engineering possessions.
Yes, I was treated to a 5 carriage 158 on my return to Cardiff on Tuesday, waiting for me on Platform 2 due to engineering works between Portsmouth and Cosham :D

I don't think anyone's mentioned the bay at Kingston, which is typically only used during planned engineering work on the route to London Waterloo via Norbiton.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Yes, I was treated to a 5 carriage 158 on my return to Cardiff on Tuesday, waiting for me on Platform 2 due to engineering works between Portsmouth and Cosham :D

I don't think anyone's mentioned the bay at Kingston, which is typically only used during planned engineering work on the route to London Waterloo via Norbiton.
There are scheduled services that use it - end-of-day services terminating at Kingston from the Twickenham direction, and the occasional random decision to terminate a late-running Waterloo-bound service there for operational convenience. It won't take more than 8 cars though, so there will be much less of this when if the Class 701s come in to service. (The signalling now allows Platform 2 to be used for reversal)

Exeter St David's Platform 2 was never used in service. It was just an extra siding. Now that the Okehampton service has come back, it gets use every now and then.

Eloise

It's Platform 2A.
I've caught a Southern train from there and it didn't seem unusual at the time. I nearly missed it because I interpreted the signs for 2A as meaning the South end of Platform 2. Because it is short, 2A is not particularly noticeable from Platform 2, it looks like the South end of Platform 1, if that makes sense.

Platform 5 at Northampton is a sort of island with a track on the other side, though rusted and never used (I think I can remember correctly)
Platform 5 at Northampton had some booked workings early morning and evenings but 4 was used for the Birmingham turnbacks until the timetable change. Platform 5 used during disruption or a set swap. There is a line adjacent to Platform 5 (heard it called the Horse Dock) which is very rusty and never seen anything on it. Be challenging given greenery in the four foot at the country end from memory.

Since the timetable change in December I can't see any passengers trains using Platform 2 at Northampton now. I only swept TRUST for a weekday. A few ECS but all northbound passenger services use Platform 3 or some early morning departures use the Platforms 4 / 5.

fkofilee

Seen GWR services terminate in the bay too! :) Although quite a while ago.

Also York Platform 2 is rarely used from my understanding for passenger services.

Class800

Established Member
Exeter St Davids platform 2 is very rarely used in routine service (I am not prepared to say never as haven't time to check all running records). It was used initially for Okehampton services but these now usually run through from Exeter Central using platform 3

Status
Not open for further replies.