• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Destination Screens on the Tube network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I have been told that some Tube stations do not have information screens on the platform. I have been told that Rayners Lane is one of them. Is there a reason why it does not have them (considering that it is served by two lines)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
I have been told that some Tube stations do not have information screens on the platform. I have been told that Rayners Lane is one of them. Is there a reason why it does not have them (considering that it is served by two lines)
There are many stations across the network that do not have any form of platform destination indicators.
Others had indicators installed some years ago which only show the Line name, direction and current time only. These potentially could show train arrival information.
Unfortunately these are in areas where the signalling system have not been upgraded yet and are unable to interpret information for the display screens. Hopefully with signalling upgrades now happening on the Northern and the whole SSR these screens should finally show what was intended.

However, even screens put up just a few years ago are now finding they are obsolete for the new signalling systems coming along, example the Victoria Line which is receiving much smaller displays capable of showing much more detailed information.

Rayners Lane is also a listed station which may have a strong barring on things.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I didn't realise until a couple of years ago that there were tube stations with no information at all, having just assumed the screens were missing or broken. I noticed only because the various apps couldn't report information either.

Until then I always assumed every station had them!

bluenoxid

Established Member
When it got raised and I had a quick look, a voice said to me that it would most probably be listed. Whilst listing is a pain, it is not the largest deterrent in the world to the introduction of screens.

tom1649

When it got raised and I had a quick look, a voice said to me that it would most probably be listed. Whilst listing is a pain, it is not the largest deterrent in the world to the introduction of screens.

If listing means that LUL can't install any more of those ugly roof railings then it's definitely a good thing.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Am I right in thinking that the District Railway era describers at Earls Court have some sort of protection order on them?

Daniel

Established Member
As an example of why Rayners Lane doesn't have screens, the Metropolitan line runs on TD's - signalling codes which show the destination and calling pattern of a train.

For example -

UX0 - all stations Uxbridge
UX4 - Finchley Road - Harrow OTH - West Harrow all stations Uxbridge
RU0 - all stations Ruislip

However, for whatever reason, these TD codes do not pass between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Rayners Lane signal cabins. As such, when a train towards Uxbridge departs Harrow the TD code drops off, and when a train arrives at Harrow from the Uxbridge branch the Harrow signaller has to set the TD manually.

Dstock7080

Established Member
If listing means that LUL can't install any more of those ugly roof railings then it's definitely a good thing.
Items for "health & safety" reasons, such as station lighting and those awful railings are an exemption to Listing.

MCR247

Established Member
Wow they do look pretty awful at Redbridge and really do ruin it

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Wow they do look pretty awful at Redbridge and really do ruin it

They spoil the clean lines of the design - and do elsewhere too.

I suppose needs must, and it's important to consider safety of maintenance workers who need to be on the roof - just a pity there isn't a less intrusive way of doing it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't realise until a couple of years ago that there were tube stations with no information at all, having just assumed the screens were missing or broken. I noticed only because the various apps couldn't report information either.
The DMIs on station platforms receive their data from a different place to the data which originates from the data which TfL releases (and is used by those who make Apps).

LE Greys

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that the District Railway era describers at Earls Court have some sort of protection order on them?

I believe so, although last time I was there, they only came on just before the train arrived. Surely, there could be some way to switch them on earlier.

causton

Established Member
I believe so, although last time I was there, they only came on just before the train arrived. Surely, there could be some way to switch them on earlier.

It may be down to the signaller and when they are given the route into the particular platform. There is a small board at the bottom of the stairs on each island showing the next 5 or so trains, but no platforms are shown up until (usually IME) when the lightbox comes up showing the train!

DavyCrocket

It may be down to the signaller and when they are given the route into the particular platform. There is a small board at the bottom of the stairs on each island showing the next 5 or so trains, but no platforms are shown up until (usually IME) when the lightbox comes up showing the train!

Only if the destination is being manually changed and that train will be the next to that platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.