• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diamond Bus East Midlands (was Midland Classic of Burton)

Russel

Second Diamond vehicle has arrived in the form of an Open Top ALX400 with fleet number 40100 and reg FOR 35T.

I saw that come up on Facebook a few days ago, any idea what the plan for it is?

I can't s see sight Seeing tours of Burton Upon Trent being a massive success.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubs

use the wayback machine on bus companies websites. Most sites go back to 2000s.
The early days of midland classic are about as far back as you can go as regards to Ashby bus routes, so not much use unfortunately.

IIRC the 118 ended up becoming an arriva service that they changed during the early 00's to either the 28a/28b or was it 217/218 which now forms most of the current 29/29a.

Maybe one of the more mature members of the forum may know more about the exact history 118 route.
Either way I have a feeling I should stop my research so that I don't get too annoyed that none of the routes exist anymore! The X99 if it still existed would be pretty useful for me

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
IIRC the 118 ended up becoming an arriva service that they changed during the early 00's to either the 28a/28b or was it 217/218 which now forms most of the current 29/29a.

Maybe one of the more mature members of the forum may know more about the exact history 118 route.
If you look at https://timetableworld.com/timetables.php you can find the Midland Red timetable for 1973, or the Great British Bus Timetable from 1997

Andy Pacer

Established Member

The 217 and 218 were the Sunday versions of thr 117 and 118 supported by Leicestershire County Council.

The 118 lasted until 2006 when it was replaced by the X2 that ran through to Burton, which in 2009 turned into the 9/29 services (9 Burton to Coalville, changing to a 29 onto Leicester).

I would be reluctant to call myself a "mature" member, but I was an Ashby lad so recall much about local buses!

Tubs

I have heard from a few people that apparently the number 9 is being cut? Is this true, because if so my only option is the 19 which takes about an hour and a half?

Established Member
I have heard from a few people that apparently the number 9 is being cut? Is this true, because if so my only option is the 19 which takes about an hour and a half?
I can't see it being cut completely maybe to hourly or reduced hours? A couple of routes seem to have changes on the 5th September but I can't find any details about timetable changes on this date. Maybe they will appear tomorrow or later in the week.

Current and future bus service registrations​

FromToViaLast changed
PD1050801/1610Burton Upon Trent, New StreetRough Hay, Acorn Inn5 Sep 22
PD1050801/26402Burton upon TrentUttoxeterQueens Hospital, Bean Hill5 Sep 22
PD1050801/59BranstonAshby Market StreetBurton, Swadlincote5 Sep 22

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I'd heard that the Ashby to Airport leg may be being withdrawn, but not seen anything official yet.

Established Member
No sign of any changes to the 9 but the following routes have changes from Monday:
10 - returns to normal route and timetable with some minor retiming in the evening
X12 - Returns to every 30 min on Saturdays. New Sunday service running hourly between 0810 and 1710 from Burton.
12 - most services from Lichfield run 5 mins later. 1520 12E no longer runs.
31/32 - minor change in the evening
401 - 0700 from Burton finishes at Foston. New 0826 from Tutbury which starts back at Burton at 0800 on Saturdays. 1550 from Uttoxeter retimed to 1615.
406 - 0830 journey is removed.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
No sign of any changes to the 9 but the following routes have changes from Monday:
10 - returns to normal route and timetable with some minor retiming in the evening
X12 - Returns to every 30 min on Saturdays. New Sunday service running hourly between 0810 and 1710 from Burton.
12 - most services from Lichfield run 5 mins later. 1520 12E no longer runs.
31/32 - minor change in the evening
401 - 0700 from Burton finishes at Foston. New 0826 from Tutbury which starts back at Burton at 0800 on Saturdays. 1550 from Uttoxeter retimed to 1615.
406 - 0830 journey is removed.
Is there a link to this please?

Established Member
Thanks, I was expecting something on the home page or service updates section but thanks for the pointer!
In the past they have put something on the homepage about the upcoming changes.

The following has appeared on the bus times fleet list today
31417 YY15 NJF - Enviro 200 in Johnson's livery
40725 MX20 HVJ - Streetdeck in Diamond livery

Established Member
Thanks, I was expecting something on the home page or service updates section but thanks for the pointer!
The home page now has a link to a PDF with more details about the changes. The 11 and 19 also have minor changes. By the looks of things the 401 and 406 could of been withdrawn altogether along with the Ashby - Airport section of the 9 looking at the PDF.

Tubs

Every single ex-midland classic bus I've seen in the past week now has the Diamond logo on a red background, stuck over the old logo above the driver's seat and the door. Also price changes coming on September 26th.

Established Member
Every single ex-midland classic bus I've seen in the past week now has the Diamond logo on a red background, stuck over the old logo above the driver's seat and the door. Also price changes coming on September 26th.
Didn't notice much rebranding on Saturday. Only the poster behind the driver and diamond logo on the ticket. A good amount of the fleet had been re numbered but some vehicles still had the midland classic fleet numbers.

Tubs

Haven't got a picture but it looks like Diamond have started repainting the ex-Midland Classic buses. Couldn't get a good view as I was driving past the depot, but diamond logo is on the side but the midland classic logo has been left on the back window.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Haven't got a picture but it looks like Diamond have started repainting the ex-Midland Classic buses. Couldn't get a good view as I was driving past the depot, but diamond logo is on the side but the midland classic logo has been left on the back window.
Some of the other Brighter Diamond vehicles are also exports from Diamond Bus WM as well (some of the ex Johnsons of Henley and ex Central Buses fleet)

Established Member
Route 20 now seems to be run by both Diamond East Midlands and West Midlands. With West Midlands being the main operator and East Midlands helping on the evening journeys.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Route 20 now seems to be run by both Diamond East Midlands and West Midlands. With West Midlands being the main operator and East Midlands helping on the evening journeys.
It makes sense really. A route in Tamworth being ran by Tamworth depot (which recently had a PVR Cut so likely staff available) and leaves East Midlands to focus on their new Derby routes.

Simon75

On Moderation
What is the the current pvr (peak vehicle requirement) of the Burton garage, as at night looked very packed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
What is the the current pvr (peal vehicle requirement) of the Burton garage, as at night looked very packed
I make it 63 vehicles in the fleet with 46 being used today looking at bus times. This week is the school holidays when they return next week that figure will likely be around 50 or just over I would say.

Also it seems that 31428 KW14 MCL is the next vehicle to be repainted. This was one of the X12 flyer branded vehicles.

Established Member
3 of the Scania Irizar i3's have left the fleet and returned to Reading buses. These being 30997, 998 and 999.

Route 32 on weekdays is now run by Diamond West Midlands and also seems to be the X11.

CAF397

I saw that come up on Facebook a few days ago, any idea what the plan for it is?

I can't s see sight Seeing tours of Burton Upon Trent being a massive success.
It was based at Bolton depot and named 'Julia' often used as a staff bus!

markymark2000

On Moderation
To be fair, it would have been ideal for a Manchester Sightseeing tour to compete against Transpora
Transporas bus tour only just has enough passengers to run as it does now, let alone adding in another tour.

(Evidence based off the low frequency of the Transpora tour and the fact that it's operating days are still in the smaller numbers)