• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diamond Bus East Midlands (was Midland Classic of Burton)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zkyx2

So, is Deluxe a case of 'fronting'? - which normally results in licence revocation.

He's been banned quite a few times. Fleet is always for sale, high turnover of vehicles.
Yeah, from checking vosa it’s currently registered in his brothers name… seems to be a major loophole with O-Licenses being registered in other peoples names, I’ve attached a screenshot from the vosa website.
Without trying to veer off topic here, have you any idea what plans Lichfield City Coaches and Buslink have for all of these buses, competition with Diamond for tenders, new commercial routes? I had noticed all of these ex Rotala ones on the monthly fleet changes so makes sense now knowing where they’ve ended up.

(I see Lichfield City Coaches have won a tender for a Burton route as mentioned earlier)
Well obviously LCC is Mike James & bus link is James boddice, James has recently started running boots contracts & that seems to be all that’s registered on bus link so far.
As an aside, does anyone know what happened to the open top decker Diamond East Mids had. Also, I think read somewhere that Diamond was losing their Derby routes soon but I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone know if its true or not as I'm planning on heading to Derby middle of next month and was hoping to photo/ride the Diamond routes there.
I’ve heard this too, the route is cancelled with affect from the 2nd of October 2023, I’ve heard rumours apparently a DRT (demand responsive transport) service is starting, but who knows. I’ve attached a screenshot again of the cancellation & the open topper is withdrawn I believe, it’s been sat doing nothing for over a year & I think by now it would’ve rotten itself away, shame though as it could’ve been put to good use as a tree looper, or even been sold on.
Mike James almost win the tender for route 22 & 24 and buy a 53 plate Optare Solo to be used on them.
what are you on about? He has a solo which is already in service.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.png
    IMG_1266.png
    897.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1267.png
    IMG_1267.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 39

station_road

The 9/9a Derby to Ockbrook service finishes 1 October 2023 according to the Diamond website, that doesn't seem to affect their other services in Derby (70, 70a). The 9 is being taken over by Vectare with an improved timetable (which isn't yet available anywhere).

From 2nd October 2023​

Please be aware that Service 9 & 9A will no longer be operated by Diamond Bus from 2nd October 2023, due the end of our contract period to operate these services.

https://www.diamondbuses.com/service-updates/?region=Derbyshire

[9 Derby - Ockbrook:] Service will be operated by Vectare with an improved timetable from 2nd October 2023
https://derbysbus.info/times/tt_1_16.htm

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Posts referring to Lichfield City Coaches have been moved here:

Last edited:

Established Member
From the 29th the 8 will return to every half hour on Saturdays as per weekdays. Along with this there will now be additional evening journeys and some existing ones will work through to the Hospital. I believe some of this maybe to do with Derbyshire BSIP.

Service 8 Timetable Change 16/10/2023 14:11:14​

From 29th October 2023​

A new enhanced timetable will be introduced on Service 8 from 29th October. These enhancements will include: Additonal later journeys Monday to Saturday and increased frequency from hourly to half-hourly on Saturdays.

New timetable available to download here.

Affected Services: 8
Affected Regions: Derbyshire, Staffordshire

Also reported in the latest Buses mag that arrived today that 40635 and 40638 has been acquired by James Boddice. Presumably for his new buslink operation.

Established Member
Some updates from looking at bustimes.

The final Gemini 3 has now entered service. 40614 BF15 KFC

Looks like the repaints have started on the fleet with E400 40522 and the Evora 31003 showing as being painted and both entering service today.

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
30991 has now been painted into Diamond Bus according to bustimes.org

E200 31423 (34) YX12 AYZ has been withdrawn after have a RTA on Wednesday and will be going for scrap.

Last edited:

Established Member

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
Litchfield City routes 31/32 go back to there old routes (clockwise/anticlockwise loops) from the 7th January and no longer interworks with the X12 for the 31. Not that you will no it from the Diamond website but the peak workings also transfer to Chaserider (before 1000 and after 1430) on all days.

New timetables:
They should never have changed the 31 & 32 route in the first place.

baz2277

Any idea why i'm seeing more buses recently without destination blinds working? Sometimes just a plain number stuck in the windscreen or nothing at all!

markymark2000

On Moderation
And to add insult to injury for passengers using the Diamond network, Diamond is now withdrawing from the Staffordshire Knot, multi operator ticket. So not only have Diamond withdrawn recently from ticket acceptance with Select and Chaserider, and cut back on services so that services are to be ran by 2 companies, they are now also withdrawing from the council multi operator scheme. Just how anti passenger can Diamond be? Old Midland Classic is going down the drain under Diamonds leadership.

Changes to Staffordshire Knot ticket acceptance 02/01/2024 15:21:35​

From 19th January 2024​

From 19th January 2024, Diamond Bus will no longer accept Staffordshire Knot Multi-Operator tickets on our services.

To continue to accept Knot tickets, would impact on the commercial viability of our services in the Staffordshire area.
Therefore we have taken the decision to leave the Knot scheme.

Any idea why i'm seeing more buses recently without destination blinds working? Sometimes just a plain number stuck in the windscreen or nothing at all!
It's the Diamond Midlands way of working. Same as how Kidderminster and Redditch depots operated for many years.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I have noticed that the nice shiny fleet of Streetdecks, which operated the 16 or 16A into Birmingham in the latter half of last year, seem to have dispersed. In the last few weeks I have noticed older buses and single deckers on the route. In fact last week I noticed a dead 15 plate decker outside the Colmore building with a gaggle of pax and a female driver loitering on the pavement, suggesting it had conked out.

WM Bus

I have noticed that the nice shiny fleet of Streetdecks, which operated the 16 or 16A into Birmingham in the latter half of last year, seem to have dispersed. In the last few weeks I have noticed older buses and single deckers on the route. In fact last week I noticed a dead 15 plate decker outside the Colmore building with a gaggle of pax and a female driver loitering on the pavement, suggesting it had conked out.
Tividale don't have any 15 plate deckers.
The 16A sitll sees streetdecks, but Streetlites and Pulsars regularly appear as well and sometimes solos as well.
The 16 from NX Perry Barr see mostly platinums, standard E400/Omnilinks also make regular appearances to.

The 15 plate deckers are ran from Burton depot on the closed door contract run to Amazon Rugeley. Though I assume this will finish soon as that site is closing I believe.

Last edited:

Established Member
The 70/70a in Derby either always has paper in the window (like today) or just displays the old route number of 73!

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
Apparently Burton are having more buses from Bolton to replace the L94 Scanias. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leyland Bus

Apparently Burton are having more buses from Bolton to replace the L94 Scanias. Can anyone confirm this, please?
It was always the intention that the Streetlites would be cascaded from Bolton/Eccles upon arrival of the new E200MMCs, so I'd imagine this is still happening...

Established Member
I have asked the question on the WM bus forum. I think the Bee Network E200MMC's will cause a bit of a cascade through the larger midlands fleet.

Along with the 31/32 changes posted above, the X12 will change on Monday as well to give more of a layover at Lichfield and slightly longer journeys at around 35 mins during the day.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Tividale don't have any 15 plate deckers.
The 16A sitll sees streetdecks, but Streetlites and Pulsars regularly appear as well and sometimes solos as well.
The 16 from NX Perry Barr see mostly platinums, standard E400/Omnilinks also make regular appearances to.
Thanks. Perhaps I have seen the odd Pulsar then as well as Streetlites. It seems as though those ex Bolton streetdecks were pretty solid in the summer and autumn on the 16A
The 15 plate deckers are ran from Burton depot on the closed door contract run to Amazon Rugeley. Though I assume this will finish soon as that site is closing I believe.
That will explain it then. The 15 plate decker was in the bus stop layby outside the Colmore building totally dead and with no lights on at about 0550 in the morning. I assumed it had failed but perhaps it was the Amazon service, even though I would expect at least some lighting and heating on it if it was waiting time.

Thanks again

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
I have asked the question on the WM bus forum. I think the Bee Network E200MMC's will cause a bit of a cascade through the larger midlands fleet.

Along with the 31/32 changes posted above, the X12 will change on Monday as well to give more of a layover at Lichfield and slightly longer journeys at around 35 mins during the day.

So Burton will mostly likely have the Streetlites from Bolton.

StreetDeck 40830 has now been transferred to Burton.

Scania L94UB 30901 (76) has reportedly been withdrawn from service.

Last edited:

Established Member
Do you have a source for this or is it an assumption based on posts in here?
It is speculation. Simon Dunn said that no decision has been made on where the fleet will go on the WM bus forum.

So Burton will mostly likely have the Streetlites from Bolton.

StreetDeck 40830 has now been transferred to Burton.

Scania L94UB 30901 (76) has reportedly been withdrawn from service.
40830 seems to have gone back to the West Midlands now with 40828 and 40837 appearing on the bustimes fleet list today.

Last edited:

TheNerdCharlie

Is there any update on when the new buses may arrive? Is Diamond still planning to repaint the ex Midland Classic fleet? t seems like they started it up, doing one E400, the Evora and a couple of Metrocitys, and then stopped; will they do the rest?

Established Member
Is there any update on when the new buses may arrive? Is Diamond still planning to repaint the ex Midland Classic fleet? t seems like they started it up, doing one E400, the Evora and a couple of Metrocitys, and then stopped; will they do the rest?
This was posted on the WM bus forum yesterday so maybe they are waiting for what comes out of Manchester first?
Yes it is a permanent transfer. After 1st March we will register around 30 new buses in Manchester. This will mean a large number of vehicles will transfer out to Preston, Heathrow and the Midlands. Exactly what - we haven't exactly decided yet.

Established Member
Scania Solar 30902 seems to now be withdrawn

A few vehicles from Manchester are expected to move to the West Midlands over the weekend. With this E200's 31419, 31420 and 31421 are then to move from Kidderminster to Burton.

Established Member
Rotala has put in a Zebra 2 bid which includes 6 vehicles for Burton for the routes 8 & 9.

Rotala plans significant investment in carbon reduction technologies​

18 March 2024

West Midlands North West Derbyshire Leicestershire Shropshire Staffordshire Surrey Warwickshire Worcestershire
Rotala Limited, the parent company of Diamond Bus, has plans to make huge strides over the next 12 months towards reducing the carbon footprint of our operations, through a combination of business investment and with assistance of Government funding though the ZEBRA2 Scheme.

ZEBRA2 is a £129m government scheme to fund Zero Emission buses across the UK as part of their Bus Back Better Strategy. Through working in close partnership with several local councils, Rotala and the Local Transport Authorities have applied for a number of Zebra funding awards which will enable the business to deliver some great benefits to communities up and down the country.

The award of these funding opportunities would enable Rotala to invest in brand new vehicles across our group businesses including:

• 14 new Electric Vehicles for Diamond Bus in the West Midlands operating on services 4H & 45
  • 10 new Electric Vehicles for Preston Bus in Lancashire, for services 19 & 100
  • 6 new Electric Vehicles for Diamond East Midlands services 8 & 9 across Staffordshire and into south Derbyshire.
It is anticipated that the introduction of EV buses on these routes would contribute to a carbon saving of 8,692 tonnes CO2e in just the Staffordshire county alone.

Subject to funding, Rotala would also plan to directly finance the acquisition of additional brand new vehicles including, Approximately 15 Euro 6 Low emission certified ‘mini’ buses for the Midlands region, which have been identified through previous operations to be beneficial when operating on urban, Demand Responsive and lower volume routes.

Production of 3 Custom Denning Electric Vehicles has already been completed. Pictured below leaving the manufacture, these are set to be operational on bus routes around Heathrow Airport as early as Mid-2024.

The investment plans do not stop at vehicle acquisitions. Zebra funding awards also cover upgrades to depots to develop the necessary infrastructure to support these zero emission vehicles:

• Zebra funding would allow the business to further plans for the introduction of solar panels and electrical charging points upgrades to both Burton & Tividale depots.
  • In Preston, plans for the modernisation of the historical Deepdale Rd depot will bring new, efficient upgrades to the building and if successful with our ZEBRA bid – we would additionally improve the electrical infrastructure here too.
CEO of Rotala Limited, Simon Dunn said, “By making bus services a much more desirable alternative to the car, we can achieve the much-needed modal shift that our towns and cities need to meet carbon reduction targets and reduce congestion on our roads today. The award of government funding would mean that as a business, we could forge ahead with our key goals of bringing cleaner and greener bus services to the local communities we serve.”