• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diamond Bus East Midlands (was Midland Classic of Burton)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
Who here thinks Dart 30960 - EU06 WGM should be transferred to Burton so they can continue painting the MC buses at Burton?

zkyx2

It won’t; they aren’t having any more transfers for a while & repaints won’t be done until North West has been sorted out.

Established Member
Bring back Midland Classic i say
It would be nice to have kept Midland Classic. I'm sure if they were still in change they would of updated the blinds for when routes change. Every day I see the 70/70A in Derby with 73 still showing and a paper 70 in the windscreen.

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
It would be nice to have kept Midland Classic. I'm sure if they were still in change they would of updated the blinds for when routes change. Every day I see the 70/70A in Derby with 73 still showing and a paper 70 in the windscreen.
Most of the blinds are broken

31433 has a broken blind

Attachments

• 20230818_150752.jpg
    20230818_150752.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:

zkyx2

Unfortunately Diamond has put someone in charge of the blinds who already has enough to do (with the added effect they have never done them). They’ve made many positive timetable changes & the fleet's oldest bus is now 2004 (not for long). So what if they haven’t repainted a few buses? They’ll get round to it when they don’t have Manchester's Bee Network to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Most of the blinds are broken

31433 has a broken blind
Looks like they were waiting for the timetable change/start of school term as the 70 this morning was now using the correct blind.

Looking at the tracking on Bus Times there appears to now be a regular weekday double deck duty on the 9 with a second one out for much of today as well. The regular one for the last week has been:

0650 Woodville - Queens Hospital
0750 Queens Hospital - Airport
0942 Airport - Queens Hospital
1135 Queens Hospital - Ashby
1247 Ashby - Queens Hospital
1405 Queens Hospital - Airport
1605 Airport - Queens Hospital
1800 Queens Hospital - Ashby

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
Looks like they were waiting for the timetable change/start of school term as the 70 this morning was now using the correct blind.

Looking at the tracking on Bus Times there appears to now be a regular weekday double deck duty on the 9 with a second one out for much of today as well. The regular one for the last week has been:

There has always been a Decker on the 9.

Tubs

There has always been a Decker on the 9.
Usually at off peak times. It's getting better but it's often that I'll be on the 9 on a Saturday afternoon and there's a lot of people packed in a single deck bus but they'll run it with a double decker at 7pm on a weekday

Kettledrum

I'm curious as to why they are using a double decker on this route. Whenever I see buses on this route (between Ashby and the airport) they are pretty empty.

Established Member
I'm curious as to why they are using a double decker on this route. Whenever I see buses on this route (between Ashby and the airport) they are pretty empty.
When I have seen them they do have reasonable loading at the Burton end.

Established Member
Probably be sorted in a few days. 40824/40826 I think tracked as other decker's for a few days last week before starting tracking correctly earlier in the week.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I assume you aren't aware of Diamonds reputation in the West Midlands...

In the early days it wasn't unknown form them to send buses out with no ticket machine at all.
Tbf Diamond have always been hit and miss. I remember their Birmingham Coach days in the late 90s/early 00s with their nationals that could appear in one of 3 liveries

Russel

Don’t get me wrong I am aware, but sending a bus out with a ticket machine from another bus isn’t to do with quality

It depends how long it stays like it though.

I was a frequent user of Diamond between 2005-2010 ish and some of the things I saw have left me with a very poor impression of them, if they really have turned a corner when it comes to quality, then fair plan, but I'm yet to be convinced...

Russel

It doesn’t matter what ticket machine it has, as long as it can issue tickets. It only really affects the enthusiast

Ticket machines print the fleet number on the ticket usually which has the potential to cause discrepancies later on.

I know it's not a major issue, but quality and attention to detail has never been a strong point for Rotala.

But I'll leave it at that.