• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Difference in restrictions between 16 - 25 and Senior Railcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #3 originally from this thread.

I'm hearing from a reliable staff source that the minimum fare on the 16-25 is due to rise to £15 next year. Presumably the 26-30 will be the same.
Why not introduce a minimum fare on the OAP (except half of them are still working in much higher paid jobs than 16-25 year olds...) railcard rather than yet again make the offer to the young worse

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Why not introduce a minimum fare on the OAP (except half of them are still working in much higher paid jobs than 16-25 year olds...) railcard rather than yet again make the offer to the young worse

After 40 years of work, and raising the next generation, I think those 60+ deserve a little back.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The differences in policy between the 16-25 and Senior railcards do make sense, at least within the Network Railcard area:

Senior Railcard holders making journeys wholly within the Network Railcard area cannot obtain discount on tickets used to travel before the Off Peak Day Return is valid. This prevents use for commuting to work.

16-25 Railcard holders can get discount led fares at any time subject to the £12 minimum fare. At face value this seems unfair as under 25 year olds can get discounted fares to commute to work in the morning (if the undiscounted fare is more then c£18). However this helps under 25 year olds who probably earn a far lower wage than older workers and who are less likely to be able to afford the upfront price of a season ticket. I can’t see this being changed given that the Government wishes to help younger people with the cost of living.

Starmill

Veteran Member
After 40 years of work, and raising the next generation, I think those 60+ deserve a little back.

Is it worth re-hashing this argument again and again? They are far more likely to have more money at their disposal than someone who is 18.

Even if we did redo that debate (and I feel nobody would have their mind changed) there is no sense in which the lack of a minimum fare is there to 'give a little back' to people over 60. It's purely there as a commercial consideration. Also, they are restricted in the South East in a way that 16-25 railcards are not.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If the minimum fare is going up, how about letting us have our 1/3 off First walkup fares as well as just advances? :D

bnm

Established Member
Is it worth re-hashing this argument again and again? They are far more likely to have more money at their disposal than someone who is 18.

And they have paid far more in taxes to support the railways during their working life.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Someone just starting their career 20 or 30 years ago is a in far better place than now to get a job that allows them to pay those taxes.

As I said this argument is pointless, I do not agree with you and you are unlikely to agree with me. All the same your attempt to link a point about inter-generational fairness to the railcard restrictions, which are a commercial tool, is entirely fallacious.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If the minimum fare is going up, how about letting us have our 1/3 off First walkup fares as well as just advances? :D

If this were permitted, the total amount of money I spend on fares in a year would go up, not down.

Imagine I'm travelling from Sheffield to Derby and back on the same day, which is something I have done before and might want to do again. With a 16-25 railcard, Standard class is £7.60 and First Class is £17.30. I might pay for First Class as a special treat at the factor of 2.3 but for a journey as short as this. I would almost always just choose Standard and pay the £7.60. However, to someone with a Senior railcard the First Class fare is just £11.40. For just £3.80 more, even though it's a short journey, I would almost certainly just choose First Class.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally, I think there should be one set of Railcard discount levels and T&Cs. This would allow a massive simplification of discounts - there would need only to be adult, Railcard and child.

Harbouring

Personally, I think there should be one set of Railcard discount levels and T&Cs. This would allow a massive simplification of discounts - there would need only to be adult, Railcard and child.

The disabled railcard does provide some benefits that are useful for to disabled people, buying on board, able to get railcard fares for a companion, useful if asking someone to relieve a priority seat, cheaper but harder to get. The rest are much of a muchness.

paddington

It is absurd that students couldn't get a discount to travel to a lecture being taught by someone who could...

At my university, we often had to travel to another campus during lunchtime (50 minutes by bus or 40 minutes by tube + walking) for "the convenience of the lecturers" based at different campuses. Why they couldn't schedule all lectures at a single campus in one day beats me.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
And they have paid far more in taxes to support the railways during their working life.

Whilst also getting free university tuition, affordable housing, (generally) better pensions,....etc.

bnm

Established Member
Whilst also getting free university tuition, affordable housing, (generally) better pensions,....etc.

And having paid a higher proportion of their income in tax and pension contributions in the 1970s and 1980s.

chorleyjeff

Only the elite few got any full time education after age 18 and most people left school at 16 to start work - no gap years or three years fun but night school or home study to get qualifications, mortgage rates in double figures and pensions that were paid for from age 16 if there was a works pension. Otherwise the miserly old age pension.
The sense of entitlement from some young folk is astounding.

chorleyjeff

And having paid a higher proportion of their income in tax and pension contributions in the 1970s and 1980s.

And paying tax to support a few elite so they could go on and earn lots of money. The elite would include those who though slightly dim had family or other connections that got them to uni. for free.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
It is absurd that students couldn't get a discount to travel to a lecture being taught by someone who could...
I couldn't agree more! I believe it should be equal. Students deserve the discount just as much as a pentioner for the same reason - they generally have less money. So why there is a cap on requiring students to spend MORE money before they can save I don't know. Whether the ticket costs £2 or £8, when it comes to that 34% discount, every little helps when it comes to saving cash as a student.

A 60+ year old lecturer who is still teaching at their age is surely an exception to others. The railcard will not save them as much as other OAPs and they are not the railcard's target market. In contrast the 16-25 is the target market of those over 25 who are students hence why it is offered to them.

Although oldies deserve something back from the system they have paid thousands into, they already receieve free bus travel. Trains are not in the same category really

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The sense of entitlement from some young folk is astounding.
Yes so entitled. Hoping to own their own homes (or even just afford to rent somewhere), raise a family, have decently paid and secure employment. How very dare they.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I couldn't agree more! I believe it should be equal. Students deserve the discount just as much as a pentioner for the same reason - they generally have less money. So why there is a cap on requiring students to spend MORE money before they can save I don't know. Whether the ticket costs £2 or £8, when it comes to that 34% discount, every little helps when it comes to saving cash as a student.

A 60+ year old lecturer who is still teaching at their age is surely an exception to others. The railcard will not save them as much as other OAPs and they are not the railcard's target market. In contrast the 16-25 is the target market of those over 25 who are students hence why it is offered to them.

Although oldies deserve something back from the system they have paid thousands into, they already receieve free bus travel. Trains are not in the same category really

This isn’t the case in the south east as I explain in my earlier post. The current restrictions make perfect sense in that part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.