• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Direct services map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

U-Bahnfreund

Apparent omissions include Northern Ireland Railways, Latvian railways, and some or all of the local "private" railway lines or networks in Italy (e.g. FUC at Udine, FSE at Lecce).
Well that's not the tool's fault, if NIR, Pasažieru vilciens or those Italian railways don't send timetable data to the European timetable centre, where DB gets their data, then the tool, which in turn gets its data from DB, can't display anything about these railways

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Okay. I'm using a Mac with a trackpad, on which I can both pinch and double-click. Does your mouse have a little wheel?

Ah, thanks! Yes, I the mouse does have a wheel, which I basically never use - I don't find using a mouse wheel at all comfortable on the fingers (In fact, after I read your post, I had to look at my mouse to see whether it does have one). But yes, using the wheel does zoom in and out, so that solves that problem.

Personally i would strongly prefer to have the same zoom in/out buttons that you have on Google maps, but I guess you can't complain too much at a site that appear to have been put together for free by people (looking at the links, possibly, one person) in their spare time.

Since the last timetable change, yes. The last train of the day, and only in that direction.

Ah thanks! I guess that shows that the page, nice as it is, is more of a toy for enthusiasts than something that can actually be useful in terms of being familiar with the regular timetable/planning journeys :)

numtot12345

It also looks like it considers Glasgow Central and Queen Street the same station, and Queen street does not load up from the list. So if you click on Glasgow Central, it lists all the stations north of Glasgow which wouldn't otherwise be able to be accessed from Central directly as far as I'm aware.

tommy2215

It also looks like it considers Glasgow Central and Queen Street the same station, and Queen street does not load up from the list. So if you click on Glasgow Central, it lists all the stations north of Glasgow which wouldn't otherwise be able to be accessed from Central directly as far as I'm aware.
All couples of stations that a journey planner might recommend a walk or bus or tram between are shown as the same station on this map. Like all the 3 main Birmingham stations are shown as one, as are the Wakefield stations and Waterloo/Waterloo East.

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
I presume it may also pick up once a day workings which may not be that useful. Some places have odd positioning moves to get trains to/from depot early & late.
Great site, I will find this really useful.

Think service Blackpool North to Carlisle, "Dalesrail" is stretching it a bit though. Even less than once a week on average.

gingerheid

Established Member
Helensburgh Upper is showing services on the Airdrie - Bathgate line, as well as services to Falkirk that I'm pretty sure don't exist from any Helensburgh station?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Helensburgh Upper is showing services on the Airdrie - Bathgate line, as well as services to Falkirk that I'm pretty sure don't exist from any Helensburgh station?
Presumably that's referring to the Oban - Edinburgh summer-only service (1 train per day in the evening IIRC when it was running) which hasn't run for a while now. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

gingerheid

Established Member
Presumably that's referring to the Oban - Edinburgh summer-only service (1 train per day in the evening IIRC when it was running) which hasn't run for a while now. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Oban shows Falkirk, Polmont & Linlithgow but not Edinburgh, so perhaps it is a strange remnant of that!

Strathclyder

Established Member
Oban shows Falkirk, Polmont & Linlithgow but not Edinburgh, so perhaps it is a strange remnant of that!
Seems it's running again this year as per @tommy2215's post above.

Ah, didn't know this was running again this year, forgot that it only ran on a Sunday as well. Interesting to note that it omits Dumbarton Central as a calling point.

mike57

Established Member
Just had a browse, its not perfect, but you can select a location and see where else is easily accessable, which is quite different to a journey planner which cant easily answer the question. "I am spending a few days in X where else might I visit easily?" Obviously you then have to check thing like frequency etc, but that can be accomplished using a journey planner. I can see us using it when on holiday to identfy possible day trips. I also like the fact you can hover and see what I assume is the fastest journey time, with the colour codes giving a clue anyway.

Trainbike46

Established Member
It's a fascinating site, and great fun to play around with. A few flaws I've found: it appears to treat most or all of the termini in central Budapest as though they were one station. Apparent omissions include Northern Ireland Railways, Latvian railways, and some or all of the local "private" railway lines or networks in Italy (e.g. FUC at Udine, FSE at Lecce).

Not sure it distinguishes between trains and de facto permanent SNCF bustitutions in France, either. There are few other oddities too.

None the less, an interesting site and potentially a useful tool.
Regarding NI: it includes Belfast Lanyon place, and shows some of its direct connections, but only those on the enterprise train (I think?) not the NI-only trains

Status
Not open for further replies.