• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who Series 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Lol! I'll stick to proper internet protocol then:

I'm right and anyone who dares to disagree is a complete *&$*£@*!

ECML180

I'm sorry have you used the internet before? :lol:

:lol:

Yeah I'm agreed actually, Capaldi is a nice change from Smith and Tennant who were on the whole, quite similar. The only problem I'm finding is that some of the writing does feel 'left over' from the past series.

D6975

Established Member
There's room for all viewpoints!

I understand some people even liked El Dorado and Triangle (younger members may have to look these up!) :lol:

I remember those two.

El Dorado was for people who found Eastenders too intellectually demanding.

Triangle was Crossroads at Sea.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Some of what Capaldi does is good, and I like it. Overall I think he is working against the writes (or vice versa) rather than with them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I remember those two.

Good descriptions! :D

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I's possible! Then they would have used scripts that were rejected from previous series that had been written for Smith or Tennant's doctors...:lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
I remember those two.

Connection between Triangle and Who - an excellent programme featuring Michael Craig and The Rani - aka the late beautiful Kate O'Mara :p

Jonny

Established Member
Capaldi just gets better, I thought the 117 was a hornby

also, the latest ep reminded me of the at least partially lost Yeti story with Patrick Troughton

I agree with the point about Capaldi, and since they were using a 117 anyway it wouldn't be too much extra effort to set up the real one for a shot or two. Oh, and I'm sure that Hornby would be flattered - it had more to do with the pristine condition (re: paintwork, dirt) that the unit was in.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Capaldi just gets better, I thought the 117 was a hornby

There did look something plastic about it at one point. There have been a couple of times during this season when it looked to me like they'd perhaps tried special effects that were beyond their budget to do properly - and the result was a few seconds of something that looked - well - plastic and odd (and reminiscent of 1970s Dr Who). One was this week, with some of the train shots, another was in the Dalek episode, during the scene when lots of Daleks were being destroyed.

I was somewhat surprised because I can't recall any similar badly done special effects from previous post-2004 seasons (and there have been a huge number of very impressive effects), so I'd rather assumed the crew had special effects really well sorted.

Other than that, this week was a good story. I notice the Peter Capaldi Doctor is becoming a lot less reluctant to hide the fact of being an alien from the various random human beings he encountered than previous Doctors were.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
He seems to be a lot more arrogant than recent Doctors have been which I suspect is playing a part in him being a bit more laissez-faire about letting people know he's an alien. Also in the Whoverse aren't aliens, not common, but at this point known about to everyone so him being an alien would be shocking but not as shocking as it would be to us?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
He seems to be a lot more arrogant than recent Doctors have been which I suspect is playing a part in him being a bit more laissez-faire about letting people know he's an alien. Also in the Whoverse aren't aliens, not common, but at this point known about to everyone so him being an alien would be shocking but not as shocking as it would be to us?

Could it be a side-affect of being on a new set of regenerations?

Strathclyder

Established Member
I think it's a side effect of being in a new regeneration cycle.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think it's a side effect of being in a new regeneration cycle, Moffat trying to be different AND a general lack of good writing!

I never thought I'd say it, but during this series I've been yearning for a return to the Russell T Davies style of storytelling!

Perseverance

Filming of Doctor Who at the Barry Tourist Railway

The 'actual' train running sequences in tunnel were done on the GWR using their Class 117. There were no filmed train movements on our line during filming but our Class 101 'Iris II' featured on the 'feigned' running' close-ups outside and within the driving cab; also the side shots running alongside the DMU 'looking in'. This was all done with the 101 stationary but there were 6 burly lads at the rear of the coach rocking it back and forth to give the impression of movement!

The tunnel scenes with people on the ground were either done in the disused Barry Pier tunnel (where there is no longer any track) or at the BBC studios at Cadriff where we constructed a 30m length of bullhead track within a mocked up tunnel lining and portal built by the skilled BBC scenery people. Shots of this were manipulated to make the tunnel look infinitely longer. All very clever and so realistic that it clearly fooled quite a few people!

And yes…the Tardis appeared between Barry Island Statin and our Plymouth Road shed!

All in all a great project to be involved with - and very beneficial to our railway in many ways.

John Buxton
Director
Barry Tourist Railway
www.barrytouristrailway.co.uk
See us on Facebook too

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
Accidentally stumbled in to yesterday's episode. Seems the series has become a spin off from The Sarah Jane Adventures much more suited to CBeeBies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Accidentally stumbled in to yesterday's episode. Seems the series has become a spin off from The Sarah Jane Adventures much more suited to CBeeBies.

We need Cybermen, Daleks, Icemen, Silurians or some form of tangible alien interest - this school association is emasculating the show which is becoming stuck up it's own arse :p

Deerfold

Veteran Member
We need Cybermen, Daleks, Icemen, Silurians or some form of tangible alien interest - this school association is emasculating the show which is becoming stuck up it's own arse :p

We don't need any more Daleks or Cybermen. We're getting them every series and they're getting boring.

I am somewhat disappointed in this series. As a fan who hasn't missed an episode for over 30 years (though occasionally I've time-shifted one by a few days), last night's episode was the least engaging I've seen in a long time.

All the effort seems to be going into the backstory rather than the individual stories.

I hope it's worth it.

Butts

Veteran Member
[QUOTE=Deerfold;1952947]We don't need any more Daleks or Cybermen. We're getting them every series and they're getting boring.

I am somewhat disappointed in this series. As a fan who hasn't missed an episode for over 30 years (though occasionally I've time-shifted one by a few days), last night's episode was the least engaging I've seen in a long time.

All the effort seems to be going into the backstory rather than the individual stories.

I hope it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Really ? - I mean a decent run for either - not a cameo appearance :p.....and bring back "Big D"

Tracked

Established Member
Judging by the past few pages I might be going against the grain a bit by saying I've liked series 8 so far, until that episode.

There was a germ of a good idea about humanity facing extinction, but the trees saving the world didn't work, and it could've involved less speaking parts for the children (tree book reader girl in particular, this means you).

Capaldi was good in it though, a bit reminiscent of Eccleston's Doc

Jonny

Established Member
We don't need any more Daleks or Cybermen. We're getting them every series and they're getting boring.

I hope it's worth it.

Well, next time is a cyber-fest with a new twist ;) The spoiler is that they are upgrading ____ ______ and it might come as a surprise.
There is a clue in the official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCGtZUn_tU

(Sorry, I couldn't embed)
Oh, and Missy turns out to be ... ......

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Oh, and Missy turns out to be ... ......
Somebody who disappeared, without any reason I noticed, and has now re-appeared without explanation. Hopefully these questions will be answered next week.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I have to admit my reaction to that news was pretty mixed. On the one hand, a sense of 'Oh God, how many times has that character been killed, only to mysteriously reappear later on. Please... not again!' On the other hand, casting as a woman is quite an intriguing idea. And I guess if as you say she's wearing a ring, perhaps that'll make for a reasonable explanation of 'her' re-appearance this time.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Still not liking this new series. I want real monsters, not Cybermen submerged in water. The current Doctor is better suited to 10pm on BBC Four, not a shoot-em-up slot in prime time.

My kids are losing interest and pay more attention to the Bake Off!

IanD

Established Member

Seems I was right, Crapaldi is advertising Dr Who on cbeebies now. That is, some sort of Dr Who spin off on cbeebies.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The series has not improved. I agree that the school and Clara's romance have emasculated the show. The Doctor seems to be a bit of an irrelevance in comparison...perhaps it was intended as a nod to Ian and Barbara 50 years ago, just updated to modern times. If so, it hasn't worked, but I could be hopelessly wrong anyway.

At any rate, Doctor Who should not be a soap!

Status
Not open for further replies.