• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DOO on Northern and general discussion on future staffing arrangements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moonshot

Established Member
thats not actually a fact though is it lets be honest

Im afraid it is based on my observations !! 1 guy I shared a staff train with the other week was exceedingly bitter.....

But like I said, i ve no issues.....one of them sorted out an minor issue for me without any prompting after I had only mentioned it in passing

wigwamman

There is a simple solution as far as unpopular union reps are concerned, vote them out at the next election !

As for diagrams, as long as they are legal in terms of complying with CRI (Northern), the reps cannot reject them. The fatuige index is a tool that is useful, but reps have had no training on how to understand or implement it, although I believe the company are willing to look into this issue.

muz379

Established Member
let me guess your going to say next that the majority of guards at your depot are actually in favor of DOO and hate the union for trying to protect their jobs

Moonshot

Established Member
let me guess your going to say next that the majority of guards at your depot are actually in favor of DOO and hate the union for trying to protect their jobs

Yeah right lol.....just like turkeys vote for xmas !! You would be surprised how many are realistic though.....I m fully expecting the application for driving roles from guards to increase dramatically ....including me!!!

muz379

Established Member
oh im realistic in that I know Its going to take a while to bring about DOO across the whole network but I wont retire from being a guard and have considered by options . But I dont agree with it either .

Im still unsure about going driving though not to mention with the assessments to be a driver nothing is a foregone conclusion .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yeah right lol.....just like turkeys vote for xmas !! You would be surprised how many are realistic though.....I m fully expecting the application for driving roles from guards to increase dramatically ....including me!!!

this is the funny thing its all just based on your expectations and experiences none of what you say is fact

Last edited:

Moonshot

Established Member
oh im realistic in that I know Its going to take a while to bring about DOO across the whole network but I wont retire from being a guard and have considered by options . But I dont agree with it either .

Im still unsure about going driving though not to mention with the assessments to be a driver nothing is a foregone conclusion .

No its not but its certainly a very viable option ( of course dependent on passing the tests in the first place )

wigwamman

I would say by the end of the next franchise ( 2024-2026) Guards will be gone more or less on the Northern franchise, once the 15x and 14x stock is life expired I think the traditional role of Guard will be finished, sadly.

Moonshot

Established Member

this is the funny thing its all just based on your expectations and experiences none of what you say is fact

No - I said based on my observations.....whether you believe me or not is up to you.

muz379

Established Member
I m fully expecting the application for driving roles from guards to increase dramatically ....including me!!!
No - I said based on my observations.....whether you believe me or not is up to you.

your expecting it based from speaking to a few guards from one depot
which does not make it a fact . Guards have always applied to be drivers anyway , even when their jobs have been safe .

as for driving , Im not sure if I want to go driving . There are some aspects of the job which are particularly attractive but im yet to decide if i could see myself doing it everyday .
I would say by the end of the next franchise ( 2024-2026) Guards will be gone more or less on the Northern franchise, once the 15x and 14x stock is life expired I think the traditional role of Guard will be finished, sadly.
tend to agree with you there .

Moonshot

Established Member
your expecting it based from speaking to a few guards from one depot
which does not make it a fact . Guards have always applied to be drivers anyway , even when their jobs have been safe .

as for driving , Im not sure if I want to go driving . There are some aspects of the job which are particularly attractive but im yet to decide if i could see myself doing it everyday .

Oh hang one.....I thought you were referring to the bit about Union reps being despised !!

muz379

Established Member
Oh no you have your observation form speaking to one person on one staff train one day to back that up .that is quite clearly a fact .

Moonshot

Established Member
Oh no you have your observation form speaking to one person on one staff train one day to back that up .that is quite clearly a fact .

I ll just re iterarate this ....... From my observations at depot, the Union reps are despised by the rank and file. As I mentioned as well , 1 guy I shared a staff train with was very vociferous in his opposition.

Got it ?

muz379

Established Member
I guess you will find out at the next election at your depot wont you

Llama

Established Member
Younger hands maybe. And at your depot maybe. But the overwhelming majority of those with more than a few years service are quite happy with the LLC and have shown that support vociferously at several branch meetings where the younger hands have attempted to depose the LLC and challenge the status quo.

Moonshot

Established Member
Like I said - just my observations....if Unions didnt actually exist , I hardly think the world would stop revolving anyway.

muz379

Established Member
the world wouldn't stop revolving but the world would be a much worse place for working people , not just on the railway as well

Moonshot

Established Member
the world wouldn't stop revolving but the world would be a much worse place for working people , not just on the railway as well

Not so sure about that ....but hey everyone to their opinion.

muz379

Established Member
yeah so you might be able to question some of what unions say and do . Even myself as a union member from prevvious occupations have questioned what they say and do sometimes but some of the things we take for granted would not have happened but for strong and brave union movements in the past . Regardless of political persuasion today you cant disagree with basic things like compensation payment for injuries at work , women having the vote and a minimum wage

Okay so some stuff like the miners strike and general strike you could question all day long . But look at the Fire brigade union strikes at the moment for a example of unions trying to do better for people . Do you want to be pulled out of a burning building by a 65 year old fireman ? no me either

Unless you are further right than thatcher in your thinking you have to acknowledge that some of the things unions have done and are doing for people are important

Last edited:

Moonshot

Established Member
Did the decent salary and quality rest periods have anything to do with it ?

the rest periods I only found out about when I joined.....as far as salary goes, i actually earned a lot more 10 years ago......had bigger outgoings then though.

Moonshot

Established Member
So do you think Guards are underpaid ?

No - its easy role.

I particularly like the fact we can earn 5% on tickets.....I do like an incentive and in fact has been a feature of previous employment, though that was more based on share options......

Llama

Established Member
Do you think the company gives guards 5% commission of its own free will? Or would you acknowledge that that is something that trade unions negotiated for the benefit if their members?

muz379

Established Member
would you want to be paid minimum wage to do just the tickets but with no safety responsibility ?

Status
Not open for further replies.