• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS - Trainee Train Driver - London (13/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_Rail

Oh.. I was there on Tuesday. Guess they had people on different days as they don't have a lot of desks that could hold as many people as stage 1.

Congratulations! Once you hear back for DMI let me know. I'm also waiting.
I was there Tues too! Congratulations!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seejwalker

I have an interview for this, just await the Driver Manager to arrange a date.

I’ve created a thread looking for further information on NTS and DRS,

Anyone ever actually worked for them or work for them? Or have further information, it would be much appreciated.

NorthernTech

Anyone ever actually worked for them or work for them? Or have further information, it would be much appreciated.
London area or Crewe?

PK96

I can't find your thread.
Could you link me into it?

MichaelJ25

Have you had a date for Driver manager interview yet ? I’m still waiting.

Seejwalker

Hope we hear this week, getting impatient now lol
If this is you’re first experience of the railway, particularly Railway HR.
Then you’re in for a shock mate, nothing happens fast.

I now have an interview date. Good luck to anyone else interviewing for the role.

I now have an interview date. Good luck to anyone else interviewing for the role.

Last edited:

IFeelTheNeed

The recruitment team at DRS are very into diversity, not a bad thing of course if it’s done in a best person wins way.

Their London base is Willesden Brent Yard, they’ve a small building next to the Royal Mail terminal. You’ll need security clearance as well, which is very in-depth you, and your family even a wiff of anything “iffy” will result in your app being binned.

They used to run to Sizewell, Dungerness and Southminster - only Dungerness see ad hoc traffic now.

90% of turns are book on remotely then travel to a relief point.

Pension wise it’s not Rail Pension Scheme, which should be a huge point to consider.
Thanks for the information.

When do they usually do security checks? Before or after Driver Manager Interviews?

Thanks.

PK96

Thanks for the information.

When do they usually do security checks? Before or after Driver Manager Interviews?

Thanks.
Security checks? What do you mean. First time hearing this...
I'm aware of medical but that was really it.

Anyone know what to expect on a DMI?

CDB1991

When I took up a role with DRS at the start of the year, the process was that once you've receieved the conditional offer of employment, you self fund a 'basic DBS' around £23 that you'll claim back through expenses when you start.. This gives the very minimum clearance to DRS to get you employed, once you actually start in the role, one of the first things you'll do is complete the MOD high-level security clearance that is required for any role when dealing with MOD / high security sites.. this goes into much more depth, and goes into everything including parents history etc.. I'd advise being open and honest upfront regarding anything and everything you may have on your record, because if anything flags in these checks, you'll be out of a job pretty quickly..

YingYing

Because of the nature of work DRS carry out you'll be asked to complete a national security background check. It's quite an in-depth form online you fill out about personal details, close family and sometimes about work colleagues.

DMI is just a standard manager's interview based on competency questions related to the job; pointers can be found all over the forum. They may also ask what experience you have of ensuring security at work.

IFeelTheNeed

When I took up a role with DRS at the start of the year, the process was that once you've receieved the conditional offer of employment, you self fund a 'basic DBS' around £23 that you'll claim back through expenses when you start.. This gives the very minimum clearance to DRS to get you employed, once you actually start in the role, one of the first things you'll do is complete the MOD high-level security clearance that is required for any role when dealing with MOD / high security sites.. this goes into much more depth, and goes into everything including parents history etc.. I'd advise being open and honest upfront regarding anything and everything you may have on your record, because if anything flags in these checks, you'll be out of a job pretty quickly..
Excellent information. Thank you.

Signal_Box

You’d be hauling nuclear material about, do you think their going to let any old potential nut do it ?!

You’ll also have access to nuclear sites again you really don’t want any old nut wandering about those types of places.

Seejwalker

Intrigued to know, you took up a role with DRS at the start of the year, you was a shunter a few years back, correct me if I’m wrong, the drivers do the shunting in DRS? They don’t have shunters?

You also claim in another thread that you’ve recently sat the psychometric testing, and you claim to have excepted a job with LNER.

How have you taken up a role with DRS at the start of the year if you’ve just completed you tests?

Regards,
Chris.

The more I think about this, the more questions I have.

‘MOD’ security check? I served in the Army for 8 years, if there was an ‘MOD’ security check the forces would be unmanned.

DRS require a counter terrorism check (CTC) having now been employed by them twice as you claim, you’d surely know this.
I’m not yet employed and know this.

Last edited:

CDB1991

Intrigued to know, you took up a role with DRS at the start of the year, you was a shunter a few years back, correct me if I’m wrong, the drivers do the shunting in DRS? They don’t have shunters?

You also claim in another thread that you’ve recently sat the psychometric testing, and you claim to have excepted a job with LNER.

How have you taken up a role with DRS at the start of the year if you’ve just completed you tests?

Regards,
Chris.

The more I think about this, the more questions I have.

‘MOD’ security check? I served in the Army for 8 years, if there was an ‘MOD’ security check the forces would be unmanned.

DRS require a counter terrorism check (CTC) having now been employed by them twice as you claim, you’d surely know this.
I’m not yet employed and know this.
One of my previous posts about 'a few years back' may have been a little misleading but that was out of a wish to not post too much information but seeing as you wish to know more..

I was a shunter (Train Person) for DRS from January at the start of this year, I then left DRS in April to take up a considerably better paid role in my previous career due to having a second child on the way.. Since then, an application to LNER has been in, processed, passed the medical and then withdrawn, again, purely financial based..

The security check may well be what you refer to above, I don't particularly care for the detail of it as it is no longer relevant to me, but if its is the CTC then that's what it is called, all I know it was a lot of detail about family, background etc etc..

Anything else? I'll delete my previous post and apologise for slight misinformation but you must appreciate I was trying to pick things from my brain to assist.. not cause offence which I've obviously done..

Seejwalker

One of my previous posts about 'a few years back' may have been a little misleading but that was out of a wish to not post too much information but seeing as you wish to know more..

I was a shunter (Train Person) for DRS from January at the start of this year, I then left DRS in April to take up a considerably better paid role in my previous career due to having a second child on the way.. Since then, an application to LNER has been in, processed, passed the medical and then withdrawn, again, purely financial based.. In terms of psychometric testing, I made it quite clear on the LNER forum that I only had to resit a single test, because although I had passed to a suitable standard for DRS at the time, it wasn't to the level that LNER required for that particular test..

The security check may well be what you refer to above, I don't particularly care for the detail of it as it is no longer relevant to me, but if its is the CTC then that's what it is called, all I know it was a lot of detail about family, background etc etc..

Anything else? I'll delete my previous post and apologise for slight misinformation but you must appreciate I was trying to pick things from my brain to assist.. not cause offence which I've obviously done..
Appreciate the clarity, the 10 posts you’ve contributed to the forum as a whole certainly didn’t add up when reading in order.
Apologies if information from 8 months ago was hard to recall.
No offence caused, it just read weird, or that was my view anyway.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Bdstg

Hello everyone !

How many of us have interviews next week? I’m nervous but equally proud to have made it this far! Congrats to all too,
Wonder who out of us are first? Mines midweek

Status
Not open for further replies.