• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS - Trainee Train Driver - London (13/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seejwalker

Maybe you were fortunate enough to know more about. I’d asked friends who are on the railway and looked on here before applying. And while you can get an idea of what’s entailed, you won’t get the whole picture. And the whole point of an interview is to ask questions and find out more.

I was told by people on here that freight is unsociable hours, lots of nights and weekends. So I was aware of this snd accepted it. Turns out the depot I’m working from is Monday to Friday and mainly days.

So while I get what you’re saying, this proves you can never get the true picture of the job unless you’re actually doing it.
Don’t disagree with anything you’ve said mate.
You can only research what you can, as I’ve said Just trying to make the point that people should be doing something to research the job they’re applying for.
At which depot have you been offered a role?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carl98k

Don’t disagree with anything you’ve said mate.
You can only research what you can, as I’ve said Just trying to make the point that people should be doing something to research the job they’re applying for.
At which depot have you been offered a role?
Totally get that. Peak Forest, I start a week Monday mate.

IFeelTheNeed

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

You guys new to the railway or employed elsewhere within?

My interview is Thursday morning. I’ve had two driver interviews before in 2018 for Freightliner and DB cargo where I was subsequently was offered the job by both FOCs, I also was offered a signalling role with Network Rail which I took up and have been doing since.
But itched to get a driving a job and waited for the right opportunity.

Good luck to both.
Mine is Thursday morning too. All the best! Sounds like you'll definitely get an offer because of your experience!

Seejwalker

Mine is Thursday morning too. All the best! Sounds like you'll definitely get an offer because of your experience!
I hope so mate, but we’re all human and can stuff up an interview.
Best of luck to you, I’d be intrigued to know how many they’re taking on at each location.

IFeelTheNeed

I hope so mate, but we’re all human and can stuff up an interview.
Best of luck to you, I’d be intrigued to know how many they’re taking on at each location.
That's true.
Thanks. At least a handful, I would imagine. Let's hope so anyway

Seejwalker

Yh mate, was alright actually. They're really nice and was quite relaxed.
Was half expecting it to be very formal, but yh, it wasn't.

Good luck tomorrow.
That tends to be the case I’ve found with FOCs. One interview I had a few years back we practically laughed for the entirety of it.
Did they ask much about your knowledge of the company? With the site being down it could be a pitfall for others.

Now we wait …:?:
Hope it all went well for you mate.

Bdstg

That tends to be the case I’ve found with FOCs. One interview I had a few years back we practically laughed for the entirety of it.
Did they ask much about your knowledge of the company? With the site being down it could be a pitfall for others.

Hope it all went well for you mate.
Thanks they have medicals this month and courses starting Jan or April

Seejwalker

Thanks they have medicals this month and courses starting Jan or April
The medical can take a while if you have a doctors surgery as useless as mine.
If you’re offered a role try and be proactive and book an appt with your GP to fill out any paperwork the FOCs doctor might send them.
It may turn out that they don’t. But it’s good to be on the ball

Bdstg

The medical can take a while if you have a doctors surgery as useless as mine.
If you’re offered a role try and be proactive and book an appt with your GP to fill out any paperwork the FOCs doctor might send them.
It may turn out that they don’t. But it’s good to be on the ball
Thanks for this , good info I’ve not read anywhere else!

Seejwalker

ill pass on that one as it'll just end up becoming an argumentative discussion and based on how you talk to people on here, you come across as rather narcissistic; aint nobody got the time nor energy for that malarkey. As I said to @Bdstg, there's a reason he's not read that anywhere else.
Hahah ok mate. I’ve been through two driver medicals.
As my post said the process can take a long time if you have a doctor like mine, I then merely suggested he gets proactive so he can stay ahead of it.

Perhaps I come across a little strong because I’m not afraid to say things how they, I’m not afraid to call people out, and I’m not easily offended.
2022 for you I suppose.

Interview done today, for anyone not yet interviewed, it’s was a relaxed process, you’re met by reps from HR who will answer any questions you have.
You’re then interviewed by two managers who’ll start off by giving a little background into the company and asking your background.

You’ll then be asked a series of competency based questions.
These are really straight forward questions, think about your answers and try find the best examples of a situation you’ve used said competency.

Don’t worry if you’re not from the railway or some sort of operational role, even a barista could find an example and just demonstrate their attitude and thought process.

Don’t overthink, just relax, they’re really nice people who are down to earth and have sat in your seat before.

Last edited:

IFeelTheNeed

I had a medical 2 weeks ago and my doctor was not involved at all so just follow instructions you are given by the TOC / FOC
Yep I've had a railway medical before too (for a FOC) and my doctor wasn't involved either.

Seejwalker

Going to put it out there now. If people read my post correctly, I advised being proactive encase the FOC/TOC requests any medical information from a GP,
I did then state that it may not happen. But it’s worth being proactive.

If at the very worst you made a drs appt for after your medical that you then had to cancel, you haven’t lost anything at all and it’s no trouble to arrange.

There’s people been on this forum for a matter of months with no experience trying make counter arguments to what I’m saying.

I’ve been in here years, I’ve been through the process myself three times successfully.

I believe that gives me good warrant to kind of know what I’m saying.

If you’re offended or have experienced something different then that’s completely fine, good luck to you.

I don’t wish ill of anyone on here, I don’t wish for anyone to fail in their endeavours of joining the railway.

IFeelTheNeed

Everyone's gone silent with the worry of waiting for DRS's answer this week... Unless some people have already been contacted on Friday!

Bdstg

Everyone's gone silent with the worry of waiting for DRS's answer this week... Unless some people have already been contacted on Friday!
Haha yes I was told that they would be letting me know early next week.
So hoping by Wednesday would have heard.

Seejwalker

First medical date is the 15th, so they must be letting people know fairly quickly.

I have been and had my ears cleaned today in anticipation of the hearing test. As I don’t want wax being a set back (obviously this is all provided I’ve done ok in the interview)

Perhaps once we’ve found out who has been offered a role, it would be nice to create a chat, to compare information on the job role etc……

Good luck to all waiting for an answer.

IFeelTheNeed

I asked them and they told me it would be via email. *constant email refreshes* haha
Lol. Me too now. Refresh button is getting battered by my finger

First medical date is the 15th, so they must be letting people know fairly quickly.

I have been and had my ears cleaned today in anticipation of the hearing test. As I don’t want wax being a set back (obviously this is all provided I’ve done ok in the interview)

Perhaps once we’ve found out who has been offered a role, it would be nice to create a chat, to compare information on the job role etc……

Good luck to all waiting for an answer.
Where would one go to get their ears cleaned out? It's really difficult to hear that damn beeping test lol

Status
Not open for further replies.