• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Anglia Bus Scene

F Great Eastern

Established Member
So from next month, Ipswich Buses are going to run a 91 service from Hadleigh to Ipswich at 6.45am. .

Have they lost a school contract for the return journey or is this the start of something bigger with trying to run vehicles to compete with Beestons who earlier in this thread it was claimed, they were taking over?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Beestons re-registrations and repaint into white and silver livery.

YN03 DDA - 523 FN
YN54 OBB - 524 FN (according to bustimes.org, but not sure if it's correct)
YN05 HFY - 526 FN (And has had an interior refurbishment and tinted windows)

There was talk of them doing 5 or 6 over the summer. Do we know what the others are? I assume one might be 525 FN?

Have any of the ex Happy Als vehicles been in service or had work done? There's a rumour going around that they've been returned to Happy Als?

Steve_B

YN03 DDA - 523 FN

There was talk of them doing 5 or 6 over the summer. Do we know what the others are? I assume one might be 525 FN?

Have any of the ex Happy Als vehicles been in service or had work done? There's a rumour going around that they've been returned to Happy A
Ex Ipswich Buses YN56 NVC is now back with Ipswich Buses for conversion into an additional COVID vaccination bus.

I believe the ex Al's OmniCity double deckers have passed to EnsignBus

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Ex Ipswich Buses YN56 NVC is now back with Ipswich Buses for conversion into an additional COVID vaccination bus.

I believe the ex Al's OmniCity double deckers have passed to EnsignBus
It's a bit odd that they acquired those vehicles and are now selling them on, when someone else said upthread they were for school contracts.

What happened?

Steve_B

It's a bit odd that they acquired those vehicles and are now selling them on, when someone else said upthread they were for school contracts.

What happened?
Ensign often do this to secure the second hand market to prevent other dealers acquiring the vehicle's and selling them. It makes good business sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Ensign often do this to secure the second hand market to prevent other dealers acquiring the vehicle's and selling them. It makes good business sense.

I was talking about Beestons, not Ensign.

Further up thread it was stated that Beestons had acquired a batch of PSVAR vehicles from Happy Als for school contracts, but seemingly none of those vehicles actually ever entered service. One has ended up with Ipswich Buses and at least some of them have passed to Ensign.

It's just a little strange for Beestons to acquire so many vehicles which were supposedly required quickly for school contracts and then dispose of such vehicles almost as soon as they have got them. Did they suddenly lose the contracts as quick as they have gained them?

Another even more twist on the above, is now Beestons are said to be once again looking for a sizeable number of seat belted Scania based single decks for school contract works. It really does make it feel like they felt the vehicles they bought in from Happy Al's were not up to the job they were earmarked for.

In other Beestons news, the 06:45 from Sudbury is now only running between Hadleigh and Ipswich, which means it's now impossible to get a bus between Sudbury and Ipswich that arrives before 9am. (see here)

MotCO

Established Member
Another even more twist on the above, is now Beestons are said to be once again looking for a sizeable number of seat belted Scania based single decks for school contract works. It really does make it feel like they felt the vehicles they bought in from Happy Al's were not up to the job they were earmarked for.

Maybe the routes were found only to be suitable for single deckers?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
£1 extra for a return now, wasn't it already ridiculously expensive?

I would imagine that it's a case of the commuters and students ex Hadleigh in the morning peak and ex Ipswich to in the afternoon peak, heavily subsidising both the Sudbury to Hadleigh section and the passengers between 9am and 3pm which a very high percentage of would be concessionary pass holders. Then you've got the fact that the return peak working trips ex Ipswich in the morning and ex Hadleigh/Sudbury in the evenings would be carrying very few passengers.

It would not surprise me to see the Sudbury section be done away with totally at some point. I know there was talk of Ipswich Buses entering the market, but I can't see them operating from Sudbury, maybe they might operate Hadleigh to Ipswich only if they launch a rival service, but to operate from Sudbury, bearing in mind the amount of dead running they'd have to do from the depot in the morning and evening peak for little return, it just wouldn't pay.

Nailseabus

Plaxton Primo KX08 HMA in Whippet livery attended the recent Showbus rally. Does anyone know if it is still in service with Whippet or is it preserved?

F Great Eastern

Established Member

YN03 DDA - 523 FN

Have any of the ex Happy Als vehicles been in service or had work done? There's a rumour going around that they've been returned to Happy Als?
Further re-registrations for Omnidekkas:

MX04 MYY - NSV 371
MX04 MYW - NSV 372.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Sanders Coaches have introduced a total of six new Volvo buses in 2021 alone, four Volvo B8R/MCV single deckers, and now two Volvo B5TL/Wright double deckers. Quite a substantial outlay on new equipment from Sanders, given they hadn't bought a new bus since a trio of VDL DB250s in 2005/06/07, nearly 15 years ago! Wonder if these are being leased, the area that Sanders dominate in Norfolk isn't exactly lucrative bus territory.

Cesarcollie

Sanders Coaches have introduced a total of six new Volvo buses in 2021 alone, four Volvo B8R/MCV single deckers, and now two Volvo B5TL/Wright double deckers. Quite a substantial outlay on new equipment from Sanders, given they hadn't bought a new bus since a trio of VDL DB250s in 2005/06/07, nearly 15 years ago! Wonder if these are being leased, the area that Sanders dominate in Norfolk isn't exactly lucrative bus territory.

Leasing doesn’t make it any cheaper - quite the opposite overall. However generally less security required as the asset remains the property of the leasing company (although there may be the ability to,purchase at market rates at the end of the hire).

borage

Does anyone know how many of these enviro 400’s are due for KonectBus and is there a rebrand of Norwich Park & Ride taking place? Noticed they haven’t removed the centre doors too.

It appears to be a new separate "Costessey Park & Ride" brand for the 510 and 511, which are particularly short (hence older, lower spec vehicles I suppose) and don't go near the city centre (hence no drawing of the cathedral in the logo)

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 04.19.19.png
(screenshot showing the "park & ride Costessey" and "park & ride Norwich" logos on the Konectbus website)

https://mobile.twitter.com/kieransmith712/status/1479541929809428495 suggests a total of four

buslad1988

It appears to be a new separate "Costessey Park & Ride" brand for the 510 and 511, which are particularly short (hence older, lower spec vehicles I suppose) and don't go near the city centre (hence no drawing of the cathedral in the logo)

View attachment 108428
(screenshot showing the "park & ride Costessey" and "park & ride Norwich" logos on the Konectbus website)

https://mobile.twitter.com/kieransmith712/status/1479541929809428495 suggests a total of four
That’s great thank you. I’ve seen Hedingham are also receiving some of these E400’s as well. Will be interesting to see if there’s any new investment going into KonectBus this year on their core network.

Also noted Arriva are about to replace the Colchester Park & Ride enviros with MMC’s. Assume they’ve had their contract renewed. Have Colchester received any Versas as a result of the Guildford closure? They still had some elderly Darts in service last time I was there.
MMC Photo here (James Dawkins) https://www.flickr.com/photos/james...AmxC3-2mkAUwd-2mfTGBm-2kJKaWn-2mFDqeH-2mRFwzY

JamesC357

That’s great thank you. I’ve seen Hedingham are also receiving some of these E400’s as well. Will be interesting to see if there’s any new investment going into KonectBus this year on their core network.

Also noted Arriva are about to replace the Colchester Park & Ride enviros with MMC’s. Assume they’ve had their contract renewed. Have Colchester received any Versas as a result of the Guildford closure? They still had some elderly Darts in service last time I was there.
MMC Photo here (James Dawkins) https://www.flickr.com/photos/james...AmxC3-2mkAUwd-2mfTGBm-2kJKaWn-2mFDqeH-2mRFwzY
Colchester have received some E200s from Guildford, these are intended to replace the Darts. The Versas have moved to Southend to replace some older DAFs and Volvos there.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I’m guessing these vehicles will be replacing the current handful of ex-London double deckers still in London red operating the 510/511. I haven’t been on them but should expect they’re in full ex-London condition.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Any truth that Beestons have now sold up?

There's talk of changes to the operation from April going around various places in Ipswich right now.

F Great Eastern

Established Member

chubs

It's been months since first introduced their temporary timetable, no update on if they're sorting out their recruitment issues or not (I know it's a national problem too). I doubt passenger levels will ever be what they were pre pandemic but some of the services are so infrequent I just walk or get a cab instead.

cnjb8

Established Member
Talk about them also bringing in ten 2010 Euro 6 double deck vehicles too. That's too old for Euro 6 so they are upgrading some older vehicles like Lothian did?
Could be ex-London. All of their buses are Euro 6 through new or converted buses

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Could be ex-London. All of their buses are Euro 6 through new or converted buses
Could be on to something there I'd say.

Noticeable from what I have seen in Essex the last week or two and a rare foray into Ipswich, that since they spoke about selling the old fleet off, they seem to have removed white LEDs from their vehicles and replaced them with orange ones, which could well be because they are going to use the white ones on ex London vehicles which obviously don't have any LED etc.

Julia

Plaxton Primo KX08 HMA in Whippet livery attended the recent Showbus rally. Does anyone know if it is still in service with Whippet or is it preserved?

Still in service AFAIK, it's a regular on the St Neots town shuttle which passes my house. A horrid little thing, tbh, but has some curiosity value - how many other Primos are still on the road?

01d-and

Kev's of Bromsgrove still had one Primo until last weekend . . . . . . . . it had not seen service for a couple of weeks though. Clearway of Catshill still have theirs , it has not seen service for a couple of YEARS though . Sorry if this is veering off topic - delete if so.

KenA

Beestons have a new Enviro400mmc ‘22 plate

Will Beestons be around for much Longer? They are not running any day trips and they have little bus work left. They are proposing to give up the remnant of the Hadleigh to Colchester School journey. I cannot see Suffolk County Council being prepared to subsidise it

How long the only real route they have left, the 91, still runs remains to be seen. It must be one of the most inefficient timetables around. The buses spend almost as much time on the stand as when they are running.

If anything is to happen it should be in the next couple of months as the Local Transport Authorities must submit their plans for how the network will be kept going once the Covid support goes at the beginning of October.

They have to report on each route and put them into one of 3 groups.

a) Viable
b) Marginal
c) Not viable

Last edited by a moderator: