• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sannox

On a really good day, maybe. It's almost a guarantee to get stuck in the pre-Charing X exit jam on Kingston Bridge for any vehicle heading into town.
If you are heading into the city you tend to skip that largely. The worst delays are the crawl on the M77 into and out of town in the peaks.

Anyone from Kilmarnock to Glasgow and probably Barrhead will be faster on the local buses. I shudder to think the journey time on a Kennishead to Kilmarnock all stop replacement bus.

GB&K Joint

If the platform extension at Barrhead is still in scope, it will be interesting to see how they extend it. The back of the bay platform is adjacent to the ramps and stairs and the track at the front of the platform is angled to the junction with the down Barrhead line. The existing bay platform is only just long enough for a 4 carriage class 156.

View attachment 134804

View attachment 134805

View attachment 134806
Asked the other day at the station, info was they plan to extend beyond the current buffer stop on platform 3 and as a consequence re-route the ramp access. The trees and bushes on the ramp have been cut back recently. Don’t know if they will extend the platform northwards but as it stands platforms two and three are narrow at the north end so maybe an opportunity to realign.

On a historical note in semaphore days, Barrhead terminators arrived into the up platform now numbered 1, unloaded then reversed through the crossover onto the down line and forward into platform 3 to pick up Glasgow bound passengers. This will be the second time in my lifetime Barrhead will be remodelled so I’m more than a little interested.

I can't comment on " Southsider's " post above , but, although I know there is a huge amount of work still to be done, I was pleased to see a few OHL masts are now in situ on the East Kilbride branch just beyond Busby Junction.
Yes, some masts were erected at the junction (including a portal) although some bases are still without their masts. There is now a more or less continuous parade of masts on the East Kilbride branch from Busby Junction to Thornliebank Road past the Eastwood Old Cemetery.

Busby Junction 2023-05-14 cropped.jpg

OB23Gone

Yes, some masts were erected at the junction (including a portal) although some bases are still without their masts. There is now a more or less continuous parade of masts on the East Kilbride branch from Busby Junction to Thornliebank Road past the Eastwood Old Cemetery.

View attachment 135090
Some up-dates as to Progress. More masts just before Busby Junction in the Cutting. Additional Masts etc at junction, Masts at Kennishead. Masts at Priesthill & Darnley & the Cutting.
I noticed on the way to Priesthill that there has been A Return Wire installed on some sections. Went back to check and found the following areas are installed. Just short of each station, between Priesthill & Darnley to Kennishead Glasgow Bound Side. Kennishead I think as far as Busby Junction Both Lines so really starting to move along at pace. Sating that have a closer look at FJ's photo an the wire can be seen

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 112
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 119

WesternBiker

Some up-dates as to Progress. More masts just before Busby Junction in the Cutting. Additional Masts etc at junction, Masts at Kennishead. Masts at Priesthill & Darnley & the Cutting.
I noticed on the way to Priesthill that there has been A Return Wire installed on some sections. Went back to check and found the following areas are installed. Just short of each station, between Priesthill & Darnley to Kennishead Glasgow Bound Side. Kennishead I think as far as Busby Junction Both Lines so really starting to move along at pace. Sating that have a closer look at FJ's photo an the wire can be seen
Great to see this project making good progress, now.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Thanks. I agree absolutely re blockades, it's just that 6 weeks seems a long time for what is a relatively simple railway (plus it will affect my summer cycling plans.....)
Blockades are the way to go but even with Carstairs there has still been closures pretty well every weekend since it ended. Having taken the decision then to create a bus replacement operation, a train diversion plan and all the publicity to support such a blockade it would seem to me better to go for broke and set the duration long enough to get all the works completed in one go.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

The next stage of preparing the line for electrification gets underway next month.

Engineers will be working around-the-clock for six weeks to deliver a £63.3m upgrade to prepare the Barrhead to Glasgow line for electrification.

The critical milestone on the project includes activity at four key stations – Kennishead, Priesthill & Darnley, Nitshill and Barrhead - as engineers install the overhead power cables needed to introduce electric services on the route, as well as carrying out ducting work and parapet modifications.

The work, which is part of a Scottish Government investment to decarbonise Scotland’s railway passenger services, will take place between Saturday 24 June and Friday 4 August.

Activity during the six weeks also includes the removal of the existing footbridge at Nitshill station on 6 July, as it doesn’t provide the required clearance height for the new overhead equipment.

The bridge will be replaced by a new, longer ramp which introduces step-free access to Platform 2, making it easier for people with impaired mobility or those travelling with luggage, children or cycles to access the platform.

Ahead of the works starting at Nitshill station, Network Rail is holding community drop-in events for residents to find out more about the bridge replacement work and to meet members of the project team to ask any questions.

Details about the drop-in events will be available at: www.scotlandsrailway.com/projects/barrhead-glasgow-electrification

To help minimise disruption for passengers, replacement bus services will operate between Kilmarnock and Glasgow during this period.

nlogax

Established Member
Asked the other day at the station, info was they plan to extend beyond the current buffer stop on platform 3 and as a consequence re-route the ramp access. The trees and bushes on the ramp have been cut back recently. Don’t know if they will extend the platform northwards but as it stands platforms two and three are narrow at the north end so maybe an opportunity to realign.

Good info, thanks for this. This is the current state of play at the top of the ramp. Expecting to see a very different view in a couple of months!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 09.15.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 09.15.45.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 09.15.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 09.15.33.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 09.15.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 09.15.20.png
    3 MB · Views: 128

59CosG95

Established Member

MadMac

Southsider

Lots of moans on Facebook again this morning. Loud banging noise which stops and restarts about 40 minutes later - sounds like piling is progressing.

OB23Gone

Immediately before the junction.
Its from an EK Train as the Barrhead Line can be seen and that's Kennishead Road at top of the field
A couple from today purely by chance. Masts in on eitherside of Barrhead Road. So not many to go.
White Cart at Shaws West, maybe 1/2 doz at Busby Junction , Less in Nitshill Cutting and probably the same over Levern Water. Last part is Barrhead Station area. Think that there will be a big push to get everything ready and wires in to just past Busby Junction
before the blockade.
Nitshill Station Footbridge is to be lifted out using Readypower Rail mounted RRV Cranes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 98
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 100

snowball

Established Member
Post #729, dating from more than a year ago, links a document which is simultaneously the full business case for Barrhead electrification and the outline business case for EK electrification. Does anyone know whether a full business case for EK been produced, or whether it is in the public domain?

clc

Established Member
Post #729, dating from more than a year ago, links a document which is simultaneously the full business case for Barrhead electrification and the outline business case for EK electrification. Does anyone know whether a full business case for EK been produced, or whether it is in the public domain?
I don’t know if the FBC has been finalised yet but it hasn’t been published as far as I’m aware.

Work on the new footbridge between Darnley Road and Moray Place in Pollokshields is progressing. Darnley Road will be closed for a few days in June. I assume this is when they will lift the new deck onto the new abutments.

Moray Place footbridge 1.jpgMoray Place footbridge 2.jpg

OB23Gone

Work on the new footbridge between Darnley Road and Moray Place in Pollokshields is progressing. Darnley Road will be closed for a few days in June. I assume this is when they will lift the new deck onto the new abutments.

View attachment 136215View attachment 136216
If that is the final width then it looks even narrower than the old one. People will be passing each other back to back. There will have to be a notice at each end "Only 1 Buggy At a Time Please"

jagardner1984

Presumably a nod to local complaints - but for the amount of footfall the bridge is likely to see …. There is a very large more suitable bridge less than 50m away. Given the things we say we don’t have money for, this seems to jar somewhat !

The well heeled residents of Moray Place had lots to say about having to look past their SUVs at some electrification masts. Much more comfortable with a 156 revving past every 30 mins !

sannox

If that is the final width then it looks even narrower than the old one. People will be passing each other back to back. There will have to be a notice at each end "Only 1 Buggy At a Time Please"

Looks to be 2m which is the width of a standard footpath.

It is a gross waste of money and resources to be putting this footbridge back as has been said before.

OB23Gone

Further update
White Cart Bridge now has a further Mast Bracket Attached on the Pollokshaws Road Side.
OHL Contact Wire has been installed on the Glasgow Bound Line through Kennishead from the Busby Junction direction and half way along the Priesthill & Darnley Embankment. The SPL Zeck Wiring Unit was working last week end and is back up this weekend to run out more Live Wiring.
A view of the Moray Place FB Abutment from Darnley Rd

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.jpg