• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Does the Larkfield Curve work need to be done from the existing site compounds? If the priority is getting the Barrhead and East Kilbride services electrified, it seems reasonable to focus on them rather than the curve. If so, then moving the site compounds closer to where most of the work is happening seems reasonable too.

Does the Larkfield Curve work need to be done from the existing site compounds? If the priority is getting the Barrhead and East Kilbride services electrified, it seems reasonable to focus on them rather than the curve. If so, then moving the site compounds closer to where most of the work is happening seems reasonable too.
The OHL personnel have relocated
to Salkeld Street from Cowlairs. With plenty of space to store equipment there.

OB23Gone

They have a large compound between Thornliebank and Giffnock on the EK line. It is starting to fill up with piles and OHLE masts and associated equipment.
2 places that have been used in the past are EK Station Carpark and at the Masts just after Busby Junction at the Riding Stables. My bet would be at Hairmyres New Station as a compound will have to be built for its construction anyway

As mentioned above, there are multiple site compounds. There is one at Nitshill and a new one in Barrhead has planning approval.

The advantage of the current compounds adjacent to the Larkfield link is that the project can take a possession of the route to Barrhead while the Queens Park side of the Cathcart circle remains open to traffic. That would not be possible if they needed to access the railway at Salkeld Street.

To be fair, electrification of the Larkfield link requires track lowering below two bridges and so the cost per mile would be greater than the average cost per mile of electrification.

Today, I noticed that the southern portal on the Pollokshaws viaduct has been erected. There will be one more portal on this viaduct over the White Cart.

Also, catenary and contact wires have been erected on the short run from Busby Junction to the end of the masts behind the Eastwood Old Cemetery. This is the first wiring run on the East Kilbride branch.

OB23Gone

As mentioned above, there are multiple site compounds. There is one at Nitshill and a new one in Barrhead has planning approval.

The advantage of the current compounds adjacent to the Larkfield link is that the project can take a possession of the route to Barrhead while the Queens Park side of the Cathcart circle remains open to traffic. That would not be possible if they needed to access the railway at Salkeld Street.

To be fair, electrification of the Larkfield link requires track lowering below two bridges and so the cost per mile would be greater than the average cost per mile of electrification.

Today, I noticed that the southern portal on the Pollokshaws viaduct has been erected. There will be one more portal on this viaduct over the White Cart.

Also, catenary and contact wires have been erected on the short run from Busby Junction to the end of the masts behind the Eastwood Old Cemetery. This is the first wiring run on the East Kilbride branch.
A Wee follow on from FR yesterday. Car in for MOT & Service so used train from Priesthill & Darnley.. Some pictures on the way. Looks like we are ALL JOINED UP now from Muirhouse Central Junction through to Levern Water Viaduct.
I suspect that there will be a BIG Drive to get all the wires in to just beyond Busby Junction Before The Blockade to allow them to solely concentrate from there to Barrhead

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 116

drb61

It does beg the question why it was replaced rather than simply removed. I guess in the scheme of the project it's not much but it does seem somewhat over-engineered for what is a tiny convenience to the general public.
There used to be another footbridge slightly further along the line towards Crossmyloof, which was removed many years ago. My thinking is that it would have been better to reinstate this than to rebuild the surviving one given that the former was at more of a 'halfway' point between the road crossings at Nithsdale Road and Titwood Road, thus would potentially have been more useful.

MadMac

There used to be another footbridge slightly further along the line towards Crossmyloof, which was removed many years ago. My thinking is that it would have been better to reinstate this than to rebuild the surviving one given that the former was at more of a 'halfway' point between the road crossings at Nithsdale Road and Titwood Road, thus would potentially have been more useful.
This is presumably the bridge in the background here: https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/22041

Southsider

Too late, it’s all trains under the bridge now!

I’ll get my coat …….

OB23Gone

This is presumably the bridge in the background here: https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/22041
Scan from old photo that I took away back when only knows of said bridge. The picture is of a DUFF on a Carlisle stopper taken from The Moray Place Bridge and an up to date new one taken from where the second bridge on Darnley Road entrance can still be found looking back to the Newly Installed one. The enlarging of the bridge loosed a lot of quality unfortunately

Scan from old photo that I took away back when only knows of said bridge. The picture is of a DUFF on a Carlisle stopper taken from The Moray Place Bridge and an up to date new one taken from where the second bridge on Darnley Road entrance can still be found looking back to the Newly Installed one. The enlarging of the bridge loosed a lot of quality unfortunately
The Wires are so much higher at this point from road level because of the incline that here would be a requirement for far more steps and if ramps were to be included they would have to run parallel with the Railway, on the Moray Place side. in fact the old steps did indeed do just that. Just not very clear on the enlargement

Attachments

• img008 8 Strathbungo Incline Carlisle Stopper OB23Gone jpg.jpg
    img008 8 Strathbungo Incline Carlisle Stopper OB23Gone jpg.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
  • img008 Strathbungo Incline 1st Fix ©OB23Gone 1st FB to go CROPPED OB23Gone.jpg
    img008 Strathbungo Incline 1st Fix ©OB23Gone 1st FB to go CROPPED OB23Gone.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0945 1st Fix Description from what was South Foot Bridge.jpg
    DSC_0945 1st Fix Description from what was South Foot Bridge.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Press release (with video) on the upcoming blockade:

Scotland’s Railway is reminding passengers that the railway will close between Kennishead and Kilmarnock for six-weeks as part of a £63m upgrade.

Engineers will be working around-the-clock from Saturday, June 24, until Thursday, August 3, to prepare the line to Barrhead for electrification.

During this critical phase of the Scottish Government-funded project, engineers will install overhead power lines and carry out platform works at Kennishead, Priesthill & Darnley, Nitshill and Barrhead stations.

At Nitshill, the existing station footbridge is also being removed and replaced with a new ramp to Platform 2 to provide step-free access.

Beyond Barrhead, track, signalling and embankment upgrades will also be delivered near Lugton, in East Ayrshire, while the line is closed.

OB23Gone

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 93
Early this morning, the contractor installed the catenary and contact wires on the Up Barrhead line from Crossmyloof Gardens to the Pollokshaws Bowling Club.

OB23Gone

Early this morning, the contractor installed the catenary and contact wires on the Up Barrhead line from Crossmyloof Gardens to the Pollokshaws Bowling Club.
Couple of pics from yesterday. Was expecting that the other line wiring would have been run in last night but not so . In fact the SPL Zeck wiring machine that has be working from Nitshill compound was not there today. Onwards & Upwards from Monday. No Portals in at Levernwater as at today

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 82

OB23Gone

Was Given a date of 3rd July for removal of Nitshill Foot Bridge. Work has started on the installation of the ramp
Went along to the NR Nitshill Drop In last night. 5 of us as follows :- 4 NR Staff in attendance to actually cover the Drop In & myself were the total that turned up for the full session. So not a great return of visitors for the 4.5k leaflets distributed to the locals. Not being local I was given the handouts that were available and given out. I noticed that there is a difference in the length of the ramp between the planning drawing and the SCOTLAND'S RAILWAY depiction of the works. There will be no car parking provision for either platforms

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 101
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 103

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Went along to the NR Nitshill Drop In last night. 5 of us as follows :- 4 NR Staff in attendance to actually cover the Drop In & myself were the total that turned up for the full session.

Neatly summarising one of the issues the industry faces about progressing works. It’s a safe bet that when the work starts some people will complain and say “well nobody told us”.

OB23Gone

New Foot Bridge Some Locals Comments. Most saying that it looks better than they had envisaged and a reasonable replacement for the original but preferred the old one. One lady stopped her car and shouted out that it was monstrous and too parapets were too high. Told her that the height was to deter people from climbing over so they couldn't get near the live wires she kind of took that in!!!. Her next objection was that it wasn't safe as the young kids would crawl between the spaces and fall onto the line below. When told that there would be Heavy Perspex Panels fitted in the spaces. Window up & quickly drove away. Certainly not designed for disabled and to a lesser extent elderly people. Over time with some landscaping, weathering and some stone work cladding fitted it will eventually be accepted
Work has started on the steps. Hand rails almost complete as adjustments had to be made after installation. "Bomb Proof Glazing" as it was referred as is going on Saturday

Falcon1200

Established Member
It’s a safe bet that when the work starts some people will complain and say “well nobody told us”.

Funny you should say that......

For the last few days there has been a lane closure on the road outside Barrhead station, with 3-way traffic lights and the bus stops serving the station out of use; Due to the electrification work! This has started before the line closure, which people do seem to know about; But AFAIK no-one, including me, knew about the road closure and the impact on traffic in Barrhead, especially at peak times, has been severe.

rapmastaj

Neatly summarising one of the issues the industry faces about progressing works. It’s a safe bet that when the work starts some people will complain and say “well nobody told us”.
Why not switch to online engagement for much greater public participation without the need to staff to sit around wsting time? E.g. see the wide-ranging and very well-used consultation materials produced by Connecting Leeds using the Commonplace web app.

nlogax

Established Member
For the last few days there has been a lane closure on the road outside Barrhead station, with 3-way traffic lights and the bus stops serving the station out of use; Due to the electrification work! This has started before the line closure, which people do seem to know about; But AFAIK no-one, including me, knew about the road closure and the impact on traffic in Barrhead, especially at peak times, has been severe.

Indeed.. I like to think I'm up to speed with this but those road closures outside the station completely threw me when I was trying to drive home the other night.

OB23Gone

Indeed.. I like to think I'm up to speed with this but those road closures outside the station completely threw me when I was trying to drive home the other night.
Just see an article in yesterday's Evening Times which puts the 6 weeks closure into another perspective. The Barrhead one will be a real pain even to me not living there but travel to pickup my Granddaughter.
A 52 week closure of Shields Rd Rail Bridge. Think this will cause mayhem around many of the arterial main roads.
Some of the older contributers may remember that at one time there were 3 Stations on this bridge. Not sure if actually the same physical one though.
Sorry know it's actually part of this thread

Just see an article in yesterday's Evening Times which puts the 6 weeks closure into another perspective. The Barrhead one will be a real pain even to me not living there but travel to pickup my Granddaughter.
A 52 week closure of Shields Rd Rail Bridge. Think this will cause mayhem around many of the arterial main roads.
Some of the older contributers may remember that at one time there were 3 Stations on this bridge. Not sure if actually the same physical one though.
Should read NOT part.....

Last edited:

waverley47

The 52 week closure of Shields Road bridge has been coming a while.

It's unrelated to any of the East Kilbride work, and is needed because the road bridge is basically falling to pieces. The road has had a weight restriction for decades and it got to the point in the last few years that it needs demolished or it's going to start dropping big pieces of concrete into the track.

As such, it's an interesting adjunct to this thread, but ultimately irrelevant.

snowball

Established Member

A press release about this appeared on the NR website yesterday.

Shields Road on the south side of Glasgow will close to traffic for a year to enable the demolition and rebuilding of the bridge over the railway.

The bridge has been subject to weight restrictions for more than 20 years, and the work will be undertaken by Network Rail and Glasgow City Council.

When complete, in summer 2024, the bridge will be stronger, wider and better able to handle the size and volume of traffic that needs to travel over it.

From August, work will see the diversion of a range of utilities that cross the structure followed by demolition of the existing bridge deck and repairs to bridge abutments. Utilities will then be reconnected over the bridge ahead of it fully reopening in summer 2024.

During the 12-month period, Shields Road will close to all vehicles between St Andrew’s Drive and Scotland Street. Pedestrian access (and access for cyclists who dismount) will be maintained throughout via a temporary bridge which will be installed early in the project.

In advance of the work, there will be a public drop-in from 4-7pm on Tuesday July 4 at Pollokshields Community Centre on Kenmure Street. Members of the community will have the chance to meet the project team and find out more about the work programme.

Edit:

Modern Railways July has a paragraph on the Barrhead blockade on page 25. It says the wires are due to be energised by 6 August.

Last edited:

clc

Established Member
I understand a new loop is to be built as part of the East Kilbride project. Is there any details about this in the public domain confirming location and length?

gingertom

Established Member
I understand a new loop is to be built as part of the East Kilbride project. Is there any details about this in the public domain confirming location and length?
Hairmyres station is planned to relocated 400m or so to the west. It will be a 2 platform station (allegedly) with the current short passing loop to the east of the existing single-track station being extended to incorporate the relocated station. This information is in the public domain somewhere, but as usual it keeps changing (ie descoped).

snowball

Established Member
Hairmyres station is planned to relocated 400m or so to the west. It will be a 2 platform station (allegedly) with the current short passing loop to the east of the existing single-track station being extended to incorporate the relocated station. This information is in the public domain somewhere, but as usual it keeps changing (ie descoped).
Post #1383 by @InOban mentioned, but didn't link, an item in the Daily Record, which I then looked up online, but didn't bother to post about. The link is here. It was probably trying to say the same thing about the loop that you have just said, though when I first read it I misunderstood it, and thought it meant that the existing loop east of Hairmyres would be extended eastward to reach to the (presumably still intended) two-platform layout at EK.

Having linked the Record I'll now have to quote it.

A pre-consultation exercise is to be launched on a new Park and Ride interchange at the proposed new Hairmyres train station.

Two engagement events are planned over the summer in Duncanrig Secondary School and in East Kilbride town centre and the public are being encouraged to find out more about plans for a new station.

The Labour-led administration at South Lanarkshire Council say the new interchange is needed to "get East Kilbride moving again" but repeated calls for the rail line between East Kilbride to Busby to be upgraded to dual track in full.

... a lot snipped ...

"The project will see the electrification of the track from Busby junction to East Kilbride. A section of this track will be dualled from the existing Hairmyres Loop which will enable improved service flexibility, resilience and performance benefits. It provides the flexibility to add services in to the timetable; including up to four trains per hour at various times throughout the day, if required. This will support increased passenger demand well into the future."

The plans will be available to the public between 6 and 8pm on June 26 in Duncanrig Secondary School and between 1 and 5pm on August 21 outside Costa Coffee in East Kilbride shopping centre’s Plaza mall with partners from Network Rail and Transport Scotland in attendance.