• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
I assumed he was referring to development costs but wouldnt be first time a politician has cocked up their numbers.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
When I go to Oxford Station I head straight to the bus station for a bus into the city centre. I do not see the need for an entrance on the Botley Road unless they build a large car park there.
Anyone even considering building a new car park in Oxford city centre is certifiably insane. Botley Road can’t cope with existing levels of traffic, let alone more.

There are plenty of pedestrian/cycle commuters from West Oxford, it makes a lot of sense to give them a direct entrance rather than funnelling everyone through the eastern side.

Falcon1200

Established Member
There are plenty of pedestrian/cycle commuters from West Oxford, it makes a lot of sense to give them a direct entrance rather than funnelling everyone through the eastern side.

Yes indeed, and anything that reduces the crush over the footbridge when a Down train arrives is a Good Thing. Also depending on how the new station is arranged, access from the Down side to the new bus station might be just as quick as crossing to the Up side.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Grant Shapps: The first thing I would do is cancel East-West rail to save £3-5m.

Well that doesnt bode well for government support :(
He's running in a leadership election where he would need to win a majority of Tory members, and EWR between Bedford and Cambridge has not exactly been popular with that demographic! It's an easy point to score for this election, and also forces other candidates to come up with some infrastructure proposals of their own.

Whether he would follow up this policy once in office is a very different matter.

alexx

He's running in a leadership election where he would need to win a majority of Tory members, and EWR between Bedford and Cambridge has not exactly been popular with that demographic! It's an easy point to score for this election, and also forces other candidates to come up with some infrastructure proposals of their own.

Whether he would follow up this policy once in office is a very different matter.

It's somewhat of a moot point as he dropped out of the leadership contest a couple of days ago anyway.

alexx

True, although presumably Rishi's offered him a job if he wins to do so.
Quite possibly - I see Shapps is backing Sunak in a somewhat predictable attempt to curry favour with the bookies favourite. No guarantee he'll get transport, and no guarantee this soundbite will be followed through with. Personally I hope they don't scrap it as, living at the Oxfordshire end of EWR, any journey towards that part of the world currently involves a trip into London which is somewhat wasteful. You're always going to have nimbies complaining for no apparent reason (just look at the residents of Summertown with the Oxford to Bicester section).

Sonik

But it's also very popular with others, with cross party support. So it seems like a very bizarre choice to make for point scoring.

Mikey C

Established Member
But it's also very popular with others, with cross party support. So it seems like a very bizarre choice to make for point scoring.
The nature of such leadership contests is that you need to produce headline grabbing policies at short notice...

tspaul26

Established Member
£3-5million for Oxford to Bedford?

The project gets better value with every new article.

Sonik

Another totally confused article. Phase 2 in the latest Shapps scare story is Bletchley to Bedford, the bit under way Bicester to Bletchley is phase 1.
It isn't really news, because the later phases were essentially dead already - they never really existed outside of an idea, that wasn't funded.

So I'm not really sure what's to be gained by announcing it as such, other than perhaps a non-committal political fudge in an attempt to placate a few NIMBYs.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
It isn't really news, because the later phases were essentially dead already - they never really existed outside of an idea, that wasn't funded.

So I'm not really sure what's to be gained by announcing it as such, other than perhaps a non-committal political fudge in an attempt to placate a few NIMBYs.
Nothing to do with NIMBYs, it's Tory leadership electioneering with Shapps wanting to show he can cut costs, to reduce taxation

Sonik

Nothing to do with NIMBYs, it's Tory leadership electioneering with Shapps wanting to show he can cut costs, to reduce taxation
The amounts concerned though are relatively trivial, essentially noise. Won't make any difference at all to taxation.

Mikey C

Established Member
The amounts concerned though are relatively trivial, essentially noise. Won't make any difference at all to taxation.
It's just a soundbite, something to make it sound like he's being tough on expenditure. And as he quickly lost, one which will be forgotten about

Tobbes

Established Member
When was the consultation on the Bedford - Cambridge route supposed to report?

Tobbes

Established Member
Thanks, I thought I'd missed it. Presumably delayed until after the new PM is installed in September now, then.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks, I thought I'd missed it. Presumably delayed until after the new PM is installed in September now, then.
AIUI from discussions here back in May the final statutory consultation hasn’t even started yet, last years was still preliminary stuff.

Tobbes

Established Member
Ah, many thanks - I thought that this was it, and we'd get a go/no-go decision sometime this year with the required legislation. Sod.

Julia

Just noticed that the latest Bedford local plan is out for consultation, and it appears to have dropped a (controversial) "new town" about 1-2 miles west of St Neots - with no direct access to rail, A1 or A421 - in favour of a (no doubt soon to be controversial) "new town" to the south of Little Barford, alongside the ECML and no doubt close to both EWR and the proposed A421.

Dunnyrail

There was talk some years back of a new town or at least a very large house building program at Tempsford, looks like that may have been dusted off and moved somewhat North. Either way currently there is no exit on the current A428 from Black Cat near where this or any potential interchange station between East West and ECML may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.