• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesT

Established Member
AIUI Didcot to Oxford electrification will happen once the Oxford remodelling is complete. It wouldn't make sense to tie WCML traffic at MK into potential disruption between Oxford and Didcot.
My understanding is that the remodelling necessary for electrification has already happened. Any future changes to the station would be adding more to the sides which wouldn’t require redoing the electrification.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Not if/when Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet goes ahead.

The Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet dual carriageway was approved yesterday, see BBC report here:

Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps has approved work to connect the A1 Black Cat roundabout to the A428 at Caxton Gibbet, bypassing St Neots.

Last edited by a moderator:

59CosG95

Established Member
The Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet dual carriageway was approved yesterday, see BBC report here:

To add to this, New Civil Engineer have reported that "Shapps drops another hint that EWR may not be delivered".

Transport secretary Grant Shapps has again indicated that the East West Rail scheme may not be delivered in full.
When approving National Highways’ proposed A428 Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet Development Consent Order application, Shapps dismissed claims that the road scheme is not needed as it runs along the same corridor as the proposed East West Rail.
He said that there was a “uncertainty and lack of detail around the East West Rail project” and added that it was unclear whether or not the rail scheme is delivered.
Earlier this month, engineers, MPs and business leaders warned Shapps against scrapping East West Rail.
Serious doubts have emerged over the latter stages of East West Rail after the Cabinet Office’s Infrastructure and Projects Authority said they appear unachievable and transport secretary Grant Shapps admitted he would like to scrap them during an interview on LBC radio.
A consortium of VolkerRail, Atkins, Laing O’Rourke and Network Rail is building the first phase of East West Rail, creating new track between Bicester and Bletchley to allow trains to run from Oxford to Milton Keynes by 2025.

Procurement of a delivery partner for a £677M job overseeing phases two and three – which will see the line built out to Bedford and then Cambridge – is due to start later this year.
But Shapps raised set alarm bells ringing when he mooted curtailing the project in an interview with LBC during his brief Tory leadership campaign last month.
Asked how he would trim the transport budget, the minister said: “I would take East West Rail and remove the second and third phases … we have to get to net zero but we don’t need to be hair-shirt about it, there are benefits in technology such as electric cars.”
Soon afterwards, the Cabinet Office’s Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) gave a red rating to stages two and three of the scheme.
This means the unit, which sits within the Cabinet Office, does not believe the scheme can meet its objectives on time and within budget unless risks are addressed.

The Department for Transport said in its own projects update, released to support the IPA’s report, that delivery approaches for East West Rail phases two and three were “being reviewed”.
“This is normal for a large complex project to ensure the business case remains viable,” added the department. “However, this does bring with it a degree of uncertainty over future plans, the scope, and how this project best delivers its intended benefits.”
Later phases of East West Rail were “in the concept and design phase” and “work continues to refine delivery strategies and the scope and to agree an affordable funding profile with the Treasury,” said the DfT.
More than £1.5bn of construction work is expected to be procured on the overall project over the next two years.
Network Rail earlier this year set out plans to expand east-west connectivity further, eventually linking Cardiff with Norwich.
Former High Speed 2 commercial director Beth West was appointed chief executive of East West Railway Company in March.
A spokesperson for East West Rail said in July of the IPA's red rating: “Developing a project like East West Rail is an iterative process and we will continue to keep the business case and delivery programme under review. This is the right approach to adopt, given the known uncertainty of government policy on the wider Ox-Cam Arc.
"We have already been refreshing the business case and testing the options for the future development of the scheme. We anticipate once that work is complete, we will update our programme and improve on this rating.”

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for consultation updates only.

We do welcome posts of a speculative nature on the forum but these must be posted exclusively in the Speculative Discussion section please.

Some posts have been moved to the following thread:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Its the politicians that count here but unless they start talking a sensible amount of money to complete it i suspect you will be right
Politicians ultimately cannot withstand the will of the civil service - it has been demonstrated time and again.

BrianW

Established Member
Politicians ultimately cannot withstand the will of the civil service - it has been demonstrated time and again.
For 'civil service' read professionals who weigh up pros and cons dispassionately and have to bow to the views of politicians who in turn have to get voted in respect the views of constituents?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
For 'civil service' read professionals who weigh up pros and cons dispassionately
The civil service is not some a group of some hyper objective automata. It is an organisation made of people, and like all such organisations it has internal politics that distorts the "objective" reality.
The biases of the people in the civil service are reflected in the decisions and views of the organisation

But ultimately this is rather far off topic.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Does anyone know when the results of the non-statutory consultation into changes to the Bletchley to Bedford line are due to be published?

I appreciate the recent uncertainty on political backing for the next phases was unhelpful, but what is taking East West Rail Co. take so long?

chrismk

Over 900 responses to consultation which covers the whole route to Cambridge with the Bedford area and route to Cambridge is very controversial. EWRCo hope to reveal soon but also need DfT to approve release. The 2019 TWA Order covered Marston Vale line but was found to be inadequate in spite of millions being spent on studies. DfT seem to have added in 2tph from Bletchley to Cambridge -very dubious that they are needed. Note also the delay with updates on Aylesbury section. Some reports that Oxford service will terminate at Bletchley in spite of the bay being built at MKC and paths identified by N/Rail. Oxford station upgrade work might be delayed too. Studies ongoing for east of Cambridge but delays over capacity at Ely. Cambridge South has finally been approved.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Over 900 responses to consultation which covers the whole route to Cambridge with the Bedford area and route to Cambridge is very controversial. EWRCo hope to reveal soon but also need DfT to approve release. The 2019 TWA Order covered Marston Vale line but was found to be inadequate in spite of millions being spent on studies. DfT seem to have added in 2tph from Bletchley to Cambridge -very dubious that they are needed. Note also the delay with updates on Aylesbury section. Some reports that Oxford service will terminate at Bletchley in spite of the bay being built at MKC and paths identified by N/Rail. Oxford station upgrade work might be delayed too. Studies ongoing for east of Cambridge but delays over capacity at Ely. Cambridge South has finally been approved.

Oxford station upgrade has already been delayed, it was supposed to start a few days ago. This has not gone down well with local businesses, transport networks and residents who were expecting the Botley Road to be closed, as planned, from January 9th and had made plans accordingly.

Jammy Dodger

Created as a specific place to discuss and give updates for EWR Phase 3 (Bedford to Cambridge). Current plans below:

Latest news/update is Cambridge South has been given a Transport and Works Act order to begin construction, pending planning permission being granted from Cambridgeshire Council (see here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64110685)

D365

Veteran Member
My understanding was that Cambridge South is being developed and constructed by Network Rail, and thus doesn't fall under East West Rail auspices.

An existing RailUK discussion can be found here.

Jammy Dodger

My understanding was that Cambridge South is being developed and constructed by Network Rail, and thus doesn't fall under East West Rail auspices.

An existing RailUK discussion can be found here.
I've seen multiple claims between whether it is related to EWR, or an independent project. Regardless, it is being used to lay foundations for the south approach to Cambridge in order to increase capacity for EWR. I also read that almost all EWR services would stop there.

Jammy Dodger

Its not funded by EWR and will open before it, most likely.
Ah, ok.

Assuming Cambridgeshire Council gives planning permission, preparatory site work is expected to begin later in Q1, with a rough completion (if not rather optimistic) around the end of the year. EWR P3 likely won't have selected a route by then!

zwk500

Veteran Member
I've seen multiple claims between whether it is related to EWR, or an independent project. Regardless, it is being used to lay foundations for the south approach to Cambridge in order to increase capacity for EWR. I also read that almost all EWR services would stop there.
Cambridge south is a completely separate project. EWR may well call there, but it is happening regardless of whether EWR gets anywhere near.

Jammy Dodger

Suspect you’re a bit premature in starting this thread off, then!
Why do you think I added general discussion in the title!?

Cambridge south is a completely separate project. EWR may well call there, but it is happening regardless of whether EWR gets anywhere near.
Generally a good thing overall though - press reports say 2 million passengers would use it every year, with one outlet claiming nearer 9 million!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Generally a good thing overall though - press reports say 2 million passengers would use it every year, with one outlet claiming nearer 9 million!
Indeed, but the next phase of EWR to concentrate on is Bedford-Bletchley. The preferred route corridor for Bedford-Cambridge has been announced but nothing more, IIRC.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Has it (Phase 2) not started construction already? I thought it had...
Bicester-Bletchley is under construction, but there's already a thread on that. I've lost track of exactly which phase is which. Bedford-Bletchley is waiting the report back from the public consultation on which option for the Marston Vale they go with in terms of stations being rebuilt, etc.

D365

Veteran Member
Why do you think I added general discussion in the title!?
Not a lot to talk about until the preferred route (blue or purple, IIRC) is announced. Any recent discussion of the Phase 3 route appears to have taken place here.

Neen Sollars

When are details of the preferred route Bedford to Cambridge likely to be announced? Where are we currently in the process?

mwmbwls

When are details of the preferred route Bedford to Cambridge likely to be announced? Where are we currently in the process?
A recent press release

“We are in the process of finalising our recommendations for consideration by government in the early part of 2023. Once that’s happened, we will then be able to respond formally to the consultation and update local communities on the route choice. I don’t have a confirmed date for that publication yet, but as soon I do I will let you know.

“The Chancellor’s commitment was great news for the businesses who needed certainty about EWR so they can crack on with their long-term investment plans. But for those people I’ve spoken to whose homes could be impacted by the railway, I know that certainty about the route choice is also critical, and the whole team here is focused on bringing that certainty as quickly as possible. My personal pledge as we close out the year is to work with government and the team to publish an update as soon as possible.”

Beth West Chief Executive Officer East West Rail
Soutce:

Tobbes

Established Member
Perhaps we'll hear something in the Budget in a coupe of weeks? It's an obvious candidate for a Budget annoucement. Or is it too cynical to suggest that this is being delayed until after the May Local Elections?

tspaul26

Established Member

Perhaps we'll hear something in the Budget in a coupe of weeks? It's an obvious candidate for a Budget annoucement. Or is it too cynical to suggest that this is being delayed until after the May Local Elections?
Budget announcement unlikely.

There is still a lot to be done, but based on past experience I would expect an announcement in late May or early June. The main draft report is currently sitting on my desk for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.