• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Trainee9

An interesting video has appeared on RMweb, showing ballasting etc and noting that the track has reached Clare Farm near Winslow. It looks like this the area where the Little Horwood Road runs under a railway bridge on the outskirts of Winslow. Just to the east of here the railway trackbed is at about the same height of the road and within sight of it, so it ought to be possible to see something if one halts there. I drove past here a few days ago but did not stop to see if there ws anything on the trackbed.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It looks like this the area where the Little Horwood Road runs under a railway bridge on the outskirts of Window. Just to the east of here the railway trackbed is at about the same height of the road and within sight of it, so it ought to be possible to see something if one halts there. I drove past here a few days ago but did not stop to see if there ws anything on the trackbed.
Where is Window?

davetheguard

Established Member
Government has just published review (dated April 2021)

Interesting that the review says: "ministers remain committed to CS2 & CS3" when Shapps has been going round during the leadership contest talking the project's later stages down.

As I understand it, CS2 is Bletchley - Bedford; CS3 is Bedford - Cambridge.

Mixed messages coming out from Government it seems. Is the full project going ahead; or just as far as Bedford; or is it cancelled beyond Bletchley/Milton Keynes? More forked tongue and smoke & mirrors?

Edit: I've just noticed that the review's date is April 2021, not 2022, which may explain the discrepancy.

tspaul26

Established Member
CS2 is Oxford to Bedford; CS3 is Oxford and Bletchley to Cambridge.

It’s based on service groups, not discrete geographical sub-divisions of the route.
Mixed messages coming out from Government it seems. Is the full project going ahead; or just as far as Bedford; or is it cancelled beyond Bletchley/Milton Keynes? More forked tongue and smoke & mirrors?
There’s a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes, but no decision has been made to cancel anything (as I type this post, at least).

davetheguard

Established Member
CS2 is Oxford to Bedford; CS3 is Oxford and Bletchley to Cambridge.

It’s based on service groups, not discrete geographical sub-divisions of the route.

There’s a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes, but no decision has been made to cancel anything (as I type this post, at least).

No news is good news. Thanks tspaul26.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Interesting that the review says: "ministers remain committed to CS2 & CS3" when Shapps has been going round during the leadership contest talking the project's later stages down.

Edit: I've just noticed that the review's date is April 2021, not 2022, which may explain the discrepancy.
Get the costs down and the business case will improve but the railway is only interested in finding expensive solutions these days

snowball

Established Member
RAIL 964 p. 10 says tracklaying should be complete by autumn 2023, and Bicester to Bletchley should be complete, tested and available to trains from July 2024.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Needs to be available for train testing earlier than July. Spring from what Ive been told.

richieb1971

Established Member
I've always felt there was a sense of urgency over the western section. The connection to hs2 is very important.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I've always felt there was a sense of urgency over the western section. The connection to hs2 is very important.
EWR doesn't connect to HS2, other than the maintenance sidings which were already next to an active railway.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn't there a connection at Calvert? https://www.hs2.org.uk/building-hs2/trains/calvert-infrastructure-maintenance-depot/
Not for passenger use, but potentially useful for construction once the tracks get that far?
It’s been simplified, there was going to be a south to east route, (Southern Access Chord), into the infrastructure depot sidings, with a skew bridge under EWR, but that was dropped. The only connection now will be off the southbound HS2 into the infrastructure depot, and then through a connection at the east end of the depot onto the eastbound EWR, with a couple of loops alongside EWR.

It was discussed a few months back in this thread, but was in a presentation linked in post #323 here, I think most people missed it first time it appeared:

It’s a bullet point towards the end of the presentation, about pages 24/25 of 30.
“The Southern Access Chord into the IMD (an additional length of track) has also been removed to simplify the construction process.”

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A couple of quick photos taken from the new Launton Rd bridge, OXD/34A. The first one is looking west showing the first pair of rails extending from Bicester, the disused station house on the left, with a new road access roughly where the level crossing used to be. Then in the second picture looking east the rails seem to extend about as far as the next underbridge, which is the rebuilt OXD/34, on the Bicester Road leading to Marsh Gibbon.
835CBC03-E66A-4A88-9605-486FF493C786.jpeg0B8D8AF5-7B76-4227-B8EB-069C662B1542.jpeg

richieb1971

Established Member
A lovely setting. Railways are very beautiful things, if you love beautiful things.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A lovely setting. Railways are very beautiful things, if you love beautiful things.
I’m quite impressed by the level of detail even a phone camera achieves, that’s with no adjustment or manual focusing, just cropped away a lot of the sky.

BrianW

Established Member
Excellent; thank you so much for these, esp amongst so much gloom to which we so readily succumb- and that includes me!

Hope passengers will soon enjoy the beautiful views too.