• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes it does seem a fairly unambitious target, looking at construction progress on main civils so far. Can’t be that long before Winslow station build starts.
Remember that construction finishing is only halfway. You've got to commission and test the systems, then train the staff and test the processes (e.g. evacuations). You've also got to do gauging checks. Once all that's done, you have a trial running period then a preview service anyway.

Given the level of interaction with Oxford and Milton Keynes, especially with Oxford remodelling, the timescales aren't necessarily unrealistically slow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cle

Established Member
Will it begin Oxford-Bletchley (2tph?), even if the MKC part hasn't been pathed or figured out yet. Or continue onto Marston, even if like today with the current Bedford set-up? Could it handle turning 1tph EWR and the Masrton stopper?

Curious as to the launch plan if the Bletchley - Oxford stretch is good to go.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I don't think anything is using the MKC Oxford teminating platform nowadays
If you mean 2a at MKC (the Bay) then yes, nothing is using it. However the problem is not the platform, but the stretch between Denbigh hall South Jn and MKC station.

cle

Established Member
There was talk about a fifth line between the two. Surely EWR could wait at Bletchley and then flight right behind a northbound WCML slow service? Similarly, it could wait in 2A until just after a departure for Bletchley (and that up direction wouldn't have a crossing conflict at Bletchley - unless a reverse EWR train towards MKC).

Wondering for Winslow and catchment what the London-move will be - via Bletchley (38 mins 1 stop) or via Bicester (47 mins 1 stop). Probably Bletchley if the connecting journey is shorter too.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There was talk about a fifth line between the two. Surely EWR could wait at Bletchley and then flight right behind a northbound WCML slow service? Similarly, it could wait in 2A until just after a departure for Bletchley (and that up direction wouldn't have a crossing conflict at Bletchley - unless a reverse EWR train towards MKC).
A 5th line is unlikely in the next 3.5 years. The timetable problems are not unsolvable, but do require a bit of thought to make sure you get a reliable, useful service. A lot of that work has already been done though, albeit pre-covid.
Wondering for Winslow and catchment what the London-move will be - via Bletchley (38 mins 1 stop) or via Bicester (47 mins 1 stop). Probably Bletchley if the connecting journey is shorter too.
Via Bletchley I'd have thought most days, but the Chiltern line offers a good alternative if you don't need the underground, don't like the very busy Euston services or the WCML goes up the spout.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Also remember you need the margin with an up train MK bound.

mr_moo

Not stricly East West rail but there's a "Virtual Site Visit" by the ICE on the HS2 / East West rail bridge construction coming up.
29th July, 18:00.
I'm pretty sure it's open to non-members of the ICE.

Trainee9

Bletchley viaduct: Some beams hve been placed spanning between piers 25 & 24. Pier 27 still awaits its cap block. Pier 24 (left in 2nd pic) stands a few feet from the big concrete box erected earlier this year.

Attachments

• 101_0961.JPG
    101_0961.JPG
    674.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 101_0962.JPG
    101_0962.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 135

TiddlyPom

Bletchley viaduct: Some beams hve been placed spanning between piers 25 & 24. Pier 27 still awaits its cap block. Pier 24 (left in 2nd pic) stands a few feet from the big concrete box erected earlier this year.
The pier numbering has all gone a bit wonky in the rebuild.

Referring to the drawing from post #12 all the new piers are xxA, so starting from the south the old piers get as far as 16, then there is 17A, 18A and 19A are the box over the mainline, 20A is the corner support and the one I think you are referring to as 24 is 21A. The next pier is the old pier 25.

Clear as mud, I'm sure!

Trainee9

Referring to the drawing from post #12 all the new piers are xxA, so starting from the south the old piers get as far as 16, then there is 17A, 18A and 19A are the box over the mainline, 20A is the corner support and the one I think you are referring to as 24 is 21A. The next pier is the old pier 25.

The viaduct has not been rebuilt exactly according to the planning drawing, so as far as I can see, 21A does not exist but 24 (an original pier) still does.
And here is a look at what is happening up top:

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member

Isn't there supposed to be a plan to extend Aylesbury trains to Bletchley/Milton Keynes (definitely that link is shown on EWR route diagrams), thus giving through services to London, or has that now been postponed?

Elecman

Established Member
Isn't there supposed to be a plan to extend Aylesbury trains to Bletchley/Milton Keynes (definitely that link is shown on EWR route diagrams), thus giving through services to London, or has that now been postponed?
Postponed and removed from scope

nw1

Established Member
Surprised as I wouldn't have thought it would cost that much, given AFAIK there is still a line north of Aylesbury to the junction. If WCML capacity is an issue then I guess it could always have terminated at Bletchley, but maybe someone has figured out that there is not a huge market from Aylesbury to Oxford or the WCML?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Surprised as I wouldn't have thought it would cost that much, given AFAIK there is still a line north of Aylesbury to the junction. If WCML capacity is an issue then I guess it could always have terminated at Bletchley, but maybe someone has figured out that there is not a huge market from Aylesbury to Oxford or the WCML?
Remember that HS2 plonks itself over the existing line north of Quainton and has to be realigned.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Remember that HS2 plonks itself over the existing line north of Quainton and has to be realigned.
But HS2 plans to re-build the relevant section alongside, and may even need it to support construction and maintenance via the depot at Calvert. So as far as I can see, the HS2 work may only mean a temporary closure, which may or may not be before when the passenger service would have started.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Through services to London were binned by DfT before the TWA inquiry took place, so about 2018, and it was all explained/confirmed in the inspectors report at the time. It’s been discussed a few times in the main EWR thread that this one was pulled out from, in order to concentrate on discussing the agreed scheme...

The Planner

Veteran Member
But HS2 plans to re-build the relevant section alongside, and may even need it to support construction and maintenance via the depot at Calvert. So as far as I can see, the HS2 work may only mean a temporary closure, which may or may not be before when the passenger service would have started.
It was more to reply about the cost, especially with the bat cage etc...

hwl

Established Member
Effectively making sure the costs fall on HS2 for what has been agreed but no enforcing a different earlier EWR timing on HS2 if HS2 gets delayed (which it has) so Aylesbury - MK would open later than the Oxford - MK service.
So when HS2 are nearing ready to hand over you look at the cost of Aylesbury - MK at that point in time.

The advantage is also much better certainty on timing and cost by focusing on Bicester - Bletchley.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Effectively making sure the costs fall on HS2 for what has been agreed but no enforcing a different earlier EWR timing on HS2 if HS2 gets delayed (which it has) so Aylesbury - MK would open later than the Oxford - MK service.
So when HS2 are nearing ready to hand over you look at the cost of Aylesbury - MK at that point in time.

The advantage is also much better certainty on timing and cost by focusing on Bicester - Bletchley.
The alternative would have been doing the minimum necessary to upgrade the line for passenger use and start the service, only for a long closure a couple of years later while HS2 destroyed and re-built most of it.

tspaul26

Established Member

There are a number of…ahem, issues…shall we say, to contend with in this regard.

Many of which are currently bunging up my in-tray!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that the purpose of this thread is to report East West Rail construction progress.

Trainee9

Can I remind posters that the purpose of this thread is to report East West Rail construction progress.

Thanks
And here's the link for planning chat: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...tation-updates-not-speculation.99892/page-181

Bletchley Viaduct: By Thursday, Pier 27 had acquired a deep set of cap blocks, stepped for beams of unequal depth. Beside the north end of the concrete box there is now a pile of shell blocks in the "Pier 20A" position which were not there a few days ago. Possibly they are to support the angled connection between the box and the viaduct.

Attachments

• 101_0964.JPG
    101_0964.JPG
    884.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 101_0965.JPG
    101_0965.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

eMeS

And here's the link for planning chat: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...tation-updates-not-speculation.99892/page-181

Bletchley Viaduct: By Thursday, Pier 27 had acquired a deep set of cap blocks, stepped for beams of unequal depth. Beside the north end of the concrete box there is now a pile of shell blocks in the "Pier 20A" position which were not there a few days ago. Possibly they are to support the angled connection between the box and the viaduct.
Thanks for the updates.

Trainee9

Bletchly viaduct: Several of the shallower beams now placed between piers 26 & 27, behind Duncombe Street (pic 0975). Work is continuing on top of the 'box' to place rebars which evidently will reinforce a top layer of concrete and built-up parapets. Looks like a labour-intensive task. Wed. 4pm: The pile of shell blocks referenced in #117 pic 0965 now has a cap block.

Attachments

• 101_0975.JPG
    101_0975.JPG
    762.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
I noticed that the new overbridges between Oxford and Bicester seem to have pretty long spans.
It Surely can’t be passive for four tracking (!), is that just the new standard to leave plenty of space for trackside workers to go under whilst staying decently clear of the track?