• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Perhaps not the flatter ones (some of the MML bridges were elliptical).

A bit better certainly but still a bit stark.
Would a bit of brick dressing really add that much to the cost?
For modern loading gauges which are essentially rectangular, the road surface on an arch bridge is always going to be higher than on a beam bridge. Every metre of extra road height will mean 30m+ more of the road approaches on each side need re-constructing. And if anything an arch needs more solid abutments, because it needs to withstand lateral as well as vertical forces from the span.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
For modern loading gauges which are essentially rectangular, the road surface on an arch bridge is always going to be higher than on a beam bridge. Every metre of extra road height will mean 30m+ more of the road approaches on each side need re-constructing. And if anything an arch needs more solid abutments, because it needs to withstand lateral as well as vertical forces from the span.
Agreed no engineer is going to propose arch bridges these days and neither is the person with the cheque book going to agree. This practical reality hasn't changed since before WW1.

alf

On Moderation
Surely this tutorial does not apply to a road over a railway in cutting bridge.
Although this is not the case here.

SteveT

Thank you, Alf, for support (of a sort).

I have finished digging the bullets out of the living room wall...

Brush 4

He is just expressing an opinion that the bridge is ugly. The Mob were not disagreeing, they were saying he was wrong. Evidence isn't needed for an opinion. The mods on here should be clamping down on this sort of thing rather than people going off topic, which all conversations tend to do, all the time......

hwl

Established Member
The "For modern loading gauges which are essentially rectangular," bit is still very applicable as this rules out lots of potential arch geometries

stuu

Established Member
Isn't modern civil engineering beautiful? Such style...

How long did it take in the drawing office to produce that excrescence? Two minutes?
It's clean and simple, and some thought has clearly gone into the aesthetics of the abutment walls

It is worth pointing out that Brunel or Stephenson would have used pre-cast concrete had it been available to them, they chose the most appropriate materials and methods available to them at the time

fgwrich

Established Member
It's clean and simple, and some thought has clearly gone into the aesthetics of the abutment walls

It is worth pointing out that Brunel or Stephenson would have used pre-cast concrete had it been available to them, they chose the most appropriate materials and methods available to them at the time
I always find this debate rather funny - as you say, Brunel, Stephenson etc would have used Concrete had it been available to them, just as Sir Robert McApline did with Glenfinnan Viaduct. Speaking of which, it isn't actually that pretty when you look at it up close, but it is the landscape that its in and stands out from that makes it so scenic. Heading back to topic, I would rather have quality bridges built out of concrete that are both built within the forms of the budget, and readily adaptable for a modern changing railway than one where the aesthetics have been given priority over it's purpose, and can't be easily adapted for future changes - eg, see the Borders Railway.

SteveT

Goodness. Who'd have thought there'd be so many lovers of boring old concrete in the country. And so many readers of the minds of the dead as well.

As for Glenfinnan viaduct...there's just something about it that distinguishes it from that stark little bridge near Bicester. I wonder what that could be...

vic-rijrode

I like that bridge, concrete or no concrete. Many of the older brick-arched bridges do nothing for me - and in fact are depressing to my eyes.

gallafent

I like that bridge, concrete or no concrete. Many of the older brick-arched bridges do nothing for me - and in fact are depressing to my eyes.
I agree, these structures are functional, they're not artworks, … and those which demonstrate the best function look immeasurably more attractive to me than those that are compromised in function instead aiming for a (subjective) beauty, be it anachronistic or otherwise — likewise conserving an old civil engineered structure when that actually compromises the operation of the overall infrastructure of which it is a part, makes me very sad (reference: Steventon bridge and GWR electrification). It's a transport system, not a museum.

Trainee9

Bletchley Viaduct: the large crane has gone from the Duncombe Road compound, and it is noted elsewhere that no more beams are expected till late next week. At the south end of the box, a large yellow heavy lift crane has appeared, Pier 17 now has a stepped cap block, and what looks like a very large concrete beam is lying nearby.
Update Sunday AM: during the hours of darkness 17-18 July, there was evident crane action with the giant yellow crane. On Sunday morning some large concrete beams were in place spanning between pier 17A and the doglegged end wall of the Box. From Water Eaton Road only the edge beam was clearly visible. This leaves one gap to be spanned at the southern end (17A-16) and two gaps (+ a smaller one next to tbe Box) to be spanned at the northern end.

Attachments

• 101_0979.JPG
    101_0979.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
My phone pinged a message that volkerfitzpatrick has been awarded the contract for the high level platforms at Bletchley.

Unfortunately the rest of the story needs a registration and possibly behind a pay wall.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My phone pinged a message that volkerfitzpatrick has been awarded the contract for the high level platforms at Bletchley.

Unfortunately the rest of the story needs a registration and possibly behind a pay wall.
Here’s a version of the story in the online Rail Technology Magazine:
As part of the East West Rail - Western Section Phase 2 programme, VolkerFitzpatrick has been contracted to construct Bletchley High Level station in preparation for the delivery of much-needed transport connections for communities between Oxford and Cambridge.

VolkerFitzpatrick will connect the existing station to the East West Rail line, once it is opened in 2024, by building a new link bridge to the existing platforms at Bletchley station and constructing two new high level platforms, which will connect the station to the Bletchley Flyover and take the total number of platforms from six to eight. In addition, it is proposed that two lifts and an underpass will also be constructed in order to provide access between platforms 7 and 8.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So no mention of a new eastern access for the time being.
Wouldn’t the problem with that be getting past, (or over), the access road to the concrete plant. I’ve seen something about how it would be done a few years ago, but I wonder if it’s more of a local council proposal than a developed plan?

tspaul26

Established Member
Wouldn’t the problem with that be getting past, (or over), the access road to the concrete plant. I’ve seen something about how it would be done a few years ago, but I wonder if it’s more of a local council proposal than a developed plan?
As far as I am aware it’s definitely being looked into as an option. I think the CEMEX access road is a bit further north.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware it’s definitely being looked into as an option. I think the CEMEX access road is a bit further north.
The problem I think is the Cemex road starts out north of the roundabout, but heads south alongside the flyover approach and loops round underneath right where the P7/8 stairs are.

tspaul26

Established Member
The problem I think is the Cemex road starts out north of the roundabout, but heads south alongside the flyover approach and loops round underneath right where the P7/8 stairs are.
In that case, presumably the extended footbridge will either be skewed so as to join up to the new underpass between 7 and 8 (beneath one of the other arches I suppose) or you will have to walk along platform 7 for a bit to then use the underpass across to 8.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In that case, presumably the extended footbridge will either be skewed so as to join up to the new underpass between 7 and 8 (beneath one of the other arches I suppose) or you will have to walk along platform 7 for a bit to then use the underpass across to 8.
Here’s a before and after drawing from the TWA application, the footbridge will be skewed as your first idea, and for P8 it will be a question of going down through and back up under the first section of flyover, right next to the end wall of the embankment:

Attachments

• 06E523E5-592E-45FF-9D94-E022F61B6DD4.jpeg
    06E523E5-592E-45FF-9D94-E022F61B6DD4.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 140

zwk500

Veteran Member
Here’s a before and after drawing, the footbridge will be skewed, and for P8 it will be a question of going down through and back up under the first section of flyover, right next to the end wall of the embankment:
It looks from the drawing that the biggest issue will be working out a safe walking route from the P8 access to the Pelican crossing (or putting in a new footbridge from P8 direct to the bus station).

Trainee9

Bletchley Viaduct: The giant yellow crane was moved to the Duncombe Street compound in the last couple of days, and from this morning work was in progress to install beams across piers 28-27 adjacent to the Buckingham Road crossing. Delivery of beams to span the remaining gaps is delayed.

Attachments

• 101_0983.JPG
    101_0983.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

Elecman

Established Member
Correct and also leads to the Network Rail maintenance depot

Dougal2345

Isn't modern civil engineering beautiful? Such style...

How long did it take in the drawing office to produce that excrescence? Two minutes?
I am sure it won't be too long before that lovely plain surface is painted in all the colours of the rainbow :s

The Planner

Veteran Member
I am sure it won't be too long before that lovely plain surface is painted in all the colours of the rainbow :s
Determined graffiti artist if they want to go out there, I have no doubt there are plenty of location cases etc they can still tag and the bridge regardless of it is a plain smooth service.

Neen Sollars

Bletchley Viaduct: The giant yellow crane was moved to the Duncombe Street compound in the last couple of days, and from this morning work was in progress to install beams across piers 28-27 adjacent to the Buckingham Road crossing. Delivery of beams to span the remaining gaps is delayed.

Apparently the final edge/side beam did not fit. Crane off to another contract and final beam not installed. Oops!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Determined graffiti artist if they want to go out there, I have no doubt there are plenty of location cases etc they can still tag and the bridge regardless of it is a plain smooth service.
The risk of graffiti is just the same regardless of the aesthetics of the bridge itself.