• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

LUYMun

Some construction updates:

Bletchley High Level Station
View attachment 152662

Bletchley Flyover
View attachment 152663

Salden Wood
View attachment 152664

Swanbourne Station (former site)
View attachment 152665

Moco Farm (bridge jacking trail)
View attachment 152666

Winslow Station
View attachment 152668
View attachment 152669

Verney Junction (former site)
View attachment 152670

Claydon Loop (east end)
View attachment 152671

Some construction updates (2 of 2):

Claydon Loop (+ HS2 Interchange & Claydon Curve)
View attachment 152672

HS2 Calvert IMD Turnout
View attachment 152673

Launton Station (former site)
View attachment 152674

Charbridge Lane
View attachment 152675
That looks fab - can't wait for it to open!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thank you for all the replies it's very interesting to read , although I do not profess to funky understand the technical sides , but that description of the experiment from lowering mine speeds only to slowly increase them , means they should have if possible or workable , lowered the track , I guess that eoukd have been cheaper, but not sure if that would have been possible.
Really as was said they should have just altered it re built the bridge , and for aesthetic reasons in countryside they could have built a modern structure and refaced it with the old dressed stone work , to blend in better , than some motorway style modern bridge . Like they have at Leven with the Bawbee bridge.

Also this curve people are discussing , is this for the proposed link to Aylesbury or wherever it was supposed to reach .
As for GWR there was actually a mention in one of the railway magazines that ran an article on EWR , then again recently about the various new open access operators and new train routes , and there was mention of GWR trains running west from Oxford toward Milton Keynes .
After all the EWR services , are using cascaded or loaned 6 car 196's I think they are , I'd need to check , but if they are not running many services a day, it seems a missed opportunity to provide competitive services , that would give rail users more choice , simarly when it is eventually joined up to the greater Anglia region they took could extend their services westward toward Bedford for example , EWR is a pretty big project and probably one of the longest reopenings of all.
The fact it crosses the West coast mainline , midland mainline and ECML ought to give plenty of scope for extra services .
One thing that isn't being mentioned is will they allow freight trains to run, as this would help alleviate traffic on the roads , even though they are supposed to be upgrading roads .
The aim of government seems to be to get as many people on public transport as possible..this is clearly seen and was in the magazine article about the number of new stations being opened this year alone and last year or perhaps Chiltern could run it's Intercity services along there .
Other wise this expensive project is going to be very under utilised .
And that wasn't the aim when they decided to build it.
My bold.

At Steventon Network Rail could not lower the track much because there is a level crossing very near.

At Steventon the council refused planning permission to replace the bridge. However I wonder if what you suggest was considered. I don't think there have been any such planning issues for East West rail.

The 196s (six of the two car 196/0s ?) were I believe specifically ordered by West Midlands Trains for use on East West rail. They will be sub leased to Chiltern and operated by Chiltern if I remember correctly. Puzzles me how far ahead of use they were ordered.

I think the full route (East of Bedford) is a long way off.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't think the Great Western has discontinuous electrification in the sense of regular non-electrified gaps in the OLE. There are points where the OLE stops and there are automatic-power-changeover (APCO) systems that the bi-mode trains to switch to/from the OLE in those locations. But I don't believe there's any locations where discontinuous electrification was used to avoid bridge rebuilds.
Aren't there GWML bridges in Cardiff with special treatment to allow wiring without rebuilding?
And doesn't the TfW CVL scheme (Cardiff Valleys) use discontinuous wiring on the various branches (not operational yet of course, and relatively low speed)?

snowball

Established Member
Aren't there GWML bridges in Cardiff with special treatment to allow wiring without rebuilding?
Just one as far as I know, the intersection bridge where the main line goes under the curve from Queen Street.

I think a poster may have got mixed up between this and the discontinuous Valleys wiring.

I have seen reports that the insulating paint and surge arrestors will now be used at other locations on the MML, TRU and in Scotland.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Does anybody have the eventual layout and any connections for the Quainton Rd Heritage site?

How do you mean? The Quainton site is unaffected by HS2 construction and will remain unchanged. I don't believe there's any main line connection to the site now and I'm not aware any such connection is proposed.

If any EWR service using the spur to Aylesbury comes to eventual fruition, those trains will not be stopping at Quainton.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If any EWR service using the spur to Aylesbury comes to eventual fruition, those trains will not be stopping at Quainton.
AFAICT from the EWR TWA order drawings the EWR work at Quainton Rd is mostly about fencing alterations to make both platforms completely inaccessible to railway centre visitors, removal of existing barrow crossings, and an additional doorway is to be added to the up side building to allow normal access from the opposite side away from the platform.

Completely separately, HS2 are closing the through road that passes over the bridge at the north of the station, but all that means is that access to the down side Quainton site is along a ‘no through road’ from the east. Not really an EWR matter.

There are however significant works planned at Aylesbury Vale Parkway to add the necessary through platform.

12LDA28C

Established Member
AFAICT from the EWR TWA order drawings the EWR work at Quainton Rd is mostly about fencing alterations to make both platforms completely inaccessible to railway centre visitors, removal of existing barrow crossings, and an additional doorway is to be added to the up side building to allow normal access from the opposite side away from the platform.

If this is the case, how would visitors access the part of the Railway Centre which is on the Down side and includes the merry-go-round, bookshop and so on which is currently accessed via the footbridge from one platform to the other?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If this is the case, how would visitors access the part of the Railway Centre which is on the Down side and includes the merry-go-round, bookshop and so on which is currently accessed via the footbridge from one platform to the other?
The fence route deviates as necessary to leave the footbridge steps outside the fenced area.

Attachments

• Quainton Rd fence line TWA 20 Feb 2024.png
    Quainton Rd fence line TWA 20 Feb 2024.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 155

Mark24

The fence route deviates as necessary to leave the footbridge steps outside the fenced area.
It does seem an unnecessary overkill. The public stand on fence free platforms all over the country on far more active railways.
I suppose it would require an announcement system informing people using the railway centre to stand clear. The approaching train will not stop.

janahan

Being a museum and not a real station, people (especially children) may not be in a mindset of safty and minding the trains so actually a fence is required.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Being a museum and not a real station, people (especially children) may not be in a mindset of safty and minding the trains so actually a fence is required.

The station of course is rather separate from the museum, and up until just a few years ago it certainly was used as a 'real station' to run main line shuttle trains to and from Aylesbury in connection with certain events at Quainton.

BrianW

Established Member
I note that the fence to the lineside Platform is shown on the plan as 'Demountable fence', thus allowing the potential serving of the station by trains, if the fence is readily demountable- it's proximity to the platform edge is otherwise something of a constraining factor.
The station of course is rather separate from the museum, and up until just a few years ago it certainly was used as a 'real station' to run main line shuttle trains to and from Aylesbury in connection with certain events at Quainton.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I note that the fence to the lineside Platform is shown on the plan as 'Demountable fence', thus allowing the potential serving of the station by trains, if the fence is readily demountable- it's proximity to the platform edge is otherwise something of a constraining factor.
The impression I get is that it would be dismountable for occasional special events, but I’ve no longer got any written explanations filed away, only the TWA drawings. Of course that was a few years ago and they could still do something different, but I’d tend to agree with #1511, there’ll be no normal calls.

BrianW

Established Member
The impression I get is that it would be dismountable for occasional special events, but I’ve no longer got any written explanations filed away, only the TWA drawings. Of course that was a few years ago and they could still do something different, but I’d tend to agree with #1511, there’ll be no normal calls.
I see now that that is (was?) a 2018 drawing- almost 'history'? Is it still valid? Is Planning Permission required? I note that the platform buildings. platform and bridge are 'listed': https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1390836?section=official-list-entrylisted buildng quainton

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see now that that is (was?) a 2018 drawing- almost 'history'? Is it still valid? Is Planning Permission required? I note that the platform buildings. platform and bridge are 'listed': https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1390836?section=official-list-entrylisted buildng quainton
The TWA inspectors report and Secretary of State‘s response to it, ie the actual TWA Order, provide the necessary deemed planning permission, even for the listed structure matters. There‘s a separate application for listed building consent to the local authority.

The report is here, I’d recommend using searching for the many “Quainton Rd“ paragraphs, there’s far too much to copy here but it’s clearly all sorted out. They quote the district council‘s responses in a few places.

Last edited:

Neen Sollars

Thanks for those great pics work-traveller and for the confirmation The Planner. Therefore the planning for an additional platform at Aylesbury Parkway indicates there will be freight and passenger trains using the Claydon Curve.
Eventually.

BrianW

Established Member
The TWA inspectors report and Secretary of State‘s response to it, ie the actual TWA Order, provide the necessary deemed planning permission, even for the listed structure matters. There‘s a separate application for listed building consent to the local authority.

The report is here, I’d recommend using searching for the many “Quainton Rd“ paragraphs, there’s far too much to copy here but it’s clearly all sorted out. They quote the district council‘s responses in a few places.
Thank you for the plan and this follow-up. I note the 25 references to 'Quainton' and 11 to 'Quainton Road'; and the repeated use of 'less than substantial harm'. The Inspector did his job and was supported in his views by AVDC, with conditions; it is now for the applicant to commence works in accordance with the approved plans within the five-year period of approval- which it seems they are doing.

It can be hoped that in the fullness of time the station may again be worthy of a train service. ;)

geoffk

Established Member
Thank you for the plan and this follow-up. I note the 25 references to 'Quainton' and 11 to 'Quainton Road'; and the repeated use of 'less than substantial harm'. The Inspector did his job and was supported in his views by AVDC, with conditions; it is now for the applicant to commence works in accordance with the approved plans within the five-year period of approval- which it seems they are doing.

It can be hoped that in the fullness of time the station may again be worthy of a train service. ;)
Surely it would make sense to stop at Quainton Road when the site is open - reduction in car traffic and all that. A fair number of visitors must arrive from Aylesbury and MK.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Surely it would make sense to stop at Quainton Road when the site is open - reduction in car traffic and all that. A fair number of visitors must arrive from Aylesbury and MK.
I expect a stop there will bust the single line section occupation.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So what would be the proposed service to Aylesbury and which stations would it be calling at?
It was going to be Aylesbury to Milton Keynes calling at just Aylesbury Vale Parkway, Winslow, Bletchley. With no extensions at either end, especially not to Marylebone. This had been officially dropped by DfT before the TWA Order application.

However EWR Co have since published a 2023 route update that doesn’t include the Aylesbury service at all.

12LDA28C

Established Member

The train service from Aylesbury which ran a few times a year on certain event days was knocked on the head a few years ago, due to not being cost effective I believe.

imagination

The train service from Aylesbury which ran a few times a year on certain event days was knocked on the head a few years ago, due to not being cost effective I believe.
It would presumably be somewhat more cost effective to stop a train that is going to run through the station anyway than it would be to run a train especially for the event though?

al green

It was going to be Aylesbury to Milton Keynes calling at just Aylesbury Vale Parkway, Winslow, Bletchley. With no extensions at either end, especially not to Marylebone. This had been officially dropped by DfT before the TWA Order application.

However EWR Co have since published a 2023 route update that doesn’t include the Aylesbury service at all.
On the instruction of DfT.