• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Yorkshire Motor Services, now part of Go-Ahead

Russel

Just seen East Yorkshire post on social media about a new 'Spurn Explorer' service, is this going to run to the end of Spurn point and what buses are planned to be used on this service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
Just seen East Yorkshire post on social media about a new 'Spurn Explorer' service, is this going to run to the end of Spurn point and what buses are planned to be used on this service?
It's the 71 service, so it will be a small E200 MMC. I'd be surprised if it runs all the way to the end of Spurn Point given the fact there is no road now

The bid for the electric buses was successful, EY will be getting 21 with Stagecoach getting 19.

Russel

It's the 71 service, so it will be a small E200 MMC. I'd be surprised if it runs all the way to the end of Spurn Point given the fact there is no road now

The bid for the electric buses was successful, EY will be getting 21 with Stagecoach getting 19.

Ah right, I read it went to the Spurn Discovery Centre so assumed that was at Spurn Point, shame I never got chance to do the old EYMS route, from memory they used Merc breadvans on it, didn't they?

Interesting to hear there is no longer a road, I drove it about 10 years ago and remember it being a bit sketchy in places.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Ah right, I read it went to the Spurn Discovery Centre so assumed that was at Spurn Point, shame I never got chance to do the old EYMS route, from memory they used Merc breadvans on it, didn't they?

Interesting to hear there is no longer a road, I drove it about 10 years ago and remember it being a bit sketchy in places.
The visitor centre is Spurn Point side of Kilnsea, you can get so far down by road but part of it collapsed a few years ago. I believe Merc breadvans were used on the service at one time

RM-Taylor

New branding "North Riding" for the newly acquired routes in and around York. If there’s no new vehicles being cascaded in then one would imagine some of the smaller Enviro 200 MMC vehicles will be allocated and rebranded

stevieinselby

New branding "North Riding" for the newly acquired routes in and around York. If there’s no new vehicles being cascaded in then one would imagine some of the smaller Enviro 200 MMC vehicles will be allocated and rebranded
The 81 can struggle with smaller buses at busy times – even the Versas can sometimes be fully loaded – so I hope that Go-ahead have planned for that and will have suitable sized vehicles.
The 29 and 31X are set to run into York along Bootham rather than Leeman Road, which suggests to me that they are going to be double-deckers – especially as it looks like both of them are timed around running school journeys.
By my reckoning, the new routes they're taking on under the North Riding brand (29, 31X, 80, 81, 82/83, 182) require 7 buses, plus the 2 they're already running on the 12. I'm not aware of any routes they are cutting back, so I expect these to either be new vehicles, or cascaded from routes getting new vehicles elsewhere. As they all serve York they will need to be Euro VI.

Seen short E200MMCs out on route learning for the past few weeks. Looked to be the YX17 NKX batch, so would imagine these will be for the 81/82/83/182. 29 (80) and 31X should be B9TLs I believe

trawler

The visitor centre is Spurn Point side of Kilnsea, you can get so far down by road but part of it collapsed a few years ago. I believe Merc breadvans were used on the service at one time
Yes, my old Spurn Ranger bus service run under my project Heritage Connections and Hidden Treasures. It was the sister service to the Driffield Dodger - two mercs (418 and 419). Each had their own bespoke vinyl (Chap in Hull I used and East Yorkshire's sign writer to fix).

Bwsbro

The 81 can struggle with smaller buses at busy times – even the Versas can sometimes be fully loaded – so I hope that Go-ahead have planned for that and will have suitable sized vehicles.
The 29 and 31X are set to run into York along Bootham rather than Leeman Road, which suggests to me that they are going to be double-deckers – especially as it looks like both of them are timed around running school journeys.
By my reckoning, the new routes they're taking on under the North Riding brand (29, 31X, 80, 81, 82/83, 182) require 7 buses, plus the 2 they're already running on the 12. I'm not aware of any routes they are cutting back, so I expect these to either be new vehicles, or cascaded from routes getting new vehicles elsewhere. As they all serve York they will need to be Euro VI.
Haven’t some of the e200s from Manchester been sent up to Hull? I'm sure these were upgraded to Euro 6 to allow other buses to be cascaded from Hull/Scarborough.

RM-Taylor

Looks like 276/7/8 are going to be "North Riding" branded and allocated to Pocklington

Edit - this is based on them losing the Scarborough sevens branding they’ve had since launch

Last edited:

JD2168

There is a Volvo B5LH Gemini 2 Hybrid at Scarborough from Go North East registered NK62 CLZ in full East Yorkshire livery.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
They've been doing that under Reliance. They already run college journeys to York College (usually as single deckers) and then empty to Station Avenue.

RM-Taylor

276 in North Riding branding

396 and 814 are also in North Riding branding. Vehicles 277 (question mark over this), 516/7/8 will also receive the branding over the forthcoming days

2 Gemini B9s (MX07 BSY and MX07 BTF) have transferred from GNW and will get numbers 712 and 713

815 has gone in to the new Coaster livery and will be for route 14 with branding

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Due to their speculative nature, posts concerning a potential competitive service between York and Selby have been moved to a separate thread:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Just looking on Twitter and Ben Gilligan, East Yorkshires MD, says about a 'base' in York. I have a feeling that they did used to have a bus based out at Transdevs Hospital Fields Road but looking at Google Maps, this place now looks locked up and no longer in use, does anyone know where the York base is?

Big day for the @EYBuses team today as we started operating our North Riding services bringing us to new places like Ripon, Knaresborough and Malton from our base in York. Great work by the team sorting route learning, comms and buses amongst many things!

Eyersey468

Established Member
Just looking on Twitter and Ben Gilligan, East Yorkshires MD, says about a 'base' in York. I have a feeling that they did used to have a bus based out at Transdevs Hospital Fields Road but looking at Google Maps, this place now looks locked up and no longer in use, does anyone know where the York base is?

I wasn't aware we had a base in York, unless Ben means they have set up a canteen or something for drivers. As far as I'm aware the services are running out of Pocklington depot

RM-Taylor

YX22 OHT and YX22 OHU have been purchased from Marchants Coaches and are now parked at Anlaby Road. Marchants did originally have 4 so it’s a question if EY have sourced them all.

815 in Coaster livery for service 14

Attachments

• IMG_5909.png
    IMG_5909.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5910.png
    IMG_5910.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5911.png
    IMG_5911.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5912.png
    IMG_5912.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
YX22 OHT and YX22 OHU have been purchased from Marchants Coaches and are now parked at Anlaby Road. Marchants did originally have 4 so it’s a question if EY have sourced them all.

As far as I know there are only the 2 coming

Russel

Why was 815 picked to be painted into Coaster livery when the rest of the Coaster fleet are Gemini 2's?

Trainman40083

Enviros will be 289/290, it would seem.

Go-Ahead have purchased all four e200s. Pulham have the other two.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I noticed yesterday that double deckers were being used on the North Riding 80. It felt a bit unnecessary given that there were 5 people on my outbound journey and 3 on the inbound (including myself in both cases). I understand why they need a double decker on the college services but not on a Saturday service. Any reason for this?

Eyersey468

Established Member
I noticed yesterday that double deckers were being used on the North Riding 80. It felt a bit unnecessary given that there were 5 people on my outbound journey and 3 on the inbound (including myself in both cases). I understand why they need a double decker on the college services but not on a Saturday service. Any reason for this?
Possibly all that was available on the day

Possibly all that was available on the day
No it’s what is allocated. The college runs on the 80 are run by an E200MMC, with the middle of the day runs done by a decker.

I believe this was because of a lack of enough single deckers initially? Might be resolved with these two new MMCs

Eyersey468

Established Member
No it’s what is allocated. The college runs on the 80 are run by an E200MMC, with the middle of the day runs done by a decker.

I believe this was because of a lack of enough single deckers initially? Might be resolved with these two new MMCs
That was what I was meaning, I know there has been a shortage of vehicles at times lately.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

Are the E200MMCs then allocated onto 81s? As the double deckers can't run down to Castle Howard with the low arches.