• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC onboard map

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
is 1Snn to Edinburgh and 1Enn south from Edinburgh a holdover from the days of regions or is it simply a coincidence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This is very good, will have to do some investigating... :D

At some point we're expecting that to turn into 1E27 then.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Sorry to be a pain, but what do you have to do to turn this on?
All I get on Explorer is the normal map, with train graphic showing speed and direction. Left/right mouse clicks don't seem to help.
Where are you folks seeing the headcode?

In passing, I've never understood the headcodes thing since the Regions were abolished by BR.
There is duplication between the various routes (eg A is used for London by EC/VT/FGW), and E, M, O, V, S etc refer to "interegional" trains to the old Regions which have long since been replaced by NR Routes.
You'd have thought by now there would be a unique way of identifying trains on the network...

MCR247

Established Member
I just open the map and it looks like this:

(Looks like I took to long to PrScr it and upload it!)

Attachments

• 1S18.png
    1S18.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 25

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Screenshot attached.
Maybe repeatedly refresh the page?
If that really doesn't work, try http://stationmaster.icomera.com/api/get_headcode_for_device_id/1113 :D

Yes got it now, after a few refreshes.
I did kill the URL and reload it, but Explorer must have been caching the old page...
Many thanks.

Now we won't have to work out where it's heading to northbound, although it will still be confusing southbound south of Doncaster (A from Leeds/York/Newark/Newcastle I think).
But nice to see. Every little helps!

MCR247

Established Member
For me it is now heading SB on 1E27, but it is still showing 1S18?

Also, looks like Newcastles SB are 1Yxx but they certainly used to be 1Axx?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
For me it is now heading SB on 1E27, but it is still showing 1S18?

Also, looks like Newcastles SB are 1Yxx but they certainly used to be 1Axx?

I think that's all correct. I don't know why it has/n't* changed...

*delete as appropriate :D

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
We seem to have been stuck south of Hare Park Jn for several hours (working 1A26 Leeds-King's Cross).
There don't seem to be any significant problems mentioned on NRES (although there were delays of 25min between Doncaster and Retford, now cleared).
Is this just a tracking glitch or are there real problems out there?

Update 1420: The graphic is still stuck at Hare Park, but the headcode has changed to 1B86. The "real" train is therefore probably working KGX-NNG?
Update 1750: And now back to Leeds on 1D26. In a couple of hours it will pass the point south of Wakefield where the graphic has been stuck most of the day!

Update 2225 December 24: Graphic still stuck at Hare Park Jn showing "5Z18 92.4mph southbound".
Evidently going to spend a lonely Christmas all by itself in the Rhubarb Triangle...
Ho Ho Ho!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

More strange diversions for our GPS unit.
After sitting stationary at Hare Park Jn south of Wakefield since 22 December, I was startled a few minutes ago to see it bombing eastwards along the Skipton-Shipley line sporting headcode 1S14.
It is now sitting in Neville Hill depot, but it got there in the unfeasibly short time of 5 minutes from Shipley!

I guess we are watching some kind of simulated signal for the software testers?
Anyone got a clue what is happening?

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Bradford.. :shock:

Looks like a sped up version of a recent day. I'm looking to see if I can work it out, hold on.
That looks to be exactly what they are doing. Goodness knows why, no idea which day this might have been. Probably wasn't even this set.

I would try and guess where it will go next, but the set ex-Bradford seems to go wherever it wants to on a weekday, so no idea. ...Newcastle?

The headcode can't be linked to the GPS feed (which is updating much more regularly with this sped up-ness...), so must be linked to the actual set. It'll probably change to 1E24 at some point. :)

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
And now sat at King's Cross (still 1S14).

Rocketing north on 1S14 as though someone has pressed the x10 button!
Just passed Peterborough.
Maybe it is simply replaying the feed of the past week since it got "stuck".
Now north of Grantham in the time it took to type this...

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Behold, possible real-time! Back towards Bounds Green on 5Y24.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Altogether more stately progress today, matching NRES.
Doing a round trip from King's Cross to Leeds, soutbound at Grantham just now on 1A22, 10 down.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Logo gone missing...
Our graphic is still churning up and down the ECML but in disembodied form.
The black steam engine logo has vanished (on IE9 at least).
So we get 4 lines of text (headcode, speed etc) but no focus point to tell us where the train actually is on the route.
Would the person who stole the logo please return it immediately...

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Hmmm. I can see the icon quite clearly, just above the letters 'Hea' of the word Headcode.
But this is from looking at a screen connected over the internet. I'm not travelling on EC today taking the feed from the ob-board GPS. But I can't see that would make any difference.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes it's back now after a lot of refreshes.
The map drawing after loading is very slow and the web site does not feel quite right somehow. Have to keep an eye on it.
Nice to use it in parallel with the WTT info given here: http://www.opentraintimes.com/search/advanced
Currently working an odd train 1F22, not corresponding to anything in the WTT or on NRES.
Maybe something linked to today's ECML disruption?
Now approaching Berwick northbound.
Anyone know what this train is?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1F22 would be the 1540 Newark Northgate to Edinburgh calling at Retford, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed.

TP

Eagle

Established Member
Currently working an odd train 1F22, not corresponding to anything in the WTT or on NRES.
Maybe something linked to today's ECML disruption?
Now approaching Berwick northbound.
Anyone know what this train is?

1F22 is Newark to Edinburgh (calling at Retford, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Newcastle and Berwick). I know there's a couple of weird services been spotted on the WCML too, so I guess this is related to the disruption as well.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
1F22 is Newark to Edinburgh (calling at Retford, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Newcastle and Berwick). I know there's a couple of weird services been spotted on the WCML too, so I guess this is related to the disruption as well.

Yes, it's now showing 5S22 at Craigentinny, so maybe it was a truncated service from Newark using the path of 1S22 (1500 KGX-EDB).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Our tame 225 set is breaking new ground today (for me anyway).
Has just past Pyewipe Jn on the Joint line at Lincoln, heading north to Gainsborough/Doncaster on 1D17 to Leeds.
Started the day working the early GLC-KGX.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It just did the same manoeuvre on the way back. I agree that it's one we probably haven't had before.

dbrb2

Network Rail have announced that some time in April they are going to release a whole hunk of realtime and other info, from TRUST and other sources, to the public - including which signalling block any given train is in, and what the relationship between a given block is to real world geographic coordinates. I believe fare information and timetables will also be available...

I'm not sure of the details, or of exactly what will be available when, but it sounds like it could be fun...I'm sure myself and many others will get to work on it pretty soon after it is available :)

Ben

marks87

Established Member
Surely not "any" train?

I can think of at least two where releasing such information would be a significant security risk.

dbrb2

re my source, I received the below from network
rail customer services in response to a query:

We are indeed working to make a range of data feeds freely available by the end of April this year. In no particular order those feeds will cover:

1. Data on the position of trains, using signalling and track circuit data
2. A variety of train reporting data –contained in our TRUST database, this includes train movements, activation, cancellation and delay mi
3. Data tables for translating position on network to geographical location
4. The published timetable
5. Where it’s available, very short-term planning information, and
6. Real time public performance information.

The first two categories of data will be available in XML format, the third will be in FTP and the fourth in CIF.
"

crosscity

Currently being tracked is 1N34 2100 KX-Newcastle, travelling at 106.7mph and just coming up to Retford (tt to pass at 2222) so is bang on time. Fascinating!

I've just tracked this to York and compared the arrival time with the EC website realtime data and it completely agrees (it was 8 minutes early into York). On seeing it leave York, I immediately flicked over to the NR Departure Boards and sure enough it was on its way there too. I initially thought it was a simulation, but now I'm convinced.

Last edited:

Karl

On Moderation
Currently 5D26 after working 1D26 KGX-LDS earlier and looks like it's heading for Skipton? This is the first time I've seen our set on this route.

*EDIT* - The set arrived at Skipton and now about 10 minutes later is back on it's way to Leeds again? What would the point of this move have been?

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Currently 5D26 after working 1D26 KGX-LDS earlier and looks like it's heading for Skipton? This is the first time I've seen our set on this route.

*EDIT* - The set arrived at Skipton and now about 10 minutes later is back on it's way to Leeds again? What would the point of this move have been?

Yes I followed this intermittently as 1D26 from KGX to Skipton (it previously did a KGX-NNG terminator but was turned round at Grantham because of the disruption yesterday).
It was showing 5D26 before it got to Leeds I think about an hour late, but then set off for Skipton on its usual 1D26 path, and then back to Neville Hill ECS.

I think maybe the headcode shown on the graphic might be linked to the time of day (ie by the time we picked it up near Leeds it should by then have got to Skipton and be ECS back to NH).
I've noticed similar oddities approaching KGX.
Just my 5p.

Status
Not open for further replies.