• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML South disruption - OLE down 09/12

johntea

Established Member
One of my work colleagues apparently got from Kings Cross to Peterborough then a taxi to Doncaster laid on for them by LNER

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sounds like I got away quite lightly just booking on a coach last minute, thankfully before they all sold out. When I need to be at Heathrow next month I don't think I'll risk the ECML, sadly

jonf14

What is going on at Grantham? According to National Rail: Additionally, emergency services are attending an incident at Grantham station, currently there is no estimate for when the station will reopen

ModernRailways

Established Member
What is going on at Grantham? According to National Rail: Additionally, emergency services are attending an incident at Grantham station, currently there is no estimate for when the station will reopen
Overcrowding and staff being assaulted. Station closed until further notice. Police attending to deal with it.

Not sure how many staff have been assaulted but from what I have just read internally it isn't just one. Nobody should be assaulted at work, but LNER are sending trains to GRA full and standing with no alternative capacity to move them onwards quickly.

Last edited:
Why do these cables keep coming down, does anyone know? Cost cutting maybe, shoddy work?

Looking back through history steam seemed more reliable!

Class 170101

Established Member
Platform 3 at Grantham only takes 3 cars max. It also has an operating restriction on it so it isn't normally used anymore, though does see occasional use.
Well 2S29 will either be using it or waiting outside clear of 1E16. EDIT 2S29 using Platform 3
Platform 4 needs to be kept clear for the Nottingham and Skegness trains.
Which hasn't been done :oops:

Adrian1980uk

Overcrowding and staff being assaulted. Station closed until further notice. Police attending to deal with it.

Not sure how many staff have been assaulted but from what I have just read internally it isn't just one. Nobody should be assaulted at work, but LNER are sending trains to GRA full and standing with no alternative capacity to move them onwards quickly.
That's the answer here, whatevers happened the answer is to move passengers as quickly as possible to prevent further incidents, hopefully most of the LNER tonight are 10car

londonmidland

Established Member
It’s exceptionally gusty out here tonight in the East Midlands, with gusts of up to 50mph.

Let’s hope there are no more downed trees making contact with the OLE. Particularly so in the many flat and relatively open areas of the ECML…

MontyP

It’s exceptionally gusty out here tonight in the East Midlands, with gusts of up to 50mph.

Let’s hope there are no more downed trees making contact with the OLE. Particularly so in the many flat and relatively open areas of the ECML…
That isn't exceptional. There must be 10s of days each year with gusty winds at that level.

Established Member
The delay is currently attributed to "disorder".
1G50 was held south of Grantham awaiting the OHL to be switched back on, there was a delay in getting it turned back on. No disorder.

Also to who ever said staff at Grantham were assaulted, no staff were assaulted, or if they have there was no reported to there managers/control regards it.

1E16 was held north of Grantham awaiting the volume of customers to go down, 1G50 initially scheduled to depart 1800, but network delayed hardback.

MadMac

I suspect injecting a large number of PO’d and/or PU’d Geordies into the mix probably didn’t help matters…..

Darandio

Established Member
I suspect injecting a large number of PO’d and/or PU’d Geordies into the mix probably didn’t help matters…..

To be fair and in terms of the Grantham situation, at that time they would still be in the stadium or heading to Kings Cross.

skyhigh

Established Member
1G50 was held south of Grantham awaiting the OHL to be switched back on, there was a delay in getting it turned back on. No disorder.
Fair enough, it was initially coded as VA/disorder though.

Explained Delays​

ExtentLocationDelay Codes
35 minsGTHMVA DISORDER (84981)
37 minsGTHM - SOKEJNVA DISORDER (84981)

Established Member
Fair enough, it was initially coded as VA/disorder though.
1E16 miscommunication from signaller stating self evacuation at Grantham north junction.
It was in fact a pass con activated, but had to be treat as a self evacuating train until proved otherwise.

No

35B

Established Member
To be fair and in terms of the Grantham situation, at that time they would still be in the stadium or heading to Kings Cross.
Having been at the station briefly this afternoon to collect a ticket, I can believe that there were Newcastle fans heading south.

Sly Old Fox

It’s so sad just how unreliable the railways are these days. I know there have always been ‘bad days’ but they’re an awful lot more frequent now than they were before.

If you don’t find the railway properly, this is the result. Might as well just shut the lot, at least people would be able to make plans then.

dk1

Veteran Member
It’s so sad just how unreliable the railways are these days. I know there have always been ‘bad days’ but they’re an awful lot more frequent now than they were before.

If you don’t find the railway properly, this is the result. Might as well just shut the lot, at least people would be able to make plans then.

Were they less frequent years ago or is it just that we are all far to privy to everything every second of what’s happening nowadays?

Social media and the ability to keep up to date & reply are just so prevalent in a way never imaginable before.

Sly Old Fox

Were they less frequent years ago or is it just that we are all far to privy to everything every second of what’s happening nowadays?

I’ve been driving for quite a long time now, and I’ve never known as many failures of the infrastructure as there are these days. Network Rail are clearly unable to maintain it to an acceptable standard.

dk1

Veteran Member
I’ve been driving for quite a long time now, and I’ve never known as many failures of the infrastructure as there are these days. Network Rail are clearly unable to maintain it to an acceptable standard.

I see where you are coming from but in my 39 years (25 driving) I couldn’t say how much is better or worse. Every year has varied so much.