• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh <> Glasgow ...?

Edinburgh to Aberdeen: which route would you choose ?

• Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Falkirk High

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Shotts

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Glasgow - Edinburgh - Aberdeen line

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Glasgow - Edinburgh - Inverness & The North Highlands line

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

POLL ABOVE: EDINBURGH TO GLASGOW, not Edinburgh to Aberdeen !!!

Hi everyone :)

This summer, during my "2.0 UK Summer Holidays" ( :D ) I will travel by train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and back.
I was wondering what would be the best route to travel:

► Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Falkirk High
► Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Shotts
► Glasgow - Edinburgh - Aberdeen line
► Glasgow - Edinburgh - Inverness & The North Highlands line

Criterias: Time, Scenery, Speed, Rolling Stock, Price, Time(table(s))

Thanks !

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Hi everyone :)

This summer, during my "2.0 UK Summer Holidays" ( :D ) I will travel by train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and back.
I was wondering what would be the best route to travel:

► Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Falkirk High
► Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Shotts
► Glasgow - Edinburgh - Aberdeen line
► Glasgow - Edinburgh - Inverness & The North Highlands line

Criterias: Time, Scenery, Speed, Rolling Stock, Price, Time(table(s))

Thanks !

Via Falkirk High would be tops for time and frequency, but bottom for scenery! (Middling for rolling stock and price.)

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
Via Shotts would be tops for price and rolling stock (if you like HST's or First Class on a Voyager), but I don't know about scenery because as of yet I haven't taken this route! Frequency is also poor.
ScotRail services are two per hour
(Cross Country) HSTs and Voyagers tend to go via Carstairs, as they need to serve Motherwell

T163R

Via Falkirk High would be tops for time and frequency, but bottom for scenery! (Middling for rolling stock and price.)

Via Shotts would be tops for price and rolling stock (if you like HST's or First Class on a Voyager), but I don't know about scenery because as of yet I haven't taken this route! Frequency is also poor.

Bold: what do you mean by "bottom" ?

WestCoast

Established Member
I mean that the scenery is terrible, particularly when you pass through the frankly awful council housing estates on the outskirts out Edinburgh and Glasgow!

There's not that much of that type of scenery in the Edinburgh Area! A little, but nothing worse than anywhere else.

All Line Rover

Established Member
There's not that much of that type of scenery in the Edinburgh Area! A little, but nothing worse than anywhere else.

There isn't much, but you pass right through it on the Falkirk line! (And on the way to the shopping centre.)

me123

Established Member
I wouldn't say that any route stands out for scenery. All the routes have their good points and bad points.

The fastest and most frequent is certainly the Falkirk route. The Turbos are really comfortable, fast, and you only stop 3-4 times en route.

The A-B is quite nice, will be quiet, and you have the 334s (which are comfortable if you avoid the middle coach). The fast A-B services are not much slower than the Falkirk ones. However you do have to crawl through the East End of Glasgow which is... certainly something. The North Clyde Line can be accurately described as being a bit like a nuclear wasteland...

Via Shotts is rather unremarkable in my mind. I've always found the local services rather soul-destroying, so I would definitely recommend the 1tph that goes fast (Haymarket, Livingston South, West Calder, Shotts, Bellshill). It's almost exclusively 156s now. You do get the lovely Wester Hailes area on this route, though, which isn't very nice. Same goes for the Carstairs route.

Via Carstairs is a good route. I've always liked going through the very tight junction at Carstairs, and there are some nice views to be had that way. The big issue with that route is definitely the frequency (or lack thereof).

For price, all the routes are the same price. There are some CrossCountry only tickets valid (oddly enough) only on CrossCountry services which are very good value, but you are restricted to the two-hourly service (despite there being 10-11tph between the cities). If you can guarantee that you'll be able to get the Cross Country services, then it may be a good deal. If not, you'll find yourself very restricted. I would recommend getting an Off Peak Day Return which allows travel on all routes, and is reasonable value at £11.40 (no railcards). Aside from the CrossCountry Only tickets, there are no route-specific fares on that run.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'm presuming you mean The Gyle or Hermiston Gait near Edinburgh Park. Meh, seen a lot worse..:D

It's one of the worst I've seen - although I'll probably see worse in the future in Glasgow! :lol: (Some parts of Glasgow really do look atrocious on Google Street-view.)

Where I live council houses are practically non existent!

WestCoast

Established Member
It's one of the worst I've seen - although I'll probably see worse in the future in Glasgow! :lol: (Some parts of Glasgow really do look atrocious on Google Street-view.)

Edinburgh is tame: for example Manchester, Glasgow and London have railway lines in close proximity to much worse surroundings. Take a trip to Hattersley Station (Manchester) or some of the East London DLR stops.

In some areas, they are the only choice. The look of the housing doesn't make an area "rough" - at least high rises (which I find the worst) are not present in large numbers.

For price, all the routes are the same price. There are some CrossCountry only tickets valid (oddly enough) only on CrossCountry services which are very good value, but you are restricted to the two-hourly service (despite there being 10-11tph between the cities). If you can guarantee that you'll be able to get the Cross Country services, then it may be a good deal. If not, you'll find yourself very restricted. I would recommend getting an Off Peak Day Return which allows travel on all routes, and is reasonable value at £11.40 (no railcards). Aside from the CrossCountry Only tickets, there are no route-specific fares on that run.

The CrossCountry fares are on the route are almost too cheap! Great value if you can get a HST, I must say

scotsman

Established Member

Head out to Garrowhill, where my Dad grew up. Don't bother with a camera.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Edinburgh is tame: for example Manchester, Glasgow and London have railway lines in close proximity to much worse surroundings. Take a trip to Hattersley Station (Manchester) or some of the East London DLR stops.

Whenever I tell people about London being a lovely place, I try to forget about East London! :lol: When we went to the Travelodge in Barking last year (NEVER again - Croydon and Waterloo are much nicer), it was like some faraway country. We were the only white people on the street! There was litter everywhere; some people were even arguing openly - we made sure that we were back by dark!

In my opinion East London is where the majority of jobless foreign people are sent, but that's another matter... It's a horrible place anyway!

In some areas, they are the only choice. The look of the housing doesn't make an area "rough" - at least high rises (which I find the worst) are not present in large numbers.

In my opinion you should:
  • a. Get a job (and don't be fussy about it!)
  • b. Go and buy a house

Not everyone can realistically do that though.

If an area looks terrible, my opinion of that area is immediately lowered. One area a few miles away from here had terrible - absolutely terrible - roads, with potholes everywhere, etc.. The area didn't "feel" that nice (although it wasn't so bad that you feared being shot at night!). A few months ago the council completely resurfaced the entire road network, and it now looks like a lovely area!

Some council estates "near" here (within 20 miles) are very nice, but only because the council maintain them well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The CrossCountry fares are on the route are almost too cheap! Great value if you can get a HST, I must say

£9 First Class RETURN! :o

Liam

Established Member
The Falkirk High route is quite scenic. In particular the bit between Croy and Greenhill, to the North you get a great view of the Campsies and the Trossachs.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I mean that the scenery is terrible, particularly when you pass through the frankly awful council housing estates on the outskirts out Edinburgh and Glasgow!
Eh?
Where do some of the posts on this forum come from? Not from any infomed, experienced or qualified sources, I'll guess.

I'm a great critic of Scottish public-sector housing in the 1960's but in terms of railway views, history, and other interest, then the curiosities visible from all 4 of the E-G lines are enough to sustain an interesting and on-going fascination for many many journeys in the future.
What about the attempts to have the shale bings included as a world-heritage site; What about the views of the forth bridges and the old wooden radar pylons and stone tower on Corstophine Hill; the recent story of Tesco Bank (Haymarket); the inexplicable blue lupins along the trackside at Falkirk; the madness of the double neutral-section in the OHLE at Carstairs and the disturbing history of Scottish asylums; the last chance to enjoy the colourful scenes of some of the 60's high rises in Glasgow before they come down forever . . . . ?

I can't be bothered to go on - if someone doesn't read, look and listen to learn, then their advice will be . . . . . . .

[answers to All Line Rover, please]

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

XC and EC run via Carstairs, not Shotts; that is served by SR hourly fasts and hourly stoppers between Central and Waverley.

Edinburgh isn't that bad for council houses, Glasgow is OK, but of course don't mention East Glasgow, home of the Enemy and one of the most deprived areas in Europe - no wonder Celtic play there!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is the scenery good on the Falkirk route ?

Neither of the four routes is anything special, they are all just standard fields in between two urban areas... Falkirk is probably best, Bathgate is brand new, Shotts is the quietest, and Carstairs hasn't got that good a service.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So I suppose I'll have to forget the scenery criteria... :D

Anything outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh city areas (and in between) is quite scenic, the ECML / WCML to the English Border are both fantastic...

All Line Rover

Established Member
Eh?
Where do some of the posts on this forum come from? Not from any infomed, experienced or qualified sources, I'll guess.

I'm a great critic of Scottish public-sector housing in the 1960's but in terms of railway views, history, and other interest, then the curiosities visible from all 4 of the E-G lines are enough to sustain an interesting and on-going fascination for many many journeys in the future.
What about the attempts to have the shale bings included as a world-heritage site; What about the views of the forth bridges and the old wooden radar pylons and stone tower on Corstophine Hill; the recent story of Tesco Bank (Haymarket); the inexplicable blue lupins along the trackside at Falkirk; the madness of the double neutral-section in the OHLE at Carstairs and the disturbing history of Scottish asylums; the last chance to enjoy the colourful scenes of some of the 60's high rises in Glasgow before they come down forever . . . . ?

I can't be bothered to go on - if someone doesn't read, look and listen to learn, then their advice will be . . . . . . .

[answers to All Line Rover, please]

I've traveled on the Falkirk line 5 times, and the scenery is frankly awful. What scenery!?

Nice scenery (on the lines I've traveled on) is the WCML to Glasgow and Edinburgh, the ECML between York and Edinburgh, and even the WCML up until Milton Keynes and the ECML up until Peterborough. Some of the Transpennine routes aren't bad either.

Oh and "colorful scenes?" :lol: "Tear them down" is what I say! The same applies to Birmingham library!
Anything outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh city areas (and in between) is quite scenic, the ECML / WCML to the English Border are both fantastic...

There are lot's of nice places in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (which includes Scotland). Just not some of the outskirts of Edinburgh and Glasgow! (And probably many other areas.) :D

Last edited:

Established Member
Edinburgh isn't that bad for council houses

It's not too bad.
Around where I am, bits of Pilton are rather dodgy, and I'd advise avoiding Drylaw :lol:
I've traveled on the Falkirk line 5 times, and the scenery is frankly awful. What scenery!?

Have you been doing the bit between Edinburgh and Falkirk with your eyes shut?
Since February, I've done Edinburgh - Stirling, which shares the section between Edinburgh and Polmont Junction, at least 35 times, and I still enjoy the scenery, especially the section on the viaduct between Edinburgh Park and Linlithgow.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Oh and "colorful scenes?" :lol: "Tear them down" is what I say!
Yes, do your reasearch before posting, please!
They are now in an advanced state of demolition. I've made a few trips to Glasgow over the past year purely to appreciate the glory of the Red Road towers before they disappeared forever.
Glasgow has a lot of disappearing heritage to appreciate, much of it visible from mailines (the Colliseum and Greek's Caledonia Church) but the colour of Red Road should be appreciated as a national asset before its gone forever - and it soon will be.

Please post from an informed position; uninformed opinions are easy - informed opinion might still be wrong, but the work involved in researching a post can be rewarding in itself.

377Southern

Plus do not forget however there is another route, the Edinburgh - Helensburgh via Airdrie and Glasgow Queen Street line.

This line may be the longest but is very interesting and provides great scenery sections between Edinburgh - Airdrie. Normally class 334 units on this route however it has been know for a couple of class 320's to use it too.

me123

Established Member
Hmm... one of the more bizarre polls I've seen on here... :|

Plus do not forget however there is another route, the Edinburgh - Helensburgh via Airdrie and Glasgow Queen Street line.

This line may be the longest but is very interesting and provides great scenery sections between Edinburgh - Airdrie. Normally class 334 units on this route however it has been know for a couple of class 320's to use it too.

Where to start...

The A-B route is the shortest direct route between the two cities. In terms of time, it's shorter than the Shotts route. 320s are not authorised to travel on the line in passenger service, and service is currently provided solely using Class 334 trains.

I would agree that the scenery is nice East of Airdrie (I particularly love Hillend Loch travelling Eastbound), but to get there you have to pass through Bellgrove, Shettleston, and Easterhouse...

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm a bit confused by the snobbery about the western side of Edinburgh. Especially as I see it the Falkirk line doesn't go through anywhere that rough (take the 14 bus from Niddrie to Muidhouse through Granton and then tell me that Broomhouse and the western suburbs are rough...)

scotsman

Established Member
I don't like the term "rough" - the housing estate 200m from my school is far and away Fife's most notorious and is described as "rough", yet is mainly inhabited by people who have had no other choice but to go there or be homeless. (Granted, Shad's Superstore is distinctly dodgy and I feel the wide array of bongs and other "ornamental" drug paraphernalia they sell are probably sold intended for the purpose they were made for...)

Status
Not open for further replies.