• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh <> Glasgow ...?

Edinburgh to Aberdeen: which route would you choose ?

• Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Falkirk High

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Edinburgh <> Glasgow via Shotts

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Glasgow - Edinburgh - Aberdeen line

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Glasgow - Edinburgh - Inverness & The North Highlands line

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rail-britain

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulLothian

Edinburgh - Falkirk Grahamston - Cumbernauld - Glasgow QS

Quite reasonable scenery until Cumbernauld, but after that... May be my own fault, because I now realise that I have never done this route except during the winter, when the scenery can only be described as dreich.

SteveP29

Sorry, I'm throwing this thread off topic again but....

Someone who is an alcoholic, though, is unlikely to have (or keep) a good job, which means that they're unlikely to be able to afford their own house.

Now you are showing the lack of understanding of what being an alcoholic actually entails.
Just because someone is an alcoholic, it doesn't mean that they necessarily spend every waking hour of every day drinking. It doesn't mean that they cannot hold down a job

I have had the pleasure of working with someone who eventually admitted to his alcoholism, during the day he would turn up at work a little ropey, but after 2 cups of coffee in quick succession, he was like normal. His dietary habits were questionable, but that's got nothing to do with the way he conducted himself at work, he was always professional and in fact, a pleasure to work with, just once he got home, he reached immediately for a drink.
He left the company 8 years ago, but is still going strong and still in the job he left us for. This is the typical example, not an exception.

Also, bear in mind, that just because somebody is an alcoholic, it doesn't mean that they drink constantly, the very addiction to alcohol is based on the need for alcohol, not the quantity of alcohol, therefore, some alcoholics may rely on only one or two drinks per day, rather than 6-10 pints or bottles of spirit, but that need/ addiction is still there.

Bear in mind famous alcoholics, as already stated, Winston Churchill, how about 2 US presidents in Ulysees S Grant and George W Bush, do you think they were deficient in their jobs?
You may point to the fact that Bush was a recovering/ recovered akcoholic when he was elected President, but he still had a career as a senator prior to this, any perceived inability to do the job by the public would have lead to him never being anywhere near receiving the Republican nomination for the 2000 election.

I note from your profile that your occupation reads school, I would hazard at that meaning you are a pupil not a teacher. I would therefore suggest that you throw off your preconceptions about the subjects you've talked about on this thread, as you'll find that as you get older and move into the world of work, those very misconceptions are more likely to hinder your progress through life

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Also bear in mind that drug addiction is far, far more spread across society than you may realise. Just like drugs in general. There is an element of it on the street, but still an element behind closed doors all over the place.

Anyhoo, as there are four routes between Edinburgh and Glasgow, perhaps you could find a way to do all four in two return trips? :D :D

Liam

Established Member
no chance!

Thought as much :( The return working is from the high level platforms. How cool would it be to see a HST at Queen Street or Central Low Levels? I presume the 0624 SX runs via the suburban line, i.e no Haymarket stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.