• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elizabeth line reliability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annetts key

Established Member
This problem appears to be interference on both datalinks that serve part if the area.
Last night, as I understand it sixteen points were clipped.

With computer based signalling systems, the main computers (the interlocking) are located in the signalling centre. Trackside Functional Modules or TFM) located in lineside cupboards control the signals, points, plus receive information from the track circuits or axle counters. The interlocking uses the datalinks to communicate with the TFMs.

If communication fails, all the relevant signals and points have to be considered as defective.

The system is designed with two datalinks for system redundancy. In an idea world, if one datalink fails, everything continues working using the remaining “good” datalink.

However, in practice, some failure modes affect both datalinks. When this happens, the signaller looses control of hundreds of items of signalling equipment.

There is no work around for this apart from clipping points and talking past red signals. Or introducing long block manual working (where drivers are instructed to pass multiple signals in one instruction).

Unfortunately, when the problem is interference on both datalinks, it is very difficult to track down the cause. A process of elimination has to be done, with the techs visiting every single location cupboard where the datalinks visit.

As the railway reduces the number of staff and resources, should a failure like the above occur, it takes longer to locate the problem and to try to implement manual signalling. For example, it’s not uncommon for the staff on the ground to find that they don’t have enough point clips to secure all the points.

Lack of staff, staff running out of shift time, lack of spares all add to the problems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This problem appears to be interference on both datalinks that serve part if the area.
Last night, as I understand it sixteen points were clipped.

With computer based signalling systems, the main computers (the interlocking) are located in the signalling centre. Trackside Functional Modules or TFM) located in lineside cupboards control the signals, points, plus receive information from the track circuits or axle counters. The interlocking uses the datalinks to communicate with the TFMs.

If communication fails, all the relevant signals and points have to be considered as defective.

The system is designed with two datalinks for system redundancy. In an idea world, if one datalink fails, everything continues working using the remaining “good” datalink.

However, in practice, some failure modes affect both datalinks. When this happens, the signaller looses control of hundreds of items of signalling equipment.

There is no work around for this apart from clipping points and talking past red signals. Or introducing long block manual working (where drivers are instructed to pass multiple signals in one instruction).

Unfortunately, when the problem is interference on both datalinks, it is very difficult to track down the cause. A process of elimination has to be done, with the techs visiting every single location cupboard where the datalinks visit.

As the railway reduces the number of staff and resources, should a failure like the above occur, it takes longer to locate the problem and to try to implement manual signalling. For example, it’s not uncommon for the staff on the ground to find that they don’t have enough point clips to secure all the points.

Lack of staff, staff running out of shift time, lack of spares all add to the problems.

Very informative. Reports are teams are getting dozens if not hundreds of error messages and have been since yesterday afternoon. As you say, it’s incredibly time consuming to resolve.

I wouldn’t be surprised if disruption continues until the end of the day.

Annetts key

Established Member
The other thing to note is that until the cause of the datalink problem is found, any estimates of a return to normal availability of the infrastructure are just guesses.

t_packer

Passenger info still pretty poor on the Lizzie this morning! Some West services cancelled and everything running to Paddington mainline, but West Drayton had a “quote of the day” on the whiteboard rather than disruption info…

PIS on my train is also still announcing Abbey Wood, and the TfL service status says nothing about the Liz using Paddington mainline.

It sounds like engineers are working flat out to solve this really complex issue - but it doesn’t feel like this is being communicated to passengers. Even our driver mentioned no more than “ongoing issues”.

setdown

Managed to get to Paddington at about 9am to continue my journey eastwards on the core.

Obviously with everything else going on, the train thought it’d be great fun to have a door fault. The incident response engineer couldn’t get it to close, as if there was something physical blocking the mechanism. The door open chime sounded like it was having a heart attack.

Eventually the decision was made to cancel the train and get everyone off. About 10 seconds after everyone got off, that door specifically closed automatically, and politely locked itself out of use. The engineer was very surprised. The train then continued out of service regardless. Good to see software have a sense of humour!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I opted to get from Paddington to Euston via the traditional tube route this morning-god knows what the Liz line would have been like if the tube strike had still been on!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I opted to get from Paddington to Euston via the traditional tube route this morning-god knows what the Liz line would have been like if the tube strike had still been on!

Probably serious crowd control but the buses & all alternatives would be overloaded already. I shudder to think although that could WFH probably would!

SECR263

Has TFL made any commemts officially yet? On 1038 now to T4, but no comments re this problem at PADD mainline. No announcements at Faringdon today re service disruption. At least the driver at Padd said go to mainline to see if onward services available which was good.

matt_world2004

Established Member
On Tuesday 25th July at 1:45am GwR requested ticket acceptance on London Buses described as being due to a signal failure in the Ladbroke Grove area . Would this have been the same problem ? I know the signal failure didn't happen in the Ladbroke Grove area but from experience, the geographic area when describing an incident for ticket acceptance can be rather broad.

Annetts key

Established Member
On Tuesday 25th July at 1:45am GwR requested ticket acceptance on London Buses described as being due to a signal failure in the Ladbroke Grove area . Would this have been the same problem ? I know the signal failure didn't happen in the Ladbroke Grove area but from experience, the geographic area when describing an incident for ticket acceptance can be rather broad.
Yes. This problem is across an area, not at one spot.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Chaos reigns again at Paddington.
All Elizabeth Line trains from the east still terminating at the low-level platforms.
Upstairs, the departure boards as of 11:04 were showing a Reading EL service at 11:17 with ‘please wait’. The time came and went; the train disappeared off the boards with no explanation and no opportunity to board (if it ran at all).
Next EL train was shown as the 11:47 with a ‘please wait’ tag.
Realtime Trains was no help, either.

Finally, at about 11:22, an announcement was made saying a Heathrow Terminal 5 train would be leaving from Platform 12 (near to which I had been waiting). I’d estimate people were given about 3 minutes before the doors closed and we departed. So no chance for people waiting over the other side of the concourse!!
Now typing this as we are sat at a red signal not far beyond where the underground lines peel off towards Hammersmith.
So not impressed with this.
Couldn’t see any GWR services making additional stops anywhere before Slough, either…
UPDATE: making very slow progress. Lots of signal stops

Last edited:

Samzino

Established Member
So the 10am repair shout was as I expected not happening. Expecting day 2 to end like day 1.

Last edited:

Jamiescott1

So the 10am repair shout was as I expected not happening. Expecting day 2 to end like day 1.
Its getting worse. All didcot stoppers now cancelled and only EL services every 30 minutes for intermediate stations to maidenhead.

Journey planner saying Paddington to marlow next services are 1418 and 1650. Nothing in between

Samzino

Established Member
Its getting worse. All didcot stoppers now cancelled and only EL services every 30 minutes for intermediate stations to maidenhead.

Journey planner saying Paddington to marlow next services are 1418 and 1650. Nothing in between
Welp can only imagine the mess in 3hrs and 30mins when evening peak begins

ChewChewTrain

I know this is probably what you meant anyway, but just to clarify that the Didcots are still running from Reading. Fairly standard when there’s disruption or a strike.

It wasn’t too bad getting from Paddington to Goring just now (with a change), but I do feel for those who’ll be trying to get to stations between Acton and Twyford in a few hours.

t_packer

Yeah we’re still on the emergency timetable coming up to the evening peak, which itself is still being subject to delays. GWR comms good as far as I can tell but information from TfL pretty poor. Drivers giving limited information (and no apologies!), and barely any information on TfL channels besides “severe delays”.

Totally understand the complexity of the signalling issue, but I think it’s been the lack of communication letting down the Liz these past two days.

Acton1991

Peak looks like it's going to be a mess. Do we reckon this will head into a third day?
Very strange that there have been no emails or social media updates from TfL to explain the situation in further detail and what is being done to help rectify.

t_packer

Peak looks like it's going to be a mess. Do we reckon this will head into a third day?
Very strange that there have been no emails or social media updates from TfL to explain the situation in further detail and what is being done to help rectify.
This from Network Rail is really informative https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1684215899295809538?s=46&t=0eD2f57GNzZU6XDIdukAug

But you’re right that nowhere near this level of detail or acknowledgement is being conveyed to the average Liz passenger.

JN114

Established Member
There are some encouraging noises coming from teams on site that restoration of normal working is imminent; however displaced unit and crew situation will still take time to unravel.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yesterday on both occasions there were no trains on the boards at Paddington to Heathrow AT ALL. Not one. Just the next HEx shown as cancelled.

That’s interesting I was at Paddington HL yesterday, briefly, and saw an EL train arrive and depart.

As of 1745 normal working has resumed, obviously it will take a lot of time for things to get back to a full timetable

Acton1991

setdown

As of 1745 normal working has resumed, obviously it will take a lot of time for things to get back to a full timetable
It’ll be nice if someone told the staff on the Elizabeth line platforms at Paddington, telling people to leave the platforms even though a through service to Heathrow was leaving a minute later

Samzino

Established Member
9T21 I see from Shenfield is making its way out of the COS soon towards Heathrow T5. No resume of thru running tho it seems from ABW atm but that may change by 7pm. Alas the saga is reaching a fine conclusion.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I would expect with what looks like a reliable Paddington - Abbey Wood shuttle and departures from the mainline station now leaving on-time (albeit reduced) that the current method of working would be kept in place until the end of service. Once you’ve reliable put plans in place and realised drivers, undoing it can cause even more problems.

Samzino

Established Member
I would expect with what looks like a reliable Paddington - Abbey Wood shuttle and departures from the mainline station now leaving on-time (albeit reduced) that the current method of working would be kept in place until the end of service. Once you’ve reliable put plans in place and realised drivers, undoing it can cause even more problems.
Indeed, Shenfield I expect will run the Heathrow thru trains for now. Good thing is 9T21 passed thru COS without any issues ontime.
9U19 is going to from what I know attempt aswell to go thru the COS hauling a service from Terminal 4 to Abbey Wood.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Indeed, Shenfield I expect will run the Heathrow thru trains for now. Good thing is 9T21 passed thru COS without any issues ontime.
9U19 is going to from what I know attempt aswell to go thru the COS hauling a service from Terminal 4 to Abbey Wood.

Yes that will be a plus at least as will what appears to be an increased service at GEML stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.