• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
170638 allocated to 1051 Liverpool-Norwich and 1656 Norwich-Manchester return.

Another visit to Liverpool and, assuming it isn't swapped out at Nottingham, its first visit with EMR to Norwich.

Speedbird96

That would be better. I think it was 3 car 170s back in Central Trains days? Can't remember what they were like for loading
Towards the tail end of Central Trains franchise in 2007, Norwich - Liverpool was one of the 4 Citylink services that would either see Class 158s and/or Class 170s diagrammed , and could have been either 2 or 3 cars.
3-cars actually did well for capacity but even before EMT took over, 2-cars was woefully inadequate and any delay or cancellation would have exacerbated it even further (Central Trains were not well known for their reliability), there have been occasions where passengers had to be left behind because the 2-car Class 170s could not cope with the loadings from Nottingham to Liverpool and even from Norwich.

Established Member
Towards the tail end of Central Trains franchise in 2007, Norwich - Liverpool was one of the 4 Citylink services that would either see Class 158s and/or Class 170s diagrammed , and could have been either 2 or 3 cars.
3-cars actually did well for capacity but even before EMT took over, 2-cars was woefully inadequate and any delay or cancellation would have exacerbated it even further (Central Trains were not well known for their reliability), there have been occasions where passengers had to be left behind because the 2-car Class 170s could not cope with the loadings from Nottingham to Liverpool and even from Norwich.

Not helped by the passenger counts the East Midlands Trains fleet plan was based on under counting many Norwich to Liverpool services, which meant 2 car 158s returned to the route whilst the 8 centre cars went to Northern in exchange for 2 153s. Another farce overseen by DfT, old habits die hard...

childwallblues

Established Member
I worked at Warrington Central and 170501-23 started to appear on Liverpool-Norwich in March 2000. The first that I noted were 170504/07 on 21/03/2000. Yhe following month 170630-39 came on to the route. By August 2000 I had noted all 33 units on the CLC.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Another visit to Liverpool and, assuming it isn't swapped out at Nottingham, its first visit with EMR to Norwich.
And it made it to Norwich.

Sorry for the rubbish photo, it was running late and I had to dash to get the London train.

For a temporary loan it certainly has a lot of EMR related stickers inside.

Attachments

• PXL_20220817_152742475.jpg
    PXL_20220817_152742475.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 185

TheBigD

Established Member
Yesterday, 19/08 the 0955 Norwich to Nottingham was formed of 2 x 158, + 170530.
As a previously posted by @LowLevel that 170s aren't currently allowed to operate in service in multiple with a 156/8 with EMR, have the regulations changed, or was the 170 locked out of use?

LowLevel

Established Member
Yesterday, 19/08 the 0955 Norwich to Nottingham was formed of 2 x 158, + 170530.
As a previously posted by @LowLevel that 170s aren't currently allowed to operate in service in multiple with a 156/8 with EMR, have the regulations changed, or was the 170 locked out of use?
The 170 was misbehaving and being tripped back having failed to start.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The 170 was misbehaving and being tripped back having failed to start.
If they are coupled together which half is locked out. The front / rear or always the 170.

I know a few 170 / 15x are scheduled in Lincolnshire but normally at times to avoid an ECS rather then because you need the seats.

LowLevel

Established Member
If they are coupled together which half is locked out. The front / rear or always the 170.

I know a few 170 / 15x are scheduled in Lincolnshire but normally at times to avoid an ECS rather then because you need the seats.
You lock out the rear set, generally.

TheBigD

Established Member
The service would have reversed at Ely. The 170 leading from Norwich and then trailing from Ely.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You lock out the rear set, generally.
Thanks. That makes sense as at least you know you will always be on the platform. Stations like Market Rasen fouling the crossing are not good. But not see any 4 car stop signs (the 4 cars in the Christmas market blocked the crossing but not done the 2x booked combo). Namely the first Saturday morning Grimsby - Leicester service (spitting at Lincoln) and last service on Sunday from cleethorpes.

TheBigD

Established Member
I think it was sandwiched so there was a 158 at either end.
It certainly wasn't when it passed March.
Whether it was remarshalled at Ely I don't know, I doubt it, but the service was delayed there quite a while.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Whether it was remarshalled at Ely I don't know, I doubt it, but the service was delayed there quite a while.
I guess all the normal stations after Ely can take 6 coaches anyway so if the front was locked out it wouldn’t matter.

LowLevel

Established Member
Quite happy to take your word for it - the report I saw had it as a sandwich but if you saw it yourself then it must have been wrong :lol:

The story I heard was it was on the blocks at Norwich on top of something else, they couldn't start it so they just coupled everything together with the inbound arrival on top and they took everything there with them.

Must have been inaccurate!

TheBigD

Established Member
Quite happy to take your word for it - the report I saw had it as a sandwich but if you saw it yourself then it must have been wrong :lol:

The story I heard was it was on the blocks at Norwich on top of something else, they couldn't start it so they just coupled everything together with the inbound arrival on top and they took everything there with them.

Must have been inaccurate!

Not sure if the link works if you're not a group member but photo of the whole ensemble leaving March.

I was wrong, it was remarshalled at Ely.
Left Norwich with it sandwiched between 2 158s, and one of the 158s ran round at Ely before continuing to Nottingham. Seems a strange maneuver but I'm guessing a fault of some description with the 158 that would have lead from Ely.

Last edited:

Furton

Currently sat on the 170 from Parkway to Oxford Rd. Interior is very tatty but the AC is wonderful compared to the 158. First class seats declassified also helps.

43102EMR

Established Member
Currently sat on the 170 from Parkway to Oxford Rd. Interior is very tatty but the AC is wonderful compared to the 158. First class seats declassified also helps.
Appears to be a set swap at Nottingham for a 158 on to Norwich - usually the other way around!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That was an ex Scotrail 170/4. Horribly tatty inside as you said, but there are indeed a few little perks such as the 2+1 seating at the end.

STINT47

The ex Scotish units are the reason why a refurbishment really cannot be cancelled.

Some of the 170s such as those from WMT are not that bad (although far from great),but the Scotish units are really tatty and heavenknows what they will look like if no refurbishment is done.

When they first arrived they had posters saying a refurb was on the way so people at EMR clearly understood the poor impression they give and the need to refurbish them

A light refresh with new carpets, seat cushions and work to repair/repaint internally fixtures would-be a start. It's not asking for the earth when you consider that Avanti did this on their voyagers and they're off leave soon.

43102EMR

Established Member
The ex Scotish units are the reason why a refurbishment really cannot be cancelled.

Some of the 170s such as those from WMT are not that bad (although far from great),but the Scotish units are really tatty and heavenknows what they will look like if no refurbishment is done.

When they first arrived they had posters saying a refurb was on the way so people at EMR clearly understood the poor impression they give and the need to refurbish them

A light refresh with new carpets, seat cushions and work to repair/repaint internally fixtures would-be a start. It's not asking for the earth when you consider that Avanti did this on their voyagers and they're off leave soon.
Simple really - the DfT let them do it…

LowLevel

Established Member

The refurbishment won't be cancelled - however I'd not be surprised if it was scaled down to no longer have the Intercity standard new seats etc.

Having the trains available to send away is the main problem at the minute. The fleet needs to be larger to support some being out of traffic.

liamf656

Just seen on Facebook that 171202 and 171402 have been reformed back into 3 car units. They should be moving north in the next few weeks although I'm not yet sure on whether they'll have the couplings changed before they enter service or if they'll press them into traffic with a no coupling rule, although I'd imagine it to be the former as it's easier

fgwrich

Established Member
Just seen on Facebook that 171202 and 171402 have been reformed back into 3 car units. They should be moving north in the next few weeks although I'm not yet sure on whether they'll have the couplings changed before they enter service or if they'll press them into traffic with a no coupling rule, although I'd imagine it to be the former as it's easier
Snap:

liamf656

Snap:

And I was wondering why there was no conversation on it here :oops: