• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

TheBigD

Established Member
I know that (though I’ll thank you for taking the time to explain that anyway) but the key point is in the first two words of your paragraph: When new. They don’t have a buffet and guard compartment anymore I’m pretty sure?

No they don't. Buffet was removed and extra seats added around 2004/5 and the guards compartment a few years after that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

Doesn't sound like the made the best use of space for a 3 car train. With combination of ample 1st class, buffets and guards compartments
Well not today obviously, but at the time of introduction passenger numbers were probably below their current levels, so it likely made more sense.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well not today obviously, but at the time of introduction passenger numbers were probably below their current levels, so it likely made more sense.
In the case of 201-208 it was part of the franchise contract to provide all facilities as operating Intercity services hence the high provision of first class. This lasted until the end of that franchise in February 2004 & started to be removed later that year. I have worked countless 6 and 9-car formations where catering had to be replicated in every unit. Only needed 1 guard though.

GWVillager

In the case of 201-208 it was part of the franchise contract to provide all facilities as operating Intercity services hence the high provision of first class. This lasted until the end of that franchise in February 2004 & started to be removed later that year. I have worked countless 6 and 9-car formations where catering had to be replicated in every unit. Only needed 1 guard though.
Ah, makes sense, thanks.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
With the last 170 from WMR due to transfer on the 26th of May, when is it likely that that final one will be withdrawn from use with WMR ready for transfer to EMR?

170UTD

With the last 170 from WMR due to transfer on the 26th of May, when is it likely that that final one will be withdrawn from use with WMR ready for transfer to EMR?
Probably one or two days before. That's at least how EMR have done it with their 156s going to Northern

Warrior2852

I must say it is surreal every time I go into Nottingham station and I see so many 170s that are Southern or Transport for Wales designs in all but a small logo on the carriage side saying EMR.

satisnek

I must say it is surreal every time I go into Nottingham station and I see so many 170s that are Southern or Transport for Wales designs in all but a small logo on the carriage side saying EMR.
I had a day out with a Lincolnshire Day Ranger (from Nottingham) recently and one journey was on a 170 in EMR livery but still with its old London Midland interior. It was a bit like meeting an old friend you haven't seen for a while!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I had a day out with a Lincolnshire Day Ranger (from Nottingham) recently and one journey was on a 170 in EMR livery but still with its old London Midland interior. It was a bit like meeting an old friend you haven't seen for a while!
Sort of how I felt when riding on a TFL Rail 360 about a year after all the SWR 450s were refurbished with blue leather and cloth seats! The 360 had stolen the old South West Trains moquette so it was like going back in time a couple of years!

All part of the messy shambles of the TOC that is EMR.
Don’t forget the Scotrail, London Midland, Greater Anglia, Stagecoach EMT and until the timetable changes Anglia Railways and First Group interiors too!

LowLevel

Established Member
Sort of how I felt when riding on a TFL Rail 360 about a year after all the SWR 450s were refurbished with blue leather and cloth seats! The 360 had stolen the old South West Trains moquette so it was like going back in time a couple of years!

Don’t forget the Scotrail, London Midland, Greater Anglia, Stagecoach EMT and until the timetable changes Anglia Railways and First Group interiors too!
Next year will be the year, apparently. 810s in (and they do look very smart) and the 158s and 170s go for their refurbishment. Still no formal update on the 360s.

Shambles isn't the right word I think - the TOC is at least basically functioning unlike several others.

Warrior2852

Personally the main issue I have with EMR is the often short intercity services that get overcrowded as a result. But for the most part I would say they're doing reasonably well, pretty much all of the trains I get with them are on time (and I use them quite a lot). Certainly to the average passenger it won't matter to them if the train is a different colour, inside or outside.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Next year will be the year, apparently. 810s in (and they do look very smart) and the 158s and 170s go for their refurbishment. Still no formal update on the 360s.

Shambles isn't the right word I think - the TOC is at least basically functioning unlike several others.
Those of us without a full service for four summers (2020 to 2023) may disagree.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Those of us without a full service for four summers (2020 to 2023) may disagree.
The point is true though; while things at EMR certainly aren't perfect, they didn't have the massive mess that existed at Avanti (now fortunately mostly resolved) and still exists at TPE.

fgwrich

Established Member
When new, Anglia's 170201-208 had both a buffet and a guards compartment in the centre car. The buffet and guards compartment was at one end of the centre car, along with 4 seats around a table. The buffet was smaller than the MMs bar that the 3 car MML 170101-110 had (and the Hull Trains 170393-396 had), with both the buffet and the guards compartment taking up the same space as the MMs bar.

The 3 car sets had 29 x 1st class seats, 127 std seats, buffet counter, guards compartment, and 2 wheelchair spaces.

Photo of the MMs bar on a MML 170...
Briefly mentioning the former Hull Trains batch for a moment, the buffet may be long gone but there are still traces on the Ceiling if you know where to look - eg, the outline of the discoloured panels :lol:

Speedbird96

I think you need to give this whole "EMR is a shambles" claim a rest! It's frankly getting tiring hearing the same comment and does not contribute to this discussion.

EMR is by no means perfect but credit where credit is due that they actually do operate a semblance of a service. Yes, COVID-19 put a spanner in the works and not able to provide a service which they could've reliably operate but there is sense of normality returning. I'd be very happy once the 2tph between Nottingham and Mansfield if that gets reinstated, every hour Leicester to Lincoln (there are still gaps in the current timetable), Crewe to Newark Castle (again, same story as Leicester to Lincoln) and the full restoration of Nottingham to Matlock services.

As someone why relies on EMR to visit my parents in Lincolnshire and having to connect at Nottingham (which I will be moving back to in a year's time), they are not perfect and the Class 170s have decidedly seen better days but I'm happy to see them back within the East Midlands where they were in abundance during the Central Trains era.

Agreed!

Happy to hear a refurbishment is finally on the cards.

Wolfie

Established Member
I think you need to give this whole "EMR is a shambles" claim a rest! It's frankly getting tiring hearing the same comment and does not contribute to this discussion.

EMR is by no means perfect but credit where credit is due that they actually do operate a semblance of a service. Yes, COVID-19 put a spanner in the works and not able to provide a service which they could've reliably operate but there is sense of normality returning. I'd be very happy once the 2tph between Nottingham and Mansfield if that gets reinstated, every hour Leicester to Lincoln (there are still gaps in the current timetable), Crewe to Newark Castle (again, same story as Leicester to Lincoln) and the full restoration of Nottingham to Matlock services.

As someone why relies on EMR to visit my parents in Lincolnshire and having to connect at Nottingham (which I will be moving back to in a year's time), they are not perfect and the Class 170s have decidedly seen better days but I'm happy to see them back within the East Midlands where they were in abundance during the Central Trains era.

Agreed!

Happy to hear a refurbishment is finally on the cards.
The 170s are decent trains but they have been hard worked and EMR have a right hotch pitch. A decent refurb and they will be at least as good as 195s or 196s.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
170505 & 170506 just passed Small Heath 1020.

End of an era then. No more 170s in the West Midlands after (insert years here) then. Shame there was no farewell tour. That would have been good.

dereksingh291

On Moderation