• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Overcrowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
The conversation I had was some time ago and much has indeed changed since then. The price differential for first is too great and for an hourly service not popular. It might be more attractive for a reliable half hourly service with a seat. Catering doesn't work well when the train is so crowded the trolley can't easily get aboard a busy train, let alone work through it.

One problem we haven't resolved is how to distribute loads throughout a train. I have early memories of boarding very long ECML trains at York for Newcastle and walking forward to find empty compartments at the front, the section nearest the bridge being full.

I've watched loading of EMR, TPE and Northern trains at Sheffield for Manchester. 6 coach TPE 185s and 4 coach Northern 150/6s and that walk through option isn't fully available. On EMRs 156/8s it is, however the issue remains. Passengers pile into the first coaches they see and don't walk forward.

Yesterday I saw a 4 car Northern with empty first carriage and rear full and standing. It happens every day across the network so impressions of how busy trains are can vary greatly even on the same train. At Sheffield platform staff do sometimes try to encourage better distribution.

Passenger satisfaction is greatest when seating capacity is less than 50% utilised thus allowing a choice of empty available seats. ToC and DfT are happiest at 100%.

Currently a railway organised predominantly around fairly predictable commuting and business patterns is struggling to readjust. I've only travelled first class at greatly reduced weekend rates. When the fare is 50-100% more expensive than standard it's not an option for most.
Distributing loads among trains is an issue - problem is a lot of reserved seats end up being near to the rear of the train at terminus stations anyway... I've skipped my reserved seat on TPE before and gone to the furthest away unit, because I know the rear will be fill and standing.

The other issue on Norwich - Liverpool is the train splitting. A lot of people pile on to the carriages continuing on to Norwich. Really the trains need to be 4 cars Nottingham - Norwich and 6 cars Nottingham - Liverpool. But, I would really want to avoid splitting/joining if I was provisioning new stock today.
First class is generally for business travel through the week and remote working/cost cutting has lessened that demand. At weekends the Premium upgrade service like on the WCML works okay in that it's not extortionate but you're basically just paying for a more comfortable seat (or any seat depending on how busy standard class is).
Yes - I think offering first class as a cheap upgrade for advance passengers is a good way of divvying out seats at times of low demand.

But, it would be interesting to see how the revenue per carriage is compared to a standard carriage - although I think this would apply mostly to XC!
There is still some demand in some areas, it seems - I recently travelled on a weekday evening peak departure from St Pancras formed of a 7 car 222. Despite the mass over provision on those sets, every single bay of seating in first class except a couple of the few single seats had at least one occupant.
Yeah - the London bound routes (which are the only EMR runs 1st class on) tend to have a bit more experience in distributing loads.

London is also the most popular destination when it comes to business travel for obvious reasons!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Distributing loads among trains is an issue - problem is a lot of reserved seats end up being near to the rear of the train at terminus stations anyway... I've skipped my reserved seat on TPE before and gone to the furthest away unit, because I know the rear will be fill and standing.

The other issue on Norwich - Liverpool is the train splitting. A lot of people pile on to the carriages continuing on to Norwich. Really the trains need to be 4 cars Nottingham - Norwich and 6 cars Nottingham - Liverpool. But, I would really want to avoid splitting/joining if I was provisioning new stock today.

Yes - I think offering first class as a cheap upgrade for advance passengers is a good way of divvying out seats at times of low demand.

But, it would be interesting to see how the revenue per carriage is compared to a standard carriage - although I think this would apply mostly to XC!

Yeah - the London bound routes (which are the only EMR runs 1st class on) tend to have a bit more experience in distributing loads.

London is also the most popular destination when it comes to business travel for obvious reasons!
The problem of loading distribution on Liverpool to Norwich trains was made worse, I think, when reservations as far as Nottingham were all applied to the through coaches rather than the Nottingham turn backs.

LowLevel

Established Member
The problem of loading distribution on Liverpool to Norwich trains was made worse, I think, when reservations as far as Nottingham were all applied to the through coaches rather than the Nottingham turn backs.
They did latterly try putting labels in the other portion to spread things out but this was made difficult by short formations causing that half of the train to not exist.

The reservations were actually planned to be removed as a trial pre COVID anyway and so I don't foresee them coming back.

Foxcover

Saw on RTT that the majority of EMR Nottingham-Liverpools are 6-car today - does anyone know if that is a general strengthening going forward, or just this bhol weekend to try to provide some of the missing TPE capacity due to the strike?

Either way, it’s good to see the planning/joined-up thinking when it comes to the multi-operator Sheffield to Liverpool rail corridor.

MP393

It’s a combination of TPE Strike action and the WCML being closed south of Milton Keynes so an increase in passangers travelling Manchester - Sheffield. Northern 156412 (which is ex EMR) is on hire today providing extra capacity on one service
Saw on RTT that the majority of EMR Nottingham-Liverpools are 6-car today - does anyone know if that is a general strengthening going forward, or just this bhol weekend to try to provide some of the missing TPE capacity due to the strike?

Either way, it’s good to see the planning/joined-up thinking when it comes to the multi-operator Sheffield to Liverpool rail corridor.

Bill57p9

I have travelled EMR Nottingham to Sheffield and back today. Outward (1044) was a 4 car which was busy and then standing when it left Sheffield for Manchester.
The return (1640) is a 6 car and has been billed as "late running due to overcrowding due to an event". Some of it is busy however we made the effort of walking right to to he front (ironically the only 2 cars proceeding past Nottingham) and it's lightly loaded up front.

I should add that there have been delays all day due to earlier signalling issues at Manchester Oxford Road.

I have seen on RTT 6 cars at other times, so maybe a (semi) permanent improvement.

For the record, Northern on the Hope Valley was less impressive. Yes, 6 cars but the rear 3 only for passengers going all the way on an all station stopper between Manchester and Sheffield... Cue 3 dead cars and 3 full and standing

Dr Hoo

Established Member
For the record, Northern on the Hope Valley was less impressive. Yes, 6 cars but the rear 3 only for passengers going all the way on an all station stopper between Manchester and Sheffield... Cue 3 dead cars and 3 full and standing
Presumably not as many using the Sheffield route to get to London during the Euston engineering works this weekend as might have been expected.

Good of Northern to 'try' though. (The fact that all intermediate stations only have four-car platforms means that there's not much alternative for this tactic whilst still protecting dwell times.)

LowLevel

Established Member
These weekends are doing us in - pretty much every route pinging as full and standing. We are really struggling to cope, it is a distinctly unpleasant experience for all concerned having West Coast engineering, football, Uttoxeter races and TPE strikes all in one go. Just impossible to mitigate.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I get that pathing probably prevents it today, however 20 years ago Project Rio was well thought through.
It always seemed to be 'dead' during the week (north of Leicester). Only seemed to contribute much on a few weekends when the WCML was completely shut. And no real help at all in relation to Central Trains/MML/EMT/EMR type flows that this thread is about. It actually made some of those journeys worse.

Established Member
I'd call it impressive for Northern to have 6 cars on a service they don't have to strengthen.

People were more than welcome to join the rear set at stations along the route today as long as they were aware that they might have to move back to the front of the rear unit.

paul1609

Established Member
I have travelled EMR Nottingham to Sheffield and back today. Outward (1044) was a 4 car which was busy and then standing when it left Sheffield for Manchester.
The return (1640) is a 6 car and has been billed as "late running due to overcrowding due to an event". Some of it is busy however we made the effort of walking right to to he front (ironically the only 2 cars proceeding past Nottingham) and it's lightly loaded up front.

I should add that there have been delays all day due to earlier signalling issues at Manchester Oxford Road.

I have seen on RTT 6 cars at other times, so maybe a (semi) permanent improvement.

I was on the 09.32 Edale to Sheffield and 17.14 return today both 6 cars and busy throughout. Guards making announcements in both directions for people in cars 5 & 6 to move forward to car 4 to alight at the hope Valley stations. Obviously I'm not a regular on this line but there seemed an awful lot of luggage so I'd guess at least some people were diverting around the WCMl works.

LowLevel

Established Member
To my reckoning today we've had Notts Forest at home, Leicester rugby, Lincoln City at home, Uttoxeter races, Bank Holiday Skegness customers and West Coast closure, plus some more I've probably forgotten. It's been absolute murder all day and now the drunks are fighting. I'd say if this is to continue for the summer there's a not unreasonable risk of the traincrew and station staff walking off the job. I think today is the worst day I've ever known. My phone hasn't stopped pinging all day for full trains.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I read that TPE should be getting up to speed on the route this month. Might not happen with the strike though !

gazzaa2

These weekends are doing us in - pretty much every route pinging as full and standing. We are really struggling to cope, it is a distinctly unpleasant experience for all concerned having West Coast engineering, football, Uttoxeter races and TPE strikes all in one go. Just impossible to mitigate.

Great British Rail Sale as well.

I'm staying away from Saturdays until things get sorted out.

liamf656

It’s definitely been a challenge to all involved today, it seems to be a struggle every weekend now, so well done everyone!

Killingworth

Established Member
I'd call it impressive for Northern to have 6 cars on a service they don't have to strengthen.

People were more than welcome to join the rear set at stations along the route today as long as they were aware that they might have to move back to the front of the rear unit.

We have used Northern 6 car trains on the Hope Valley route today. We saw the 8.14 from Sheffield leave with first car full and standing and last looked empty. We'd arrived inboard with plenty of space.

It's a learning curve for them as crews gradually get the wrinkles sorted out. Yes, it needs making clearer that the last 2 coaches won't be in platforms at intermediate stations but for an end to end ride that's the best place to be.

Fit people can walk forward if they get aboard in error. Getting a bike forward is more of a problem! It seems walkers are getting the message to go forward but through travellers aren't going to the back.

EMR will have the same issue if they run 6 on the few of their trains that stop in the Hope Valley, but those trains are early and late and probably won't be strengthened.

TPE run 6 through 4 car platform Dore every day and regular users have no major difficulty with this - but it will be 6 car there by next summer so that's one sration resolved.

IceBlue

EMR will have the same issue if they run 6 on the few of their trains that stop in the Hope Valley, but those trains are early and late and probably won't be strengthened.

EMR 156/158 sets don't have SDO meaning they couldn't run 6 car sets on Hope Valley stoppers (unless they went for local door opening which is infeasible for that size of train). When they ran 6 car sets last week they didn't call at a couple of the stations between Manchester and Liverpool because of short platforms, and I believe they did the same this week.

In theory for the future, they could use 170 stock for 5-6 car sets but they currently don't have the combination of driver and guard route/traction knowledge to operate them.

STINT47

There is considerable overcrowding on the London Intercity trains this weekend in part due to the WCML being closed.

I do feel that EMR should not be taking other lines passengers at the moment. When the 810s come in then it can be reviewed but right now our trains from Nottingham and Sheffield cannot cope with passenger from people in the East Midlands. Adding WCML passengerd is not good for people in the East Midlands who need to travel to London. It's not good but WCML passengers could be put on buses

In my view the HSTs should have been retained even if not compliant as they were great people movers. Any disabled passengers could be directed to the next 223 or 180 service,not great but it could have worked.

For the regional side the extra 170s are needed urgently but with new stock being delayed there isn't much 5hat can be done. Perhaps CAF can compensate every passenger who has to stand? The new stock might suddenly be introduced more quickly if they're hit in the pocket.

liamf656

I do feel that EMR should not be taking other lines passengers at the moment.
I’m not sure what other alternatives there are. When the WCML is down people do have the option to go up the Chilterns however that runs the risk of their trains being just as overcrowded as EMRs, then would you be saying the same thing about Chiltern not being allowed to take other lines passengers? When the ECML is down there isn’t an alternative.

Yesterday was exceptionally busy not only because of the WCML closures but also because of various sporting events and the GBR ticket sale currently ongoing, as well as the simple fact that Bank Holidays are a popular travelling time; so unfortunately there’s very little that can be done at the moment. We can see EMR trying to get as much capacity as possible by strengthening the Liverpool services to 6 car and sourcing buses where possible (They also made sure road transport was sourced from Kettering back onto the WCML so that trains aren’t leaving people behind on stations to Derby and Sheffield), so you can see that all is being done in these situations

gazzaa2

I’m not sure what other alternatives there are. When the WCML is down people do have the option to go up the Chilterns however that runs the risk of their trains being just as overcrowded as EMRs, then would you be saying the same thing about Chiltern not being allowed to take other lines passengers? When the ECML is down there isn’t an alternative.

Yesterday was exceptionally busy not only because of the WCML closures but also because of various sporting events and the GBR ticket sale currently ongoing, as well as the simple fact that Bank Holidays are a popular travelling time; so unfortunately there’s very little that can be done at the moment. We can see EMR trying to get as much capacity as possible by strengthening the Liverpool services to 6 car and sourcing buses where possible (They also made sure road transport was sourced from Kettering back onto the WCML so that trains aren’t leaving people behind on stations to Derby and Sheffield), so you can see that all is being done in these situations

Absolute stupidity when trains can't cope as it is.

Operators need to sort their timetable, staffing levels and rolling stock before they can accommodate silly tone-deaf gimmicks like that.

liamf656

Operators need to sort their timetable, staffing levels and rolling stock before they can accommodate silly tone-deaf gimmicks like that.
I agree that trains can’t cope normally, however the GBR sale was decided by the government, not the train operators.

Killingworth

Established Member
I agree that trains can’t cope normally, however the GBR sale was decided by the government, not the train operators.

In theory the cheap tickets were all for quiet times. However one cheap half of a return journey on a quiet train may be offset by a return half on a busy train at full price. Still a good deal overall for the attracted traveller - and more congestion on the busy train.

Jozhua

Established Member
I think the issue is the railways have a lack of slack in rolling stock.

Ideally, I'd like to see the sprinters kept around as "strengthening" stock into the future - utilised when extra capacity is needed. They'd get more downtime for maintenance/TLC (especially during weekdays) and then pulled out for perticularly busy periods, with maybe a few peak runs where needed.

The railways are uniquely capable as a transport mode of picking up a slack in capacity (just make the trains longer!). Unfortunately, UK rail seems to be struggling to get the rolling stock to do this.
To my reckoning today we've had Notts Forest at home, Leicester rugby, Lincoln City at home, Uttoxeter races, Bank Holiday Skegness customers and West Coast closure, plus some more I've probably forgotten. It's been absolute murder all day and now the drunks are fighting. I'd say if this is to continue for the summer there's a not unreasonable risk of the traincrew and station staff walking off the job. I think today is the worst day I've ever known. My phone hasn't stopped pinging all day for full trains.
Oh dear - does this get fed back to DfT?

Established Member

Sorry to hear that. I’m very pleased to have been off yesterday! Saturday is by far and away the worst day of the week to be at work and rapidly getting worse.

Chriso

An absolutely horrendous day on EMR today. Short formed trains reduced timetable with the West Coast. Gave up went up East Coast. Coming back full and standing in the 4/7 standard coaches so joined the 3 other first pax in the next carriage and paid the upgrade might I add with f**l all catering

EMR really have destroyed the EMT franchise I avoid them at all costs. I can’t believe my TM still had a stagecoach era uniform on. Hopefully I can avoid until the new bimodes come on because it’s obvious the lazy management are doing nothing to the fleet until then

Last edited:

station_road

The GBR sale isn't a factor here - EMR haven't been selling tickets at sale fares for this (or next) weekend
https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/railsale

It's the bank Holiday weekend, various sporting events, WCML closure and that Saturdays are already very busy that has caused problems on many operators this weekend

Exclusion days​

Rail Sale fares are not available on EMR routes on the following exclusion days; 30 April, 1 May, 2 May across all routes. They will not be available on 7 and 8 May on our Intercity and Connect routes.

Kite159

Veteran Member
An absolutely horrendous day on EMR today. Short formed trains reduced timetable with the West Coast. Gave up went up East Coast. Coming back full and standing in the 4/7 standard coaches so joined the 3 other first pax in the next carriage and paid the upgrade might I add with f**l all catering

EMR really have destroyed the EMT franchise I avoid them at all costs. I can’t believe my TM still had a stagecoach era uniform on. Hopefully I can avoid until the new bimodes come on because it’s obvious the lazy management are doing nothing to the fleet until then
EMR don't help themselves with the over provision of first class on the 7 coach trains.

Would it hurt them to declassify one of the coaches, ensuring any genuine first class passengers are in the remaining FC coaches, even declassifying 2 of the coaches?

(Same with the 4/5 coach units, declassified the area of FC which is in the composite coach and having any genuine FC passengers in the driving coach) not that many more seats but every little helps (and might make some passengers decide to buy FC tickets the next time they travel)

Class 170101

Established Member
The railways are uniquely capable as a transport mode of picking up a slack in capacity (just make the trains longer!). Unfortunately, UK rail seems to be struggling to get the rolling stock to do this.
Unfortunately when it was split up in 1993 (if not before) it created more barriers to this happening. GA have borrowed EMR 158s in the past and Northern have also loaned 156s recently, as noted above, these are all involving BR era stock and simple conversion courses for train crew. However this will be more difficult with each operator now having different types of rolling stock in the private sector era that are not compatible with each other meaning they cannot be used together and also traincrew don't sign the traction between operators because they are so different.

Status
Not open for further replies.