• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Energy bills to rise - how much is yours going up by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
My direct debit is changing again... its gone down by 21 a month. Well thats very unexpected! :lol:
Do you have a ton of credit? I still have and used to get notifications to reduce my DD.
Interesting that my app updates my use and cost in the early hours every day, but hasn't done so today. Wonder if it's a blip, or to do with the increases and it's all being updated?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wireforever

I remember when we had to switch from a coal fire to gas.Do we still get gas from the north sea or is it imported liquid gas.Still considering switching to a electric boiler for the radiators and perhaps a multi fuel fire.I like plenty of others probably laughed at the doomsday preppers featured on various tv channels but with recent events perhaps I am wrong and they are right!

najaB

Veteran Member
I remember when we had to switch from a coal fire to gas.Do we still get gas from the north sea or is it imported liquid gas
A significant portion of our gas comes from the North Sea still, however the amount that we import has been steadily increasing.
About half of the UK’s gas comes from the North Sea, and a third is sourced from Norway.

The rest is made up of imports of liquefied natural gas (LNG) transported to the UK by sea from countries such as Qatar and the US.
From: https://inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-where-from-how-much-russia-import-britain-supplies-explained-1504257

birchesgreen

Established Member
Do you have a ton of credit? I still have and used to get notifications to reduce my DD.
Interesting that my app updates my use and cost in the early hours every day, but hasn't done so today. Wonder if it's a blip, or to do with the increases and it's all being updated?
Some credit though that didn't stop them putting it up a couple of months ago. Oh well lets just hope its not an ill-advised April Fool joke :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I remember when we had to switch from a coal fire to gas.Do we still get gas from the north sea or is it imported liquid gas.Still considering switching to a electric boiler for the radiators and perhaps a multi fuel fire.I like plenty of others probably laughed at the doomsday preppers featured on various tv channels but with recent events perhaps I am wrong and they are right!
My late mother’s relatively small bungalow had an electric storage heater based system (economy 7 ish) but with wet radiator circulation. When that failed it was replaced by an electric boiler heating the same radiators, on a standard tariff. The cost of running it was completely off the scale, in the stupidly high direction. Personally I’d run a mile from such a system.

Howardh

Established Member
I was looking at my OVO app earlier - and a pop-up popped up from the same company; alerting me to a fixed 2-yr dual fuel tarrif. So I clicked on it for further details and I suddenly got a "thank you for fixing your energy blah...." + welcome e-mails.
What the???
So finally got through to them on the phone, took just under an hour waiting and 90p of Skype credit and managed to get them to cancel that immediately and put me back on the standard tariff - the price-fixed one. If you are on any other deal I don't think the price cap applies AND I don't think you get that £200 loan either.
So just waiting for a confirmatory e-mail that the switch never happened.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was looking at my OVO app earlier - and a pop-up popped up from the same company; alerting me to a fixed 2-yr dual fuel tarrif. So I clicked on it for further details and I suddenly got a "thank you for fixing your energy blah...." + welcome e-mails.
What the???
So finally got through to them on the phone, took just under an hour waiting and 90p of Skype credit and managed to get them to cancel that immediately and put me back on the standard tariff - the price-fixed one. If you are on any other deal I don't think the price cap applies AND I don't think you get that £200 loan either.

And no doubt that fixed deal would be priced a lot more than the new price cap.

But it's a guessing game at what the cap might look like in October, but some fixed deals have a premium of 70% over the current cap for a year.

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
What the???
Correct, the price cap only applies to a supplier's default/standard tariff. But as we've seen in recent months, the cap can rise. The level of the fixed deal may be higher than the cap now, but who can say what the cap will look like in October? Or next April? Whereas a fixed deal from your supplier is exactly that, if you're happy with that price then it wouldn't be going up over the term.
The government FAQ on the 'rebate' says:
Domestic energy customers in Great Britain will receive a £200 cash discount on their
bills this Autumn. The government will provide funding to all suppliers for them to pass
on to their domestic energy customers from October.
I don't see anything to suggest that would be restricted only to customers on default tariffs.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This whole situation has made me realise that taking on a three-year fix last August wasn't such a bad move after all. I'm still paying much more than I was this time last year, but I missed the major hike in the autumn. I would not have been able to afford to pay any more. In the event that prices do fall significantly, although unlikely, my exit fee is only £15.

david1212

Established Member
My direct debit this month will be twice that of last September based on current usage.

I'm already frugal so can not cut much more short of in winter sitting wrapped in blankets and a balaclava. Longer term I need a new boiler and being rid of the hot water cylinder but not sure how much that actually will save. My summer usage for hot water and cooking is around 250kW / month so 8kW / day. Hypothetically if cut to 4kW / day at the current capped gas price a saving of ~£100 / year. My winter usage is around 1500kW / month so 1250kW / month is heating. Overall the last two winters have been mild too. To save £100 / year on heating the new boiler would have almost 20% more efficient. I would be surprised if there really was a 20% efficiency gain.

I look back to my father having an income of the state pension and a small private pension. So far for current pensioners just the basic pension increase of 3.1% and the £150 council tax rebate. That is far behind an energy cost increase of say £1000 without increases in the cost of food and other essentials.

Bertone

Unfortunately, with respect to the £150 council tax rebate, it is only applicable for properties in bands A to D.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, with respect to the £150 council tax rebate, it is only applicable for properties in bands A to D.

I don't really get why the value of your house from the 90s decides whether you get any help. We're band E and our house is hardly huge by any stretch of the imagination (and it was only built in 2003).

Howardh

Established Member
My gripe is this; the thermostat controlling the house is in the hall, where the radiator there has to be on if any other radiator is on - and that area doesn't need heating at all. There's no way of turning that radiator off, apparantly any others would simply get hotter and hotter as there's nothing to control them...except there is as they all have their own radiator thermostat which can be adjusted.
Anyobe else in the same situation?

DelayRepay

Established Member
My gripe is this; the thermostat controlling the house is in the hall, where the radiator there has to be on if any other radiator is on - and that area doesn't need heating at all. There's no way of turning that radiator off, apparantly any others would simply get hotter and hotter as there's nothing to control them...except there is as they all have their own radiator thermostat which can be adjusted.
I was in a similar situation. The thermostat was at the bottom of the stairs, so the an area that was never really warm as the heat went upstairs.

I had it replaced when I had a new boiler installed a couple of years ago. Now I have a wireless one which is handy. I also have an app on my phone which is handy if I'm going to be out for longer than planned.

david1212

Established Member

Two situations must be avoided

One radiator must not have a thermostatic valve and not be closed off as otherwise the potential situation of no water flow so pump dead headed and given the rate of temperature rise in the boiler heat exchanger it could literally boil before the controller shut down. As protection there should be a pressure relief valve to give some flow but the difference in temperature between water leaving and returning to the boiler would be very small. Even with one radiator the difference in temperature would still be small.

A second is all doors being closed and that radiator off so the only ' control ' of water temperature would be the boiler internal thermostat. If set say 60degC not so bad but set to maximum and circulating water could be close to boiling point. Even with 60degC when boiler heat exchanger dropped to say 50degC it would fire up regardless of any need to add heat to a room hence wasted energy.

If I've not written this well just find a website with better wording.

The traditional design of choosing the hall so the radiator there compensates for heat loss from the front door and heat drifts upstairs plus simily adjusting flow through radiators for a reasonable balance is outdated though. Having the thermostat and the radiator without a thermostatic valve in the main room and thermostatic valves in all the other rooms is better when only the main room occupied. A step further is thermostatic valves with a timer so e.g. increase bedroom temperature for an hour late evening and early morning.

In the context of my post realistically someone with just the state pension and a small income from another source is unlikely to be living in a larger property.

I don't really get why the value of your house from the 90s decides whether you get any help. We're band E and our house is hardly huge by any stretch of the imagination (and it was only built in 2003).

In the context of the £150 rebate applying it only to those living in a property which is in bands A to D does not relate in any way to the ability to fund the huge hike in energy cost by cutting spending on luxuries rather than basics or even just one holiday and a few leisure days out.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Your house, when completed and assessed for council tax would have its value back dated to 1991 to put it into the correct band. That is, the VOA (Valuation Office Agency) if this house had been built in 1991, it would have sold between £88,001 and £120,000, therefore it is Band E.

The value is based on the price the property would have sold for on the open market on 1 April 1991 in England and 1 April 2003 in Wales.

The system has many flaws, including the fact that similar houses, even back in 1991, varied in price across the country so there is geographical discrimination. The vast majority of properties in Stoke-on-Trent are in Bands A-D so most households will receive the £150 big cash prize. I guess a much smaller proportion in London and the South East will receive it. Yay, levelling up.:D

Similarly, the assumption is that people living in a higher banded property are automatically wealthier. Generally that will be the case, particularly if they have recently bought the property (or even took on a lease/tenancy as rents reflect value). But an elderly person could have bought many decades ago, whilst earning a decent wage, but now struggling on just a state pension, or a reduced private pension due to pension fund scandals, or following a divorce where wealth including the pension may be split, or they inherited a large house but not cash wealth to go with it eg house to son, cash to daughter.

BandValue at 1 April 1991
Aup to £40,000
B£40,001 to £52,000
C£52,001 to £68,000
D£68,001 to £88,000
E£88,001 to £120,000
F£120,001 to £160,000
G£160,001 to £320,000
Hmore than £320,000

reddragon

Established Member
Your house, when completed and assessed for council tax would have its value back dated to 1991 to put it into the correct band. That is, the VOA (Valuation Office Agency) if this house had been built in 1991, it would have sold between £88,001 and £120,000, therefore it is Band E.

The system has many flaws, including the fact that similar houses, even back in 1991, varied in price across the country so there is geographical discrimination. The vast majority of properties in Stoke-on-Trent are in Bands A-D so most households will receive the £150 big cash prize. I guess a much smaller proportion in London and the South East will receive it. Yay, levelling up.:D

Similarly, the assumption is that people living in a higher banded property are automatically wealthier. Generally that will be the case, particularly if they have recently bought the property (or even took on a lease/tenancy as rents reflect value). But an elderly person could have bought many decades ago, whilst earning a decent wage, but now struggling on just a state pension, or a reduced private pension due to pension fund scandals, or following a divorce where wealth including the pension may be split, or they inherited a large house but not cash wealth to go with it eg house to son, cash to daughter.

BandValue at 1 April 1991
Aup to £40,000
B£40,001 to £52,000
C£52,001 to £68,000
D£68,001 to £88,000
E£88,001 to £120,000
F£120,001 to £160,000
G£160,001 to £320,000
Hmore than £320,000
Haha so a Southist Northern biased tax benefit them lol!

What do you do when you live in a band E council flat as a tenant in the south then?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Haha so a Southist Northern biased tax benefit them lol!

What do you do when you live in a band E council flat as a tenant in the south then?
Move house!

As in, relocate some of the jobs located in London and the south-east to the midlands and north. That way those affected can relocate to a larger property (perhaps even afford to buy rather than rent) but be in a lower council tax band at the same time!

reddragon

Established Member
Move house!

As in, relocate some of the jobs located in London and the south-east to the midlands and north. That way those affected can relocate to a larger property (perhaps even afford to buy rather than rent) but be in a lower council tax band at the same time!
The problem is that is an excellent Idea so it will never happen! A bit like NPR, a higher priority than HS2 but will never happen or be done piecemeal on the cheap!

Apart though, the south has many normal semis & terrace houses in band E+, with appalling insulation that cannot be fixed. Inner London has band E+ flats. Many have tenants on support, sharing rooms in a house. Who supports them?

What we need is a energy policy that gets us onto wind / solar / tidal as quick as possible to wean us off oil/gas of which we have little control. Smug Norway is 100% renewables and has very cheap leccy, unlike the cost of anything else there! These SMRs (small reactors) used in ships & subs could also be rolled out quickly, unlike those prohibitively costly nuclear power stations running decades late.

reddragon

Established Member
Also confirmed in the news

People living in some of England's poorest households and those who rent could miss out on the government's £150 council tax rebate.
Resolution Foundation figures show one in eight low-income households do not sit within eligible council tax bands.

brad465

Established Member
We could cut down energy bills by harnessing the gaslighting in just this tweet:

Who remembers living in a house without central heating, no double glazing, no loft insulation etc. and waking up and scratching pictures in the ice on the inside of the windows?

Less than 40 years ago, bought a brand new Wilcon home, no double glazing or central heating. One electric heater in lounge.

Saw somebody on the news tonight moaning about how cold their flat was and moaning about heating cost. They were wearing a t-shirt. Get a bloody jumper if I was you and wrap up warm....

Trackman

Established Member
My current unit is 29.54 a kWh so I'm assuming it will go up 45p a unit .. that's British gas . Key meter
Is this more than the standard tariff (not d/d)?. I thought pre-payment customers couldn't be penalised anymore for be on a key meter or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.