• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e300 routes/diagrammes

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm hoping to manage a trip on an e300 while it's still possible, so I've two questions:
  1. I understand that Eurostar are intending to keep a small number of e300s in use alongside the new fleet of e320s. Is there any indication of how long this will continue to be the case? (ie; how much of a rush should I be in?)
  2. Are there any particular routes and/or diagrammes that maximise the chances of getting one?
Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge they haven't turned a wheel in service since Covid kicked off because of the heavily reduced timetable. Whether they return or not is anyone's guess.

XAM2175

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge they haven't turned a wheel in service since Covid kicked off because of the heavily reduced timetable. Whether they return or not is anyone's guess.
Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten that. Cheers.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to manage a trip on an e300 while it's still possible, so I've two questions:
  1. I understand that Eurostar are intending to keep a small number of e300s in use alongside the new fleet of e320s. Is there any indication of how long this will continue to be the case? (ie; how much of a rush should I be in?)
  2. Are there any particular routes and/or diagrammes that maximise the chances of getting one?
Cheers!
IZY still have some class 373 units in service on their Paris to Brussels route. Normally it is half sets 373 213 and 373 224 coupled together that are in use. These are in full IZY livery. However since the Corona Virus started the Eurostar livery ones have been used quite a few times on IZY services to give them something to do rather than just sitting in storage. So you still have a chance to ride the class 373 units on IZY services.

Veteran Member
IZY still have some class 373 units in service on their Paris to Brussels route. Normally it is half sets 373 213 and 373 224 coupled together that are in use. These are in full IZY livery. However since the Corona Virus started the Eurostar livery ones have been used quite a few times on IZY services to give them something to do rather than just sitting in storage. So you still have a chance to ride the class 373 units on IZY services.
...which currently operate 6 return trips weekly, Fri to Mon...

DanNCL

Established Member
No booked passenger work at the moment (apart from the Izy services mentioned up thread) but the 373s can sometimes be seen at St Pancras and elsewhere on HS1 on empty trips, presumably for crew traction knowledge retention purposes.

If/when they do return to passenger use with Eurostar, they will only work Paris/Brussels/Disney services. Services to Amsterdam, Marseille and the Ski services will all be 374s.

XAM2175

Established Member
I'd also managed to overlook the scale of the IZY operation, so that's something to investigate. Thanks everybody!

popeter45

373212 currently in st pancreas so looks like they may be back in service?

Edit: looks like just shuttling between st pancreas and Ashford so looks like route learning?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As planned, the Class 374 has taken over the Class 373 on services to Bourg St. Maurice, starting today, so this is no longer the safe bet for the older train that it was.

There are several very enthusiastic Eurostar train managers and drivers who like to share images and information about their job with everyone, and they have said they hope to share the diagrams for the Class 373 as soon as they’re released.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Splendid news!
Yes, I’ll be sure to feed back if I see them post the diagrams, as I’m sure yourself and other forum members will find them useful when planning trips in future.

I certainly will, as I’d like to have a Class 374 going one way and a refurbished Class 373 going the other way when I use my Eurostar Travel Vouchers later in the year (probably to Brussels for onward travel to Aachen, or perhaps to Paris for onward travel to Toulouse) - the only time I have travelled by Eurostar was on a classic 373 both ways to Paris Nord in May 2012; it’s hard to believe that was approaching ten years ago. Eurostar has changed rather a lot since.

STINT47

If intrest is there perhaps Eurostar can be persuaded to let people ride on the London to Ashfird runs?

I would enjoy riding the 373s and a few trips on HS1 and it would bring some extra money in for them.

Maybe worth asking the right person at Euroatar?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If intrest is there perhaps Eurostar can be persuaded to let people ride on the London to Ashfird runs?

I would enjoy riding the 373s and a few trips on HS1 and it would bring some extra money in for them.

There's a legal bar on that*, but there would be nothing to stop anyone with enough money from arranging a charter run to Dolland's Moor and back. It might be difficult to sell enough seats to cover the cost, though.

*Something to do with the Channel Tunnel Security Act or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
This is fantastic news. My wife and I are looking forward to travelling on 373s again, if possible, when we go to Italy in April and return in June. They are so much smoother and more comfortable than the 374s....even with the new seats.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

You’ve got absolutely no chance, my friend ;)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
You’ve got absolutely no chance, my friend ;)
Sadly you are right
There's a legal bar on that*, but there would be nothing to stop anyone with enough money from arranging a charter run to Dolland's Moor and back. It might be difficult to sell enough seats to cover the cost, though.

*Something to do with the Channel Tunnel Security Act or whatever it's called.
Mind you, what would stop someone buying a ticket to Paris from getting off at Ashford? E.g they felt unwell or needed to dash home because of an emergency

43 302

Established Member
Are the Eurostar sets still in use with IZY, and will they continue to be once they return to service with ES next month?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sadly you are right

Mind you, what would stop someone buying a ticket to Paris from getting off at Ashford? E.g they felt unwell or needed to dash home because of an emergency
It would be a very expensive way of travelling to Ashford!

I suspect also that if anyone got off a Paris or Bruxelles train at Ashford, or was even seen to be trying to do so by the platform staff, that the train would immediately be held, evacuated and thoroughly searched causing a huge delay so they probably wouldn't be the most popular person with the other passengers either...

XAM2175

Established Member
Well, for a start you would technically be in France at that point, so I imagine that disembarkation would be strictly limited to genuine medical emergencies.

STINT47

I once got off at Lille when I had a ticket to Brussels and nothing happened or was said. I was going to Bruggevand decided to go via a diffrent route than through Brussels for a change.

DanNCL

Established Member
Are the Eurostar sets still in use with IZY, and will they continue to be once they return to service with ES next month?
Sadly not. IZY now uses PBA and PBKA sets out of the Thalys fleet.

It would be a very expensive way of travelling to Ashford!

I suspect also that if anyone got off a Paris or Bruxelles train at Ashford, or was even seen to be trying to do so by the platform staff, that the train would immediately be held, evacuated and thoroughly searched causing a huge delay so they probably wouldn't be the most popular person with the other passengers either...
Well, for a start you would technically be in France at that point, so I imagine that disembarkation would be strictly limited to genuine medical emergencies.
Passports now get stamped when entering Schengen from the UK so you'd have the issue of getting an entry stamp but no exit stamp, which can cause problems should you wish to visit the EU at a later date. It would also lead to a security alert, very specifically a bomb scare - the consequences from that would be severe, not only would you be extremely unpopular with your fellow passengers but you'd likely get into trouble for causing the security alert.

You wouldn't be able to decide to get off a plane for an "emergency at home" whilst it's queuing for takeoff, under a similar principle you can't get off Eurostar at Ebbsfleet or Ashford when heading towards Europe.

In theory Eurostar would be able to accept passengers boarding at Ebbsfleet if they wanted to (but not Ashford because of the shared arrivals/departures island platform there) heading to St Pancras, much like they accept passengers boarding at Lille for Brussels and at stations Lyon southwards heading towards Marseille, but for Ebbsfleet it's almost certainly much more hassle than it's worth which is why it's not done.

I once got off at Lille when I had a ticket to Brussels and nothing happened or was said. I was going to Bruggevand decided to go via a diffrent route than through Brussels for a change.
The issue that prevents early alighting at Ebbsfleet and Ashford from London is the Channel Tunnel. Once the train has passed through the tunnel, it's treated as a domestic train and passengers are free to get off at Lille (or if on an Amsterdam train, in Brussels and Rotterdam) if they wish, likewise if heading towards the UK, nothing to stop you from getting off early at Ashford or Ebbsfleet if you've got a ticket to St Pancras.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hello,

Paris services 9036/9063, 9040, 9008/9031 should be worked by Class 373 e300 sets from Monday. :)

Everything else will remain a Class 374 e320 booked service, including Brussels & Bourg.

43 302

Established Member
Hello,

Paris services 9036/9063, 9040, 9008/9031 should be worked by Class 373 e300 sets from Monday. :)

Everything else will remain a Class 374 e320 booked service, including Brussels & Bourg.
Letter O not the number 0 surely? But yes I have also heard those diagrams, plus others as and when required. Looking forward to a trip on them soon.

StephenHunter

Established Member
It's 9O36 headcode in the UK, but ES 9036 in France. Brussels/Amsterdam bound services are I/1. Eurostar use the 0 and 1 on their departure boards.

D6130

Established Member
Paris services 9036/9063, 9040, 9008/9031 should be worked by Class 373 e300 sets from Monday.
How come there are three workings in one direction and only two in the other? Surely that will lead to an imbalance in sets....or are they planning an overnight empty working in one direction?

43 302

Established Member
Just a note to say that spare power car 3999 is currently apart of set 3209/3210 for anyone that requires it. Considering a day trip to Paris this week personally!

Status
Not open for further replies.