• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar/Le Shuttle suspended 21•DMR•23 – wildcat strike

island

Veteran Member
Owing to wildcat strikes by GetLink staff in France, trains through the Channel Tunnel, both Eurostar and EuroTunnel Le Shuttle have suspended service through the tunnel since about midday.

This is going to be not very good for seasonal travel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Affected a few clients at work: fortunately not many. Wish they needed the mandatory 14-day notice like we do. I must say, the UK is very civilised in certain aspects of life, something I'm realising more as I get older.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Affected a few clients at work: fortunately not many. Wish they needed the mandatory 14-day notice like we do. I must say, the UK is very civilised in certain aspects of life, something I'm realising more as I get older.

What is the legal minimum or isn’t there one?

Fragezeichnen

They do have Minimum Service rules for train operator strikes, but presumably that either doesn't apply or is being ignored in this case.

geoffk

Established Member
They do have Minimum Service rules for train operator strikes, but presumably that either doesn't apply or is being ignored in this case.
The French are world champions at striking and rioting. Would it have been different if the UK government hadn't sold its share in Eurostar?

Bartsimho

According to Reuters it is over the size of Bonus payment. Rejecting the 1,000 euro bonus and asking for it to be tripled.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
According to Reuters it is over the size of Bonus payment. Rejecting the 1,000 euro bonus and asking for it to be tripled.

Very much an opportunism strike as they know at this time of the year, they'd probably get it.

Gloster

Established Member
A bizarre way of looking at things. Their "self respect" has disrupted the travel of tens of thousands of people four days before Christmas.

Yes, indeed. Everybody should always think about how any action would inconvenience others and refrain from anything that might annoy them. Especially those who exploit their employees to maximise their profits.

westv

Established Member
Yes, indeed. Everybody should always think about how any action would inconvenience others and refrain from anything that might annoy them. Especially those who exploit their employees to maximise their profits.
Giving no notice is the height of meanness.

Fragezeichnen

Yes, indeed. Everybody should always think about how any action would inconvenience others and refrain from anything that might annoy them.
They could cause equal financial damage to Eurotunnel, with far less social damage by striking on any other day than immediately before the most important Europe wide family-orientated holiday of the year. Notably, the GDL union in Germany pledged not to Strike over Christmas despite having a successful ballot with 97% voting for unlimited strike action.

Especially those who exploit their employees to maximise their profits.
I would love to hear what the size of a Christmas Bonus has to do with "exploitation". If the workforce had concerns about their working conditions no doubt we would have heard and felt about it already. They want a bribe not to strike, and probably they'll get one. That's all it is.

Edit: The strike is over, according to the BBC. Eurostar services to resume tomorrow.

Last edited:

rvdborgt

The tunnel would open again around 22:30 but no more Eurostar today, who would have liked to operate a few trains still but probably couldn't get the infrastructure managers to keep the high speed lines open a bit longer.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I would imagine that today’s (Fri 22 Dec) Eurostar departures would already be fully booked. How can an entire’s day’s worth of passengers be re-accommodated? Sending best wishes and crossed fingers for anyone reading this who has been affected.

Dougal2345

I would imagine that today’s (Fri 22 Dec) Eurostar departures would already be fully booked. How can an entire’s day’s worth of passengers be re-accommodated? Sending best wishes and crossed fingers for anyone reading this who has been affected.
What makes you think anyone here cares about that? The purpose of the railway is not to get passengers from A to B, but to act as a large-scale cash-generator for the most ruthless of railway workers.

They've presumably got hundreds of extra euros in their pockets now; the affected will have lost tens of thousands in total.

"Respect" to the brave Getlink workers for their shining victory! An example to us all!

popeter45

if they cant add on a extra service or two today i suspect the other option will be bussing people on le shuttle

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To be fair to Eurostar they've done probably as well as they can here - adding a few extra services in each direction between now and Christmas Eve and making all of today/tomorrow's services super expensive for new travellers to book, to maximise the chance of passengers from yesterday being able to move onto these new services.

Communications, at least on social media, were under-par again, however (though since they outsourced Eurostar support to a third party in the mid-2010s, it was always heading that way).

island

Veteran Member
They have put on a few extra services today, tomorrow, and Sunday.

I'm aware from other socials that many passengers have self-helped by booking themselves coaches, flights or ferries.

lkoroes

I was affected by this. Travelling with Interrail, the staff at STP were absolutely and horrendously useless, until I made myself clear for the 10th time that Eurostar's booking management system cannot touch SNCB-made interrail reservations, which is when one of them rebooked me to travel on Saturday morning. The annoying bit is that I had a connecting Paris - Wien nightjet reservation, which I couldn't rebook for Saturday, so I'm looking forward to doing Paris - Lille - Tournai - Brussels - Köln - Hannover - Wien on various TERs and ICEs.

rvdborgt

I was affected by this. Travelling with Interrail, the staff at STP were absolutely and horrendously useless, until I made myself clear for the 10th time that Eurostar's booking management system cannot touch SNCB-made interrail reservations, which is when one of them rebooked me to travel on Saturday morning. The annoying bit is that I had a connecting Paris - Wien nightjet reservation, which I couldn't rebook for Saturday, so I'm looking forward to doing Paris - Lille - Tournai - Brussels - Köln - Hannover - Wien on various TERs and ICEs.
There are still seats available today, see the Eurostar website. Even in 2nd class, but even if only 1st would have been left, that wouldn't matter and availability of pass holder seats doesn't matter either in such cases. If you want, you can still travel today, you "just" have to convince Eurostar staff to do their job and rebook you in any free seat.
Take a screenshot of availability today and keep it in case you have any extra expenses as a result of Eurostar not rebooking you on an earlier train.

Trainguy34

I gained £5 from this whole thing thanks to Folkestone being clogged up so giving my workmate travel advice (Bus 17 or Train via Dover) came in very handy, saved him at least an hour!

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can change seats on eurostar.com but to change train you have to go back to b-europe.com and pay, I believe. So in disruption you need a human being.
Not entirely true - you can change train (paying the associated amendment fee, and only on trains with Interrail availability) but it makes it clear that this makes it a Eurostar-owned booking and you then can't do anything with it via the original party. So presumably in disruption, Eurostar have a mechanism to take over the booking entirely, which then allows modification.

grinderx

many passengers have self-helped by booking themselves coaches, flights or ferries.

Eurostar sent texts and emails whilst many passengers were already in london and so ended up walking into chaos. There were hundreds of people panicking to find flights on their phones all over the concourse. The police outnumbered the eurostar staff.

Eurostar were really unclear about what to do. Were we supposed to wait? Go home? Arrange our own plans?

They could have at least been clear about refunds, especially if people found a way into France but didn't know if their return ticket would be valid if they cancelled.

Would it have been too much effort to put passengers on southeastern down to Dover and negotiated to get people onto ferries for sncf to take over in calais?

I'm told this is too difficult. Surely it must have been considered at some point in the last thirty years.

I learnt two things from this.

1. Don't rely on Eurostar.

2. Don't then Google eurostar as you'll find the investigation report from the snow incident a decade ago where they literally left passengers in car wagons and then evacuated the wrong train.

Veteran Member
Would it have been too much effort to put passengers on southeastern down to Dover and negotiated to get people onto ferries for sncf to take over in calais?

I'm told this is too difficult. Surely it must have been considered at some point in the last thirty years.
And unfortunately in the last 30 years ferry companies have reduced their foot passenger capacity to less than half a Eurostar a day :)

I imagine the ferries were also full of diverted Shuttle users.

RT4038

Established Member
Eurostar sent texts and emails whilst many passengers were already in london and so ended up walking into chaos. There were hundreds of people panicking to find flights on their phones all over the concourse. The police outnumbered the eurostar staff.
It was a wildcat strike. Where would Eurostar have suddenly found a lot of extra staff to cater for this? Not sure how Eurostar could have anticipated this and sent texts and emails before they knew it was happening?

Eurostar were really unclear about what to do. Were we supposed to wait? Go home? Arrange our own plans?
I don't suppose Eurostar knew what to do either. It was a wildcat strike - will it be over in one or twenty hours? Unknown. Don't forget that the strikers want this effect on the passengers as leverage to blackmail the employers (however indirectly). They don't care.

Yes, it is too difficult. It is not an option. South Eastern, the ferries and SNCF are unable to cope with this, which would just lead to even more complaint if they tried. I am sure it has been considered and realised that it is just not an option, so forget it.

I learnt two things from this.

1. Don't rely on Eurostar.

2. Don't then Google eurostar as you'll find the investigation report from the snow incident a decade ago where they literally left passengers in car wagons and then evacuated the wrong train.
You can't rely on any public transport. It is one of the reasons people are wedded to their cars. But don't single out Eurostar - the airlines, LeShuttle, the ferries are just as susceptible to such disruption (for this and a myriad of other causes) and you just have to put the journey on hold or find another way, worrying about refunds later. Annoying as it is. The operators simply don't have the resources to individually help thousands of stranded customers at once.