• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar passport control update

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Eurostar at St Pancras has had a bit of reconfiguration of the passport checkpoint. There are three sets of French passport checks, from left to right as you look at the entrance. The “left” and “middle” are “all passports” queues with agents, and the “right” – so behind the Carte Blanche/Business Premier entrance – has four automatic passport gates for EU passports only and one manual desk.

EU passport users (regardless of class of travel) aged 18+ may go to the automatic passport gates after security and bypass the usually long queues for the normal desks.

Whichever way you go, you will also have your passport swiped by Mitie contract staff collecting advance passenger information on behalf of Eurostar to send to the UK Border Force.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I hold an EU passport (from when the U.K. was part of the EU) but i’m Not an EU citizen since the U.K. left.

Can I go to the automatic passport gates?

busestrains

On Moderation
I hold an EU passport (from when the U.K. was part of the EU) but i’m Not an EU citizen since the U.K. left.

Can I go to the automatic passport gates?
No because it is no longer an EU passport. It might still say EU on it but it no longer has the status of an EU passport and is no longer considered an EU passport. It is now exactly the same as the new blue passport. You must follow the same rules as anyone with a new blue passport.

popeter45

are we sure its just EU and not like most airports and its EU + UK who can use the gates?

Class800

Established Member
No because it is no longer an EU passport. It might still say EU on it but it no longer has the status of an EU passport and is no longer considered an EU passport. It is now exactly the same as the new blue passport. You must follow the same rules as anyone with a new blue passport.
What about UK residents with a second Irish passport? Should be OK.

TFN

During a busy time, I was directed to the e-gates and had my passport stamped by French Police at the end. (UK passport, couple of months ago).

I guess if the staff let you join the queue, it's worth trying

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
are we sure its just EU and not like most airports and its EU + UK who can use the gates?
What do you mean most airports? EU countries don't allow UK passport holders to use their e-gates at the present and the checks at St Pancras are for French entry.

popeter45

What do you mean most airports? EU countries don't allow UK passport holders to use their e-gates at the present and the checks at St Pancras are for French entry.
schiphol 100% does, i used it in august and they directed UK people to use the e-gates, you get stamped after that but they dont seprate EU and UK

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
schiphol 100% does, i used it in august and they directed UK people to use the e-gates, you get stamped after that but they dont seprate EU and UK
That isn't using e-gates entirely however as you rightly point out a stamp is required. The point is that "most airports" do not allow UK passport holders to use e-gates and it is a significant minority.

I understand what you're saying however, as some countries do allow UK passport holders to use e-gates, although in the EU you'd still need a stamp.

popeter45

That isn't using e-gates entirely however as you rightly point out a stamp is required. The point is that "most airports" do not allow UK passport holders to use e-gates and it is a significant minority.
i dont see how thats "not using an e-gate"?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
i dont see how thats "not using an e-gate"?
I don't see how it's "most airports" either, as it is a very small number of airports and countries worldwide that allow use of e-gates for UK passport holders. There are airports in Spain and Portugal also that let you go to the e-gate queue, but you still need a stamp. Australia is one such example that allows UK passport holders to use e-gates, but they are in very much a minority.

popeter45

I don't see how it's "most airports" either, as it is a very small number of airports and countries worldwide that allow use of e-gates for UK passport holders. There are airports in Spain and Portugal also that let you go to the e-gate queue, but you still need a stamp.
worldwide a very small number of airports and countries worldwide that allow use of e-gate in general, i digress with saying what i was meaning that just cause it labled EU doesnt mean 100% UK isnt also allowed

Chester1

Established Member
What about UK residents with a second Irish passport? Should be OK.

As long as your travelling on that that passport or passport card or an EU ID if you have recently lived elsewhere in EU. I am sure someone will turn up with just a British passport and wonder why they aren't being treated as Irish....

Its good that some alterations are being made. Its going to be hectic at St Pancras next year while EES is settling in and a large proportion of travellers need to be photographed and fingerprinted for first entry.

philg999

No it doesn’t. I commute from Schiphol to LCY and back every week. You can use the e-gates to leave (they stamp it after) but never to enter. Early next year they are rolling out RTP-NL which will allow British (+ Japan, Singapore, Aus, us, Canada, south Korea) citizens *who are residents of NL* to use the e-gates to enter the country.

Class800

Established Member
As long as your travelling on that that passport or passport card or an EU ID if you have recently lived elsewhere in EU. I am sure someone will turn up with just a British passport and wonder why they aren't being treated as Irish....

Its good that some alterations are being made. Its going to be hectic at St Pancras next year while EES is settling in and a large proportion of travellers need to be photographed and fingerprinted for first entry.
Of course need to bring the Irish passport along - I almost always travel on it, and when I don't, it's done strategically, such as if flying to Belfast

Class800

Established Member
It is definitely not open to UK passport holders at the current time.
Or those travelling on UK passports? I can't see how I would not be able to use it using my Irish passport, even though I am also a British passport holder

barbette165

At the end of October, I travelled to Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. We were all directed to the e-gates, but the passports were being rejected. The member of staff then said "Please wait a moment, while we reconfigure the gates to non-EU mode".

island

Veteran Member
Or those travelling on UK passports? I can't see how I would not be able to use it using my Irish passport, even though I am also a British passport holder
Yes, you can use it with an EU passport.

scragend

At the end of October, I travelled to Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. We were all directed to the e-gates, but the passports were being rejected. The member of staff then said "Please wait a moment, while we reconfigure the gates to non-EU mode".
That's interesting, because I was just thinking of my recent experience of Gran Canaria. On arrival I came down the escalator towards border control, there were e-gates on the right and a manual desk straight ahead with a queue. I assumed I would have to join the queue, but then I noticed people whom I had seen on the flight (and knew to be British) going through the e-gates. I asked a member of staff and he replied "British passports to the e-gates, EU and families join the queue". Which suited me fine!

He must then have thought that he'd better make that known more widely so he stood at the bottom of the steps and repeated the same message as more and more people came down. A few people who had been standing in the queue left it and made their way over to the e-gates.

I thought it was a bit odd that EU passport holders were being directed to the manual desk; I didn't know the gates could be configured to EU or non-EU mode. Presumably because there were a couple of flights from the UK just arrived, they thought it was more efficient to send the bulk of the people through the e-gates.

Cloud Strife

Established Member

EES is actually quite flexible: for instance, it offers the ability for travellers to use a kiosk before approaching the border control to register their data. The current plan is to make as many self-service faclities available as possible, so that the registration will take place away from the border control.

The major issue and problem is at the land borders. The EU has recognised that implementing this properly at the land border is going to be a huge challenge, because in some cases, there simply isn't the space or capacity to register every single person travelling.
I thought it was a bit odd that EU passport holders were being directed to the manual desk; I didn't know the gates could be configured to EU or non-EU mode.

The thing with the gates is that they can be used by anyone with a biometric identity document, it's just a conscious decision by Member States to allow (or refuse) the use of them by non-EU citizens. The actual process is identical for both EU and non-EU citizens, with the sole issue that non-EU citizens need to get a stamp afterwards.

The reason why most borders don't allow non-EU citizens to use the gates isn't technological, but rather that they want to ensure that the travellers can be questioned and directed (if needs be) to a secondary inspection.

For what it's worth, most e-gates also only accept their own national ID cards. For instance, I can use Polish gates with my ID card, but I can't use them in Germany.

Chester1

Established Member
EES is actually quite flexible: for instance, it offers the ability for travellers to use a kiosk before approaching the border control to register their data. The current plan is to make as many self-service faclities available as possible, so that the registration will take place away from the border control.

The major issue and problem is at the land borders. The EU has recognised that implementing this properly at the land border is going to be a huge challenge, because in some cases, there simply isn't the space or capacity to register every single person travelling.

The thing with the gates is that they can be used by anyone with a biometric identity document, it's just a conscious decision by Member States to allow (or refuse) the use of them by non-EU citizens. The actual process is identical for both EU and non-EU citizens, with the sole issue that non-EU citizens need to get a stamp afterwards.

The reason why most borders don't allow non-EU citizens to use the gates isn't technological, but rather that they want to ensure that the travellers can be questioned and directed (if needs be) to a secondary inspection.

For what it's worth, most e-gates also only accept their own national ID cards. For instance, I can use Polish gates with my ID card, but I can't use them in Germany.

Hasn't Portugal created a third lane which is predominantly used by Brits? Once EES has been rolled out it might become common for airports with a high proportion of British travellers. The French government would probably be the last in the whole EU to make changes to accommodate Brits, so I doubt it will happen with Eurostar.

Its worth noting that EES and ETIAS will cause problems next year and probably into early 2024 and then in 2025 UK ETA will launch, creating the same problem for northbound Eurostar journeys. I wonder how the UK will handle it. Three queues might be best option i.e. British + Irish, ETA nationalities and people with visas. Giving special treatment to Irish citizens compared with other EU citizens is a rather odd situation but I guess its necessary until there is a united Ireland.

STINT47

Do passport and or custom checks take place on arrival?

I last used Eurostar over ten years ago and remember being able to walk straight of the train at St Pancras and thinking it's much more pleasant than arriving at an airport.

Now that Brexit has happened has much changed?

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Hasn't Portugal created a third lane which is predominantly used by Brits? Once EES has been rolled out it might become common for airports with a high proportion of British travellers. The French government would probably be the last in the whole EU to make changes to accommodate Brits, so I doubt it will happen with Eurostar.

Its worth noting that EES and ETIAS will cause problems next year and probably into early 2024 and then in 2025 UK ETA will launch, creating the same problem for northbound Eurostar journeys. I wonder how the UK will handle it. Three queues might be best option i.e. British + Irish, ETA nationalities and people with visas. Giving special treatment to Irish citizens compared with other EU citizens is a rather odd situation but I guess its necessary until there is a united Ireland.
France already accepts UK nationals using e-gates.

island

Veteran Member
Do passport and or custom checks take place on arrival?

I last used Eurostar over ten years ago and remember being able to walk straight of the train at St Pancras and thinking it's much more pleasant than arriving at an airport.

Now that Brexit has happened has much changed?
On Eurostar, passport controls are performed before joining the train*; customs checks are on the honour system on arrival with random inspections (if the destination customs authority have bothered to staff the arrivals channel.
France already accepts UK nationals using e-gates.
It was not accepting them at St. Pancras on Saturday.

*Passengers on train 9057 from Marne-la-Vallée–Chessy to London go through French exit checks before boarding but clear UK passport control after arrival, as it is not deemed cost-effective to staff a UK Border Force checkpoint at Marne-la-Vallée–Chessy station for 4tpw.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
On Eurostar, passport controls are performed before joining the train*; customs checks are on the honour system on arrival with random inspections (if the destination customs authority have bothered to staff the arrivals channel.

It was not accepting them at St. Pancras on Saturday.

*Passengers on train 9057 from Marne-la-Vallée–Chessy to London go through French exit checks before boarding but clear UK passport control after arrival, as it is not deemed cost-effective to staff a UK Border Force checkpoint at Marne-la-Vallée–Chessy station for 4tpw.
I went through them in the summer. The issue is passports still need stamping manually after passing through the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.