• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
These look to be the diagrams from next week:

Sunday

1:
ECS Canton to Swansea
10:32 Swansea-Manchester Picc
15:30 Manchester Picc-Swansea
Ecs to Canton

2:
08:32 Crewe-Manchester Picc
09:30 Manchester Pic to Swansea
14:55 Swansea to Manchester Picc
Ecs to Crewe

Monday-Friday

1:
04:54 Crewe to Cardiff Central
08:49 Cardiff Central-Manchestet Pic
12:30 Manchester Pic-Cardiff Central
16:49 Cardiff Central-Manchester Pic
Ecs to Crewe

2:
Ecs to Manchester
06:27 Manchester Pic to Cardiff Central
12:49 Cardiff Central Manchester Pic
16:30 Manchester Pic to Swansea
Ecs to Canton

3:
04:35 Cardiff Central- Manchester Picc
08:30 Manchester Pic-Cardiff Central
17:14 Cardiff Central-Holyhead

4:
05:33 Holyhead-Cardiff Central
10:52 Cardiff Central-Manchester Pic
14:30 Manchester Pic- Cardiff Central
18:55 Cardiff Central-Manchester Pic
Ecs to Crewe

1W13/1V38/1W61/1V62 are booked 2x150 until the next Mk4 diagram can be brought In

Not sure of Saturdays yet

Phil from Mon

What is the reason for losing the midday and evening Holyhead to Cardiff, and morning and lunchtime back? Is it lack of demand or lack of stock, and if the latter will it be permanent? I will really miss my lunches!

Anonymous10

Established Member
What is the reason for losing the midday and evening Holyhead to Cardiff, and morning and lunchtime back? Is it lack of demand or lack of stock, and if the latter will it be permanent? I will really miss my lunches!
Lack of stock as they're being used on the Manchester services they night return if an extra set can be brought in as hd08.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if there's any chance of a MkIV set being fixed today on Canton ready for 1W96 1714 Cardiff to Holyhead?
150280 started that diagram this morning on the 0648 Cardiff Holyhead.

It's planned to go into service on that yes.

Should be 67017 & HD01
Cancelled "due to a problem at the depot".
This is normally a very full train from Cardiff to Hereford.

OrangeJuice

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ouch! Hope you got on the move OK :)

I like the sound of some of those diagrams next week, the first northbound from Hereford being a 67 intrigues me!

sd0733

Established Member
Any indication which the most vulnerable diagram is?

Nice to see a direct Swansea service included on a weekday.
Depends where the issue is. If its at Crewe Diagram 1 will generally get knocked out as its an out and back. Seeing as only 1 set at Canton and Holyhead if anything happens at either of those depots then it's effectively game over for that diagram.

sd0733

Established Member
Yep squeezed onto the 1749, left people behind at Newport and now in a taxi from Shrewsbury onto the Cambrian coast as had missed the bus connecting into the final train
Apologies. It was due to come off before so the info was in good faith. But the DVT developed a fault at the last minute hence there weren't even any units by then to sub it.

1V91 in the morning also cancelled as a result.

OrangeJuice

Apologies. It was due to come off before so the info was in good faith. But the DVT developed a fault at the last minute hence there weren't even any units by then to sub it.

No worries, understand these things happen. Actually arrived at the same time thanks to helpful staff at Shrewsbury.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's very poor to cancel the morning service throughout like that.
The usual backup is a unit from Chester (there being several early Holyhead-Chester services including VT), so planned journeys are more or less maintained.
But not today.

D6130

Established Member
Are Assembly Members for North Wales and Anglesey aware of the long standing problems with these services....or have they simply stopped using them?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I am having my first trip on a MK4. 1430 Manchester to Cardiff. I decided as I had an open ticket to avoid another 2 car Sprinter. Yesterday I had to suffer a 150 from Neath to Manchester which was overcrowded and late.

The MK4 is fairly well loaded but not uncomfortably so. This is why all services on this route need at least 4 carriages in my opinion.

I'm hoping it's in time to change to the 1804 at Cardiff.
Although a MK4 set is only 2.5 coaches of standard class due to the underused buffet/kitchen and fresh air carrying first class

Jez

Established Member
Although a MK4 set is only 2.5 coaches of standard class due to the underused buffet/kitchen and fresh air carrying first class
Yes that's true. I assume the plan is for them to go to 5 coaches with 3.5 standard.

robert thomas

First class has been well patronised on the last half dozen services I've used with a fair proportion dining - at leat 12 dining out of 20+ last time I used them

Jez

Established Member
I don't think you can buy the hot meals (burgers, nachos, etc) from the trolley....and of course the first class dining is a whole different ball game!
I didnt see any sign of any hot meals, burgers etc. It was just stuff from the trolley hot drinks cold drinks crisps and snacks. I heard someone asking for sandwiches and they didn't have any.

D6130

Established Member
I didnt see any sign of any hot meals, burgers etc. It was just stuff from the trolley hot drinks cold drinks crisps and snacks. I heard someone asking for sandwiches and they didn't have any.
Unfortunately you must have hit it on a bad day then. :(

JakeMurphy

what happened with set HD04? Seemed to have only done 1V33 today. Presuming it’s just set positioning?

MP393

what happened with set HD04? Seemed to have only done 1V33 today. Presuming it’s just set positioning?

It was supposed to, and attempted to work 1W93 1125 Cardiff - Holyhead but due to several track circuit failures in the Ebbw Jn area it returned to Canton.