• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exams certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJP78

On Moderation
Can anyone who's recently been through a train driver recruitment process (ideally GWR) confirm if they were required to bring copies of exam certificates with them to interview

I cannot locate my certificates and have been quoted £50 for replacements and I don't want to waste my time or money if the TOC's carry out separate qualification checks

This is purely hypothetical but would like to know so I can get my house in order should a vacancy arise

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gemz91

I've never been asked to show exam certificates before (but I've never worked for GWR).

I'd not worry, unless they ask for them, then get replacement ones.

Jon1930

They never ask to see them. I know on the drivers course they now do functional skills maths, english and IT but if you can produce a certificate that shows you have passed then you dont have to do functional skills.

Busyboy89

I’ve recently done the process with EMR and LNER, and lucky enough to pass and get a start date (I took the first job offered to me So I didn’t go further then the DMI For LNER) But both company’s asked me to send copy’s of gcse certificates or equivalent In the early stages of the process.
I can’t say for 100% that the toc you are applying For will But defiantly the above two TOCs do.

hope this helps

Comfy

If the job advert says you need them qualifications then I would get them. If you do a driver apprenticeship then you need to produce them or take the functional skills tests on top of your classroom learning. Having recently sat functional skills English this year I would say pay for certificate because its 3 exams just to pass the English tests.

Two different tocs I've looked at recently insist on holding the qualifications right from the start or you won't be progressed with your application. I know for LNER they had to prove their qualifications.

Stigy

Established Member
Can anyone who's recently been through a train driver recruitment process (ideally GWR) confirm if they were required to bring copies of exam certificates with them to interview

I cannot locate my certificates and have been quoted £50 for replacements and I don't want to waste my time or money if the TOC's carry out separate qualification checks

This is purely hypothetical but would like to know so I can get my house in order should a vacancy arise
This only applies to Apprenticeships as you need GCSE grades A to C in Maths and English ideally, and the functional skills assessments are the equivalent of these.

GWR don’t require GCSEs for their trainees as it’s not a trainee driver apprenticeship (unless they’ve started apprenticeships within the last year). More TOCs/FOCs are heading this way though so I wouldn’t be surprised if GWR go down this route in the future.

DJP78

On Moderation
Wow, some fantastic responses. Thank you so much for all your comments

It's really annoying as I passed my English, Maths, Science grades B-C. Based on above replies, I'll wait and see what (if I ever get as far as job offer lol!) they ask for.

Thanks all

Lee Rambo

They never ask to see them. I know on the drivers course they now do functional skills maths, english and IT but if you can produce a certificate that shows you have passed then you dont have to do functional skills.
Are you put straight forward for the test or is there some help yo make sure you are at a good level before taking it?

Lee Rambo

If the job advert says you need them qualifications then I would get them. If you do a driver apprenticeship then you need to produce them or take the functional skills tests on top of your classroom learning. Having recently sat functional skills English this year I would say pay for certificate because its 3 exams just to pass the English tests.

Two different tocs I've looked at recently insist on holding the qualifications right from the start or you won't be progressed with your application. I know for LNER they had to prove their qualifications.
Do you get any learning support if you are not quite at test level?

Comfy

Do you get any learning support if you are not quite at test level?
I dont think so to be honest. If you take them in your own time prior to starting a job you can use a company that includes a tutor. The person I know who did them while in training was expected to complete English , maths and ict in one week.

Matt85

4 of us doing functional skills at the minute because none of us have certificates!

Status
Not open for further replies.