• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy: you can modify any train design or livery in any way you would like.

Which part of a train would you like to change most?

• Livery

• Engine/Transmission

• Vehicles (Length, Design)

• Interior Layout (Seating, Toilets, Buffet/Shop)

• Formation/Multiple Working Ability

• Coupling Mechanism

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
i must say i cant think of a change id make to the tfw 150s

Scrap them? :)

They're already 2+2 airline seated, so the main thing I'd change is to remove one row from each section and improve legroom as presently it's worse than a 153. Though it might be costly as you'd also have to move underseat equipment boxes.

Might be cheaper to do it by fitting thinner backed seats instead of the Chapmans. As you might expect, Grammer E3000 would be my recommendation.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Scrap them? :)

They're already 2+2 airline seated, so the main thing I'd change is to remove one row from each section and improve legroom as presently it's worse than a 153. Though it might be costly as you'd also have to move underseat equipment boxes.

Might be cheaper to do it by fitting thinner backed seats instead of the Chapmans. As you might expect, Grammer E3000 would be my recommendation.
true there is a pack of leg room

greatvoyager

Established Member
I can. Quieter engines, and seats I can actually fit into with my very long legs.
For me, the seat is more important than legroom. I’m over 6 foot and also have long legs, and have spent most of my life fitting in bus seats so can deal with not much legroom. No point having lots of leg space if the seat is bad.
Quieter engines would be nice though.

Anonymous10

Established Member
For me, the seat is more important than legroom. I’m over 6 foot and also have long legs, and have spent most of my life fitting in bus seats so can deal with not much legroom. No point having lots of leg space if the seat is bad.
Quieter engines would be nice though.
honestly im not bothered by engines but thats largely as i never see anything that isnt a pacer or sprinter regularly

py_megapixel

Established Member
No point having lots of leg space if the seat is bad.
Conversely, there's no point in having a good seat if people can't fit in it!

As someone who can't comfortably fit their legs into the airline seat on a 150 at all, I can wholeheartedly say that I'd much rather sit on a horribly uncomfortable, but more spacious, seat, that what is there currently.
Don't forget that how cramped you feel can affect your perception of the seat comfort.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Conversely, there's no point in having a good seat if people can't fit in it!

As someone who can't comfortably fit their legs into the airline seat on a 150 at all, I can wholeheartedly say that I'd much rather sit on a horribly uncomfortable, but more spacious, seat, that what is there currently.
Don't forget that how cramped you feel can affect your perception of the seat comfort.
I’m used to poor leg room, so reallly not an issue for me. I struggle to fit in most seats on the network, but as long as it provides support for my back, I’m fine.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I’m used to poor leg room, so reallly not an issue for me. I struggle to fit in most seats on the network, but as long as it provides support for my back, I’m fine.
I have extremely long legs though, to the point where for me there would be no point in replacing the seats on the 150s with anything but ultra-thin ironing boards as it would be impossible for me to sit in them without jamming my knee hard up against the back of the seat. I find this to be extremely uncomfortable, regardless of what my back is leaning on. I don't usually have the same issue in bus seats, especially not modern ones

That said, everyone has different priorities.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Hear hear. I don’t have anything against the trains, but they’re so old and loud now, and the open and close windows are so old fashioned now.
when all you can say is they are old and their windows are old fashioned as to why you dislike them you know your clutching straws the windows are no different to a bus window on commuter routes thats fine

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
when all you can say is they are old and their windows are old fashioned as to why you dislike them you know your clutching straws the windows are no different to a bus window on commuter routes thats fine
I'm not just saying they're old fashioned because they look awful, but because they're there in place of air conditioning and turn the train into an oven in summer. I also dislike them because they're extremely loud and rattling, and two carriages long - very short carriages.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I have extremely long legs though, to the point where for me there would be no point in replacing the seats on the 150s with anything but ultra-thin ironing boards as it would be impossible for me to sit in them without jamming my knee hard up against the back of the seat. I find this to be extremely uncomfortable, regardless of what my back is leaning on. I don't usually have the same issue in bus seats, especially not modern ones

That said, everyone has different priorities.
Fair point, the problem is that because everyone is different it’s unlikely a seating layout will ever be perfect for every passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.