• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Clothing range

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Just waiting for the inevitable: “I don’t give a toss about brands. A load of millennial snobbishness“ from a couple of people :rolleyes::lol:

Do you have a favourite clothing label? I feel that many people these days have a particular favourite for whatever reason, maybe because it suits them, goes well with their outfits, costs a reasonably low amount, etc.

My personal weakness is The North Face, and particularly their puffer jackets. I think they’re really comfortable, quite stylish, very warm and durable and suit most of the clothes I wear. I currently have three of their 2022 puffer jacket coats (one white, one turquoise and one thinner black one) and a puffer gillet (sleeveless coat for on top of hoodies).

I have a vast collection of caps, beanies, tops, tracksuits, hoodies and even a snood from TNF too, which all suit my taste and work well as an outfit.

517C4871-0BAA-415C-BC07-C3EA3DCB274A.jpeg97937A52-8E30-4610-9577-FD1AE29EC348.jpeg
This is my current favourite, the Himalayan Down Parka Gardenia White, which I couldn’t resist buying during my browse earlier today. Another great thing I love about TNF is they give student discounts, so as a University student the price was reduced from £350 to just £315, making it irresistible :lol:

The Turquoise Nuptse was my previous favourite, but I’ve had it for a few months now and need a major change :lol: A slightly less subtle colour, but it stands out I guess. This was a mere £250 as I got it in the sale, suppose it pays to wait until the end of the season.

2207218F-1FE0-4CDC-95FB-0F7DD49AD49F.jpeg

I also wear a lot of Zanetti Canada, and (for more casual things like the gym) Nike

Right, let’s hear what clothing range you all like :D
(and what your favourite pieces/colours are?)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Your discounted jacket alone at £315 is probably more than my entire annual clothing budget. But since you ask, most of my sartorial elegance is sourced from Go Outdoors or Screwfix (a) because I spend a lot of spare time walking and (b) because I run a smallholding

trebor79

Established Member
Brook Taverner for shirts and coats/jackets.
Spoke for trousers.

Occasional Barbour/Ben Sherman/Ted Baker.

I try to buy quality. I have a winter coat from Brook Taverner that is nearly 15 years old and still looks as good as new except the leather on the piping is starting to come away. Wasn't cheap, but cheaper than buying 6 or 7 cheap coats that only last 2 or 3 years.

Same with shoes, I never buy cheap shoes as they aren't comfortable, usually have lots of man made stuff in the sole which gives me sweaty feet and athlete's foot, and they fall to bits.

Iskra

Established Member
Your discounted jacket alone at £315 is probably more than my entire annual clothing budget. But since you ask, most of my sartorial elegance is sourced from Go Outdoors or Screwfix (a) because I spend a lot of spare time walking and (b) because I run a smallholding
Yes, but he’s a student so doesn’t live in economic reality. I say that as someone who enjoyed those days too!

I like The North Face as I do quite a bit of hiking/outdoors stuff, I only have one of their more expensive jackets though and that is enough. I think it is a brand that you have to be increasingly careful with as it’s becoming a little too popular however.

For casual wear I wear a lot of Adidas Originals, Champion, Nike, Levis, Columbia, Stussy, Fear of God. For t shirts I can be quite happy with just cheap stuff from ASOS or Abercrombie in the sales. The pandemic seemed to make me dress more casually for some reason!

More formally I like Fred Perry, Ted Baker (less so more recently!) and Paul Smith Jeans. But as I get older and more value conscious, I find myself buying less of this kind of stuff and I very rarely pay for price for anything these days.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
I’d love to know what you mean by this
I have edited my comment slightly, so check that. But also, younger people in general pay less tax, NI etc on earnings, don’t pay council tax, tend to live in government-funded pre-paid all-inclusive (bills-wise) accommodation which you pay for much later on in life, are more likely to live at home with parents and/or receive parental financial support, tend not to have dependents etc.

I’m not saying any of these things are wrong, but they are something of a financial bubble which artificially inflates ones disposable income, especially if you can get a decent part-time job.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Another Spoke trouser customer here. I like the fit.

Each pair of Nike trainers lasts me a couple of years, which I think is reasonable as I’ll regularly walk five miles a day in them. I agree that cheap footwear is a false economy.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I do like North Face. Personally big fan of Hollister, and do like my shoes as well. Nike Vapourmax's being my favorite.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I have edited my comment slightly, so check that. But also, younger people in general pay less tax, NI etc on earnings, don’t pay council tax, tend to live in government-funded pre-paid all-inclusive (bills-wise) accommodation which you pay for much later on in life, are more likely to live at home with parents and/or receive parental financial support, tend not to have dependents etc.

I’m not saying any of these things are wrong, but they are something of a financial bubble which artificially inflates ones disposable income, especially if you can get a decent part-time job.
Sure, but don’t assume those are all necessary my circumstances just because they are those of many students.

I do like North Face. Personally big fan of Hollister, and do like my shoes as well. Nike Vapourmax's being my favorite.
Hollister used to be very popular when I was in the later years of secondary school.

Iskra

Established Member
Sure, but don’t assume those are all necessary my circumstances just because they are those of many students.

Hollister used to be very popular when I was in the later years of secondary school.
I’m not, that’s why I gave a broad range of non-specific examples.

Darandio

Established Member
I wouldn't regard myself as someone who goes for expensive gear. I'm quite happy with Primark stuff for dossing around the house, equally for jeans and shirts. For sports gear to wear out and about I buy a bit of Mackenzie stuff from JD Sports. Quite regularly browse Peacocks as well for casual stuff.

I generally spend more on footwear and always have a pair of Jordans but never the traditional 'One' line, more something like a black Max Aura. For work I exclusively use Skechers, cannot fault them when being on my feet all day.

450.emu

For me, its buying and selling Highland Wear, kilts, sporrans jackets. A decent wool kilt can fetch up to £450, but bargains are to be had on ebay for around £150. Not to everyone's choice, but aside from Canada Goose and North Face coats and Levis jeans, my sartorial choice for functions if the occasion calls to dress up a little like a wedding or other formal event :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1660070251426.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660070251426.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 31

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don't give a toss about brands. A load of millennial snobbishness... ;)

Seriously, though, I have never been that bothered about branded clothing, but at school there was an unwritten list of brands that were taboo and you only found out what was on the list when you wore it.

Having said that, the comfiest jeans I've ever worn was a pair of Levi 501s that I obtained in the late 90s. They were clearly seen as valuable because they got nicked when our flat was burgled.

Other than that, I'm not overly bothered. I'm price conscious and I'm more than happy to wear George, Tu or F&F from the respective supermarkets.

I'm more inclined to use brands for footwear more than anything else. My last pair of walking shoes were Karrimor and when they needed replacing I bought from exactly the same line again, although I went for a different colour.

Iskra

Established Member

Seriously, though, I have never been that bothered about branded clothing, but at school there was an unwritten list of brands that were taboo and you only found out what was on the list when you wore it.

Having said that, the comfiest jeans I've ever worn was a pair of Levi 501s that I obtained in the late 90s. They were clearly seen as valuable because they got nicked when our flat was burgled.

Other than that, I'm not overly bothered. I'm price conscious and I'm more than happy to wear George, Tu or F&F from the respective supermarkets.

I'm more inclined to use brands for footwear more than anything else. My last pair of walking shoes were Karrimor and when they needed replacing I bought from exactly the same line again, although I went for a different colour.
The ultimate fashion compliment :D

Howardh

Established Member
me too, if it has a "name" on it I do my best to avoid. If someone wants me to wear Adidas/Nike/River Island etc then they should pay me to wear them, after all I'm advertising their goods...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I wouldn't regard myself as someone who goes for expensive gear. I'm quite happy with Primark stuff for dossing around the house, equally for jeans and shirts. For sports gear to wear out and about I buy a bit of Mackenzie stuff from JD Sports. Quite regularly browse Peacocks as well for casual stuff.

I generally spend more on footwear and always have a pair of Jordans but never the traditional 'One' line, more something like a black Max Aura. For work I exclusively use Skechers, cannot fault them when being on my feet all day.
I used to have a Mackenzie tracksuit, although being white it was a pain to keep clean.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Also do love an ASOS shop. Also have this really cool Tommy Hilfiger T shirt, which I think is really nice.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I like Levi's, I have a few T shirts from them.
I used to have Levi's jeans, from when I was in the USA, they have unfortunately worn out and their UK stuff is very overpriced.

Most of my day to day clothing is from River Island and H&M.

I do have a The North Face coat, I made sure to get it from a outdoor shop to get the proper stuff.
Which happened to be cheaper than the coats @TT-ONR-NRN got...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I like Levi's, I have a few T shirts from them.
I used to have Levi's jeans, from when I was in the USA, they have unfortunately worn out and their UK stuff is very overpriced.

Most of my day to day clothing is from River Island and H&M.

I do have a The North Face coat, I made sure to get it from a outdoor shop to get the proper stuff.
Which happened to be cheaper than the coats @TT-ONR-NRN got...
I didn’t think River Island and H&M did more than a very very limited mens range.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
£350 for a coat?!? For that price I'd expect it to do the washing up and walk the dog for me. I've spent less than that on a car. I genuinely don't think I've ever spent that much on a single item of clothing.

As for brands, I'm not generally brand-conscious. There's a Flannels in Douglas and I can't decide if the designs or the prices are more ridiculous.

But I am happy to pay for quality. I've got a couple of Barbour wax jackets- both from the factory outlet in Jarrow- and a Berghaus coat (well two, if we include the Berghaus fleece I got in 1999 when I first started sixth form and is still going strong for scuffing about). And I've got nine pairs of DMs, the oldest of which is about 15 years old now.

Generally though I'm in whatever is sensibly priced, tends to be Sainsbury's t-shirts and rugby shirts and Gap jeans, but with a fair few Next, M&S, and Primark jumpers thrown in.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh I should add I also like Calvin Klein underwear, so much so I bought it in bulk recently to allow me to throw away all my non CKs.

£350 for a coat?!?
That’s a standard price for an in-season puffer from TNF. I currently have three and adore them.

Hoodies and jumpers tend to be around £100, tracksuit trousers closer to £70 and tops around £50-£60, so much much cheaper.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Hoodies and jumpers tend to be around £100, tracksuit trousers closer to £70 and tops around £50-£60, so much much cheaper

£100 for a hoodie? The world has gone mad.

I also find it pretty distasteful when the clothes get made in Bangladesh by someone earning $10 a day, but that's the same with most clothes now.

Darandio

Established Member
Oh I should add I also like Calvin Klein underwear, so much so I bought it in bulk recently to allow me to throw away all my non CKs.

Underwear is certainly something I care little about. Comfort yes. Brand no. Maybe 20 years ago it would have been different if i'd got lucky on a night out.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I also find it pretty distasteful when the clothes get made in Bangladesh by someone earning $10 a day, but that's the same with most clothes now.
Sure, but that’s something to take up with the manufacturer rather than me for buying it.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Just waiting for the inevitable: “I don’t give a toss about brands. A load of millennial snobbishness“ from a couple of miseries
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are writing about me. "Big Names" often more than double the purchase price compared with what you can buy at market stalls, Primark, etc., - and that often last much longer than the big name stuff. I must still have a few shirts bought for under £3 from markets that remain in good condition, whereas some better name shirts had frayed cuffs and collars within a couple of years
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:rolleyes::lol:

Do you have a favourite clothing label? I feel that many people these days have a particular favourite for whatever reason, maybe because it suits them, goes well with their outfits, costs a reasonably low amount, etc.

Right, let’s hear what clothing range you all like :D
(and what your favourite pieces/colours are?)
Oops - my reply landed in the wrong location. Sorry.

WizCastro197

Established Member

I agree, I went to Superdru recently in Birmingham Bullring and it was 150 I am pretty sure for a Red Hoodie. Primark and H&M are still expensive at 15-30 for hoodie but still is a significant decrease for nice clothes.

Sure, but that’s something to take up with the manufacturer rather than me for buying it.
He wasn’t speaking specifically to you, he was purely expressing his own viewpoint that was a very valid statement. He never mentioned you or anyone else?