• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Clothing range

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The problem with "Primani" is that it's disposable fashion. It probably is best buying higher end fashion than that as at least it might be worn more than once.
Yes, there’s nothing I’d get from there that I probably wouldn’t throw away the next day - apart from some bits from the men’s grooming section. I use their excellent wide toothed afro comb to adjust my curly hair without frizzing it, and the silver metal headbands to push it back when I want it out of my face and can’t be arysed to put a hat on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, there’s nothing I’d get from there that I probably wouldn’t throw away the next day

And therein lies the problem. A nylon-heavy item of clothing from there is far, far worse than a single use carrier bag (nylon is just plastic). I do wonder if legislation is needed against it, though I'm not quite sure how you would write that.

The only disposable clothing there should be is the paper overalls used in some catering contexts and for forensics.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
white Umbro socks
WHITE socks (OMG) PLEASE not with dark trousers. please.
It was you who I was thinking of when I put that, I cannot lie ;) I’m glad I got it spot on.
I just don't understand your world. Fair play if you are lucky enough to be able to waste money on fancy designer clothing. I have never been in that position and just cant understand it. I don't think you have any idea of real life or how privileged you are or how tough the world is for many people around you or, frankly, how you come across to people who might not have your affluence.

You will glibly dismiss any criticism as jealousy. It honestly isn't that.

I actually use Primark and Sainsburys for a lot of things, sometimes if I need cheap jeans or cargos for a night out or something last minute
I wouldn't need to buy something for a night out at the last minute. I have enough clothes to chose from but this does further evidence the point I am trying to make!

GS250

For absolute best and my wardrobe certainly isn't adorned loads of it: Paul Smith. I'm also happy to buy top designer brands pre worn.

For midrange outdoorsy stuff: Jack Wolfskin. Find they always have plenty of stuff with good length in body and sleeves.

For midrange general wear: M and S, NEXT

For dossing: Anything from TK Maxx clearance section.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I just don't understand your world. Fair play if you are lucky enough to be able to waste money on fancy designer clothing. I have never been in that position and just cant understand it. I don't think you have any idea of real life or how privileged you are or how tough the world is for many people around you or, frankly, how you come across to people who might not have your affluence.

You will glibly dismiss any criticism as jealousy. It honestly isn't that.
No of course, and I completely respect your view.
The bit in bold is not something I would intend for though.

WHITE socks (OMG) PLEASE not with dark trousers. please.
I tend to wear white ones with gym clothes, tracksuits, shorts, etc. and black ones with more formal attire such as office dress, smart casual, suits, polos.

-

An issue I currently have is my preferred clothing pieces are all very much winter clothes, and as I’m moving to Sydney for six months predominantly when it’s mid-late summer there, that won’t really do. I’ll have to have a browse at St David’s for some less warm gear.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No of course, and I completely respect your view.
The bit in bold is not something I would intend for though.
I know I am grumpy ( and I am not even that old!) and while I find your approach to life hard to compute it is good to be challenged with different view points. I try to not to make points about you as an individual and if it seems that way I apologise. That is absolutely not my intention.

I guess the issue is that growing up I didn't have the kind of money you must have and while I do have a good wage now that early start means I am really cautious with money. Also having had literally no money after losing my job ( and I mean NO money - as bad as selling the sofa to pay for food!) I know how quickly that money can disappear no matter how well we think things might be going.

I tend to wear white ones with gym clothes, tracksuits, shorts, etc. and black ones with more formal attire such as office dress, smart casual, suits, polos.
phew! White socks and dark trousers does my head in!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I know I am grumpy ( and I am not even that old!) and while I find your approach to life hard to compute it is good to be challenged with different view points. I try to not to make points about you as an individual and if it seems that way I apologise. That is absolutely not my intention.

I guess the issue is that growing up I didn't have the kind of money you must have and while I do have a good wage now that early start means I am really cautious with money. Also having had literally no money after losing my job ( and I mean NO money - as bad as selling the sofa to pay for food!) I know how quickly that money can disappear no matter how well we think things might be going.
Yes I appreciate that, and while I probably come across as a bit of a spoilt little privileged boy I guess I’m just used to things being certain ways and not realising I’m in a fortunate position when I am. I’d like to think I’m far more humble in real life - a lot of the time I type quickly and don’t check my wording, so it can look more arrogant than intended.

Both of my parents work in finance, though, and I’ve been strongly educated by them on having sense with money, so I am more with it than it might appear.

White socks and dark trousers does my head in!
I don’t have an issue with that combination but what I do find a little grating is one luminous colour with another. A blue jacket, red top and green beanie, for example, do not match. Personally I always opt for neutrals such as white, black, grey and occasionally red or navy myself. (The turquoise coat was a big step for me :lol:)

And therein lies the problem. A nylon-heavy item of clothing from there is far, far worse than a single use carrier bag (nylon is just plastic). I do wonder if legislation is needed against it, though I'm not quite sure how you would write that.

The only disposable clothing there should be is the paper overalls used in some catering contexts and for forensics.
Primark have sustainability posters up all over the stores, ironically.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The problem with "Primani" is that it's disposable fashion. It probably is best buying higher end fashion than that as at least it might be worn more than once.
I figured this out a while back. I invested in a few pairs of Levis three years ago and I’m still using them very frequently.

Previously I’d get Primark or George jeans and they would be gone every year with wear and tear.

nlogax

Established Member
Over the years I've definitely moved towards buying quality stuff that lasts, therefore buying stuff far less frequently and overall my clothing spend has gone down. There are just one or two expensive brands in the wardrobe, one example is a long Boss coat which makes me impatient for winter months so I can actually wear it.

Small admission, I did buy a Barbour jacket three or four years ago. Looks great, definitely -not- the style which would make me resemble a pheasant botherer. It's just gone off to be re-waxed which upon reflection is one of the most middle class things I've ever done. A decade ago this wouldn't have been an item I thought would ever feature in my life.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I figured this out a while back. I invested in a few pairs of Levis three years ago and I’m still using them very frequently.

Previously I’d get Primark or George jeans and they would be gone every year with wear and tear.
This is interesting. For those questioning why I like labels so much, actually when it comes to jeans I don’t really care where they come from. A lot of mine are from Sainsbury’s, and I have a favourite pair of cargos from Tesco.

Over the years I've definitely moved towards buying quality stuff that lasts, therefore buying stuff far less frequently and overall my clothing spend has gone down. There are just one or two expensive brands in the wardrobe, one example is a long Boss coat which makes me impatient for winter months so I can actually wear it.
Hugo Boss has some really lovely stuff. I wear a lot of their colognes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I would say is that quality and brands don't always go hand in hand. Those Gildan hoodies I mentioned above are good quality, similarly quite a lot of obscure-branded workwear is (because if companies are buying it they don't want to be replacing it every 5 minutes).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some of it is, some of it isn't. I have a few Primark jumpers and they're pretty good quality for the price. Same with basics like plain coloured t-shirts.

Fair point. However the OP did specifically say they bought stuff to throw away, and that isn't appropriate.

Primark wouldn't close down if they stopped selling the really cheap rubbish intended for single wear.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We don't often wear suits for work these days ( more trousers and shirt) so while I buy cheap trousers I do buy good quality cotton, formal shirts. I like Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. You pay more than the high street but the quality, material and service life are much longer!
Small admission, I did buy a Barbour jacket three or four years ago. Looks great, definitely -not- the style which would make me resemble a pheasant botherer. It's just gone off to be re-waxed which upon reflection is one of the most middle class things I've ever done. A decade ago this wouldn't have been an item I thought would ever feature in my life.
A proper barber ( pheasant botherer or otherwise) is an investment. I have an ancient one that is still going strong. Doesn't really fit now mind!
Hugo Boss has some really lovely stuff. I wear a lot of their colognes.
That is one thing I do wish I could wear. I have sensitive skin and any kind of aftershave, cologne etc and even some deos beings me out in a hideous rash.

The airport duty free is like a torture chamber for me!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We don't often wear suits for work these days ( more trousers and shirt) so while I buy cheap trousers I do buy good quality cotton, formal shirts. I like Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. You pay more than the high street but the quality, material and service life are much longer!

For office trousers I prefer chinos anyway. Lightweight suit type trousers just cling to you if you pick up a bit of static and run up your legs when you sit down. They still look neat.

nlogax

Established Member

Pre-pandemic I was a happy TM Lewin customer. They had more offers than DFS.. four good quality shirts for a hundred quid! Shame I have little need to wear them these days.

bspahh

Established Member
You can tell a lot about clothing from the care label. For me, "Hand wash only" or "Dry clean only" mean "put it back on the rack".

I will make an exception for down clothing

One Alpkit label says to visit alpkit.com for care instructions, but adds: "If you're in a rush and can't be bothered to log on, at least read the following..." rounding off its abbreviated advice with the usual care symbols, "for those who speak pictogram".

I got them to wash and repair a down jacket. They will also repair clothing. https://alpkit.com/pages/repair-station has more.

Rohan also repair their clothing https://www.rohan.co.uk/servicecentre

PeterY

Established Member
It'd be easier to say, the only shop I won't go into, is Primark. :'(

I'm a bit snobbish, I'll only buy underwear from M&S. :D

I'm quite happy to buy clothes from any other shop, including charity shops.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Primark wouldn't close down if they stopped selling the really cheap rubbish intended for single wear.

I don't think Primark are even close to being the worst for that. The business model of the likes of Shein makes my teeth itch.

As for undies, the best boxers I've found recently are from Tu (Sainsbury's).

ChrisC

Established Member
I’m finding this a very interesting thread which has really got me thinking about the brands I wear and the prices I pay for clothes.

I think that I must have had some kind of midlife crisis about 25 years ago when I reached the age of 40! Until then I didn’t really care very much about brands and most of my clothes were from mid range shops like M&S, Next and Debenhams. I can remember buying a Polo Ralph Lauren polo shirt in the January sales about 25 years ago and absolutely loving it. Since then I have never gone back to the mid range or cheaper brands and my wardrobe is now mainly full of Polo Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Hugo Boss and Lyle and Scott polo shirts and t shirts. Very much the same brands for jumpers, fleeces and hoodies. Yes, I do still wear hoodies at the age of 66!

My underwear used to be mainly from M&S but for the last 20 years Ives never had anything other than Calvin Klein. I like the low rise trunks best. I also like Calvin Klein socks which can usually be got at a reasonable price from T K Max. Most of my jeans for many years have been G Star which I find extremely comfortable and the waist size and leg length are always spot on. At my age I would never wear skinny jeans, but I do like slim jeans for when I go out walking or cycling as they don’t get so muddy and fray at the bottoms.

The thing that I have found is that these more expensive brands do last. I have things that I have been wearing for years and when they eventually become too faded and tatty I continue to wear them for gardening and decorating etc.

Whenever I look around the expensive designer clothes shops, especially in places like Flannels, I’m always amazed that the people who are spending the most are so young. When I was at college in the 1970’s I can’t remember anyone wearing expensive clothes like so many young people do these days. I certainly couldn’t have afforded them during first 10 years or so at work as a teacher. The North Face jackets are expensive enough, but the number of young people you see wearing Canada Goose and Moncler jackets is amazing, considering they can cost over £1,000. I’ve never spent more than about £200 on a puffer jacket and that was for TNF about 4 years ago and it’s still wearing well. I don’t envy them. If I was 40-50 years younger and had the money some of them have, I would probably be doing the same. It just wasn’t possible when I was that age.

In my wardrobe I have a really nice, quite expensive at the time of purchase, black Burberry polo shirt with the Burberry checked collar, which I bought about £20 years ago. It has never been worn. Shortly after I got it Burberry became very popular being worn perhaps by the wrong crowd and so I have never dared go out in it. I also have a couple of very nice Stone Island jumpers which I rarely wear for the same reason.

alxndr

Established Member
Some of it is, some of it isn't. I have a few Primark jumpers and they're pretty good quality for the price. Same with basics like plain coloured t-shirts.
I've got some plain t-shirts that are at least 3 years old and wear them very regularly. I originally intended for them to be designated work tshirts that I didn't mind getting grubby (I think they were £2 each) but ended up liking the way they fit me and picking them out more often than not.
As for undies, the best boxers I've found recently are from Tu (Sainsbury's).
I find Tu boxers comfortable to begin with but can't wear them comfortably for two days in a row before they start to put too much pressure on the top of my groin. Then again, I think underwear fit is quite individual, a lot of people rave about H&M pants but my partner moans that they "make my ar*e feel like it's on backwards", whatever that means!

450.emu

That's brilliant; I love that. I wouldn't have expected kilts to cost £450! Are they comfortable?
Very! They can be snug like the seating on a Greater Anglia 720, but it's great to stand out from the crowd for special occasions :E There are some decent ones to be had for £100 and above, and as long as they are 100% wool, they are okay. There are cheaper "Polyviscose" ones, but the quality is less. The most I've ever spent is £900 on a Kilt Suit (jacket, kilt, waistcoat all the same colour / material) this is an indigo suit I had made :) But I rarely go above £280 for a handmade kilt by itself :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1650810492358.jpg
    FB_IMG_1650810492358.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 51

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Very! They can be snug like the seating on a Greater Anglia 720, but it's great to stand out from the crowd for special occasions :E There are some decent ones to be had for £100 and above, and as long as they are 100% wool, they are okay. There are cheaper "Polyviscose" ones, but the quality is less. The most I've ever spent is £900 on a Kilt Suit (jacket, kilt, waistcoat all the same colour / material) this is an indigo suit I had made :) But I rarely go above £280 for a handmade kilt by itself :)
That’s so smart. Would be brilliant for parties and weddings and things!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Paul Smith and Rapha.

I’m still wearing Paul Smith shirts / Polos / T-shirts that are 20 years old+ and in good (if not mint) condition.

ld0595

That's brilliant; I love that. I wouldn't have expected kilts to cost £450! Are they comfortable?
A proper 8 yard kilt can cost a few hundred quid. I just checked out my nearest kilt maker in Glasgow and was surprised you can get a made to order kilt for £400 which was cheaper than I expected.

I was very lucky and got a lightly used good quality one along with a Charlie jacket, belt and sporran for £100 about 8 or 9 years ago. It still fits me to this day - albeit it's slightly too loose which is surprising!

They are such good fun. It's been a few years since I wore mine but I've got a few weddings to attend next year which will give me a good excuse to break it out :D

londiscape

I've got 5 Primark plain polo shirts each in a different colour that I bought about 8 years ago, each is worn at least twice a month and thrown in the washing machine after a day.

Still got them, and still wear them. A couple are a bit frayed around the edges but I don't care, they're still structurally sound. Not bad for an investment of 6 quid each.

A proper 8 yard kilt can cost a few hundred quid. I just checked out my nearest kilt maker in Glasgow and was surprised you can get a made to order kilt for £400 which was cheaper than I expected.

I was very lucky and got a lightly used good quality one along with a Charlie jacket, belt and sporran for £100 about 8 or 9 years ago. It still fits me to this day - albeit it's slightly too loose which is surprising!

They are such good fun. It's been a few years since I wore mine but I've got a few weddings to attend next year which will give me a good excuse to break it out :D
I must have paid about £450 for a specially made tartan kilt in 2013 and on top of that there’s the jacket, sporran, footwear, tie, socks, flashes, belt and shirt. Mind you, over the intervening years I’ve worn it all to plenty of weddings, parties and events which goes to show that quality pays for itself in the end.

gg1

Established Member
The only items of clothing I have any real brand loyalty to are jeans where I only buy Levi's, quality and fit just seem to be better than cheaper brands. One limiting factor is I take a 35/36" inside leg which rules out a lot of brands anyway.

For everything else it's generally whatever takes my fancy in TK Maxx or Millets. I do get the occasional item from supermarkets but not as much as I used to, quality seems to have dropped in recent years. I used to buy a fair bit from M&S too, mainly formal/office clothes but their quality dropped right off a cliff around 4-5 years ago.

One thing I don't like is anything with big in your face branding such as the aforementioned North Face. I have seen a few items of theirs I liked but their subtle-as-a-housebrick logo puts me right off.