• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Clothing range

GS250

Paul Smith and Rapha.

I’m still wearing Paul Smith shirts / Polos / T-shirts that are 20 years old+ and in good (if not mint) condition.

Yep. You certainly pay for them but the quality and cut (for tall and med build) blokes like me is perfect.

I find a lot of upper wear is 'box cut' these days. Comfy round the shoulders but too much loose material around the mid and lower section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jb108822

My default clothing store's usually NEXT - I find it to be a good balance between price and quality, and their stuff usually fits me pretty well.

Russel

I called into Bicester Village on Saturday as I was in the area, I was actually shocked at some of the prices being charged.

Maybe I'm getting old before my time, but not only were the price tags shocking, but my god, fashion today is terrible. Even Superdry, which I used to be a fan of, seems to have designed their entire collection around one of Jimmy Savilles shell suits...

Last edited:

pdq

My default clothing store's usually NEXT - I find it to be a good balance between price and quality, and their stuff usually fits me pretty well.
Agreed. Debenhams used to be my go to store, and the one store I reckoned I could replace my complete wardrobe at, should the worst happen. Next are really the only significant mid market men's store available now; maybe M&S as well but I cringe when I see some of their stuff: beige and browns more suiting the over 80s of the 1990s! Quite like their Autograph underwear though - has lasted many years.

In the more trendy brands, I quite like Hollister. It seems good quality and reasonably priced for that quality.

I tend to keep clothes until they wear out, but that means that I don't always realise how they've dated. I was wearing a decent work shirt the other day - could easily be 10 yrs old. It wasn't until my wife commented on the collar looking like one of Harry Hill's that I really took notice of it. New shirts for Christmas methinks.

trebor79

Established Member
I've never dared go into a Hollister shop, the "model" employees and windowless design feel rather offpottung for some reason. Are the make staff still prone to going topless to show off their waxed six-pack?

driverd

Only made it to the first page here so I'm well behind but...

I like The North Face as I do quite a bit of hiking/outdoors stuff, I only have one of their more expensive jackets though and that is enough. I think it is a brand that you have to be increasingly careful with as it’s becoming a little too popular however.

This all over! I bought a £200+ thermoball and a £200 waterproof jacket and they were useless in the alps (admittedly, skiing, being used as such as I had leant my actual ski jacket to the ex - readers choice if the cold and wet week was worth it :lol: ). But for the price you'd expect the clothing to perform half decently as technical gear (which it is absolutely branded as). Mind you, we don't talk about the leaking fly that also collected rain on the trespass salopettes...

Hollister used to be very popular when I was in the later years of secondary school.

Strangley similar story here but I think I'm about 10 years older - must be a trend that stuck (lord knows why)

Oh I should add I also like Calvin Klein underwear

Looks fab and it's all great until you spend all day sat down/fidgeting/moving from sitting to standing. Turns out those hot boxers have an uncanny ability to become belly button high granny pants.

Chance find on H&M boxers for work - super comfy and they look alright.

Personally, I'm an absolute basic middle market 90s child who predominately lives out of River Island, H&M and occasionally Primark when my shopping conscience is off guard/wallet is making the decisions. This year, I've actually been very impressed with the range, quality and style at primark - other years they kind of managed a not-quite angle on everything and it just looked a bit iffy when worn but this year I'm actually keen. Got an amazing value pair of white trainers for £15 (because I'm not destroying my white airmax's in a club) - and they wipe clean - so I'm pretty much in love with them.

It's also interesting to read everyone's differing opinions on what represents value in clothing - as much as I totally get the whole points around £100 for a hoodie being too much etc - I think nothing beats putting a complementary outfit together and loving how you look in it. Plus, tk max loves your wallet if you want designer on a budget.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally, I'm an absolute basic middle market 90s child who predominately lives out of River Island, H&M and occasionally Primark when my shopping conscience is off guard/wallet is making the decisions. This year, I've actually been very impressed with the range, quality and style at primark - other years they kind of managed a not-quite angle on everything and it just looked a bit iffy when worn but this year I'm actually keen. Got an amazing value pair of white trainers for £15 (because I'm not destroying my white airmax's in a club) - and they wipe clean - so I'm pretty much in love with them.

Can tell you're a 90s kid - when I was young enough to be clubbing white trainers would never have been allowed in! Proper shoes, or not tonight, sir.

PeterC

Established Member
When I was working in the City of London I generally checked out the high end shops around Chancery Lane in the sales. There are still several 15 year old Ede and Ravenscroft shirts in the wardrobe putting in good service. Most of my jackets and coats date from this period.

These days jeans generally come from Peter Christian and underwear from M&S.

AM9

Veteran Member
For absolute best and my wardrobe certainly isn't adorned loads of it: Paul Smith. I'm also happy to buy top designer brands pre worn.

For midrange outdoorsy stuff: Jack Wolfskin. Find they always have plenty of stuff with good length in body and sleeves.

For midrange general wear: M and S, NEXT

For dossing: Anything from TK Maxx clearance section.
Another vote here for Jack Wolfskin. I first bought one of their 'Tri-Climate' sets, (nylon hooded shell and 200g/m² fleece jacket), to take to Tromsø which proved to be better than expectations. The fleece still retains it's pile despite being relegated to a general winter outside 'slip on' jacket, and I've since bought two more of the same weight plus a lighter weight 150g/m² and minimum weight jacket 100/m² which is an alternative to an indoor pullover. So far the zips have all held up well and the taffeta lining of the 200g jackets' sleeves mean that they are windproof even with short sleeve shirts.
For shorts and trousers, I've always found the Craghoppers good with quick drying properties and plenty of zipped pockets.
I'm not championing those brands, but have always fon them to be better value or quality than their North Face, Rab and Berghaus equivalent offerings. Morte importantly, their branding is discreet, and wearers aren't just walking around making a statement about 'their' choice of manufacturer.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One Alpkit label says to visit alpkit.com for care instructions, but adds: "If you're in a rush and can't be bothered to log on, at least read the following..." rounding off its abbreviated advice with the usual care symbols, "for those who speak pictogram".
That's not too distant from the recent phenomenon known as "wackaging" (a portmanteau of Wacky + Packaging) and would put me off buying the item.

For the most part, a label alone won't be enough to convince me to buy an item, I'd even say I'm slightly anti brand names, but with a few exceptions. I do get a lot of things from Primark, mostly socks, underwear and cheap long-sleeved t-shirts for use as vests in winter- but their jeans are decent and long-lasting despite costing as little as £9 a pair. Sure, there's the sweatshop argument to an extent, but paying more for an item is no guarantee that the people making the item were any better paid or treated: just look at the long list of Nike sweatshop scandals.

I've never been able to understand why Levi's jeans are considered so much more desirable than other makes, that's one that definitely seems to be down to some very effective marketing rather than anything else. I was around in the 1990s when every song on a Levis advert was pretty much a shoe-in for getting to #1 in the charts. To me, jeans are jeans are jeans, and I'm more fussed about the fit than the manufacturer.

One brand I do tend to seek out is Converse for their classic high-top pumps, particularly the versions with an unusual colour or design (which can often be found for reasonable prices online or in independent fashion stores).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's not too distant from the recent phenomenon known as "wackaging" (a portmanteau of Wacky + Packaging) and would put me off buying the item.

Alpkit is a "young" brand with a specific marketing approach aimed at outdoor enthusiasts mostly in their 20s/30s or at least "young-thinking" - probably typified by mountain biking culture which is one of their big areas. If it doesn't work for you, you're probably not in their target market and will probably do better sticking with traditional outdoor equipment brands and retailers. It very much isn't aimed at members of the Ramblers, for example, though I'm sure some of them do buy their kit as it's good and well-priced.

Years ago when I lived in Glossop and was a member of the local Mountain Rescue Team, one of the best brands was Mountain Equipment not least because there was a factory outlet in the town. Also Buffalo jackets were and still are fantastic and these are made in Sheffield (famous amongst other things for not being in China). I have one of their jackets which I took to Norway one winter where the temperature was minus 20 deg C. One of the best bits of kit I’ve ever bought!

Iskra

Established Member
What I would say is that quality and brands don't always go hand in hand. Those Gildan hoodies I mentioned above are good quality, similarly quite a lot of obscure-branded workwear is (because if companies are buying it they don't want to be replacing it every 5 minutes).
I ordered one of these based on your recommendation, it has arrived and actually I have to say I'm not all that impressed. It was certainly very cheap but the old adage 'you get what you pay for,' rings true, I have a North Face and Stussy heavyweight hoodies, and while significantly more expensive they are far far superior products. I'm not even sure I will keep the Gildan one. I did see some reviews that said the quality has gone downhill recently, so maybe I have just got unlucky.

450.emu

A proper 8 yard kilt can cost a few hundred quid. I just checked out my nearest kilt maker in Glasgow and was surprised you can get a made to order kilt for £400 which was cheaper than I expected.

I was very lucky and got a lightly used good quality one along with a Charlie jacket, belt and sporran for £100 about 8 or 9 years ago. It still fits me to this day - albeit it's slightly too loose which is surprising!

They are such good fun. It's been a few years since I wore mine but I've got a few weddings to attend next year which will give me a good excuse to break it out :D
Would be good to see! Here's my Help for Heroes tartan, last one for now as it's getting much colder, snow on the way this weekend...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670162181945.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670162181945.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 15

Russel

Going back to opening post in regard to winter padded coats, today I decided it was time to replace mine that I've had for over 5 years, so I've brought the below coat from Mountain Warehouse for £40, though it's original price was £80, it's warm, comfortable and £300 less than the TNF coat in the opening post!

I have no quality concerns as I've had plenty of MW kit before and it's all survived daily abuse.

I looked at a couple of jackets in Trespass but I found their medium to be too small and large to be too big.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/seasons-ii-mens-padded-jacket-p43791.aspx/navy/

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know they're a bit old man now, but I always wear Superdry hoodies in winter as they're nice and warm, certainly better than any one I've had from elsewhere. I buy them from their shops in Designer Outlet Villages or airports as they're always cheaper than their shops in town centres.

jb108822

I know they're a bit old man now, but I always wear Superdry hoodies in winter as they're nice and warm, certainly better than any one I've had from elsewhere. I buy them from their shops in Designer Outlet Villages or airports as they're always cheaper than their shops in town centres.
Outlet shopping is great, though I'll admit that if you go to somewhere like Cheshire Oaks, it can get quite dangerous...:p

Jamiescott1

Levis and ck jeans fit me really really.
I like a lot of Tommy hilfiger tops (but also alot of their stuff is awful).
My work shirts tend to be either CK or Charles trywitt.

gswindale

Normally Next for me, although my latest purchase from there needs to go back as one label at the back of the trousers lists them as being "L" leg length, but I thought they felt short and having checked the label with the washing instructions, it turns out they are short!

Craghoppers are pretty good for jackets/coats - replaced my "winter coat" this year after having had my previous one for about 10 years, so that worked out at about £5/year I think...

450.emu

Going back to opening post in regard to winter padded coats, today I decided it was time to replace mine that I've had for over 5 years, so I've brought the below coat from Mountain Warehouse for £40, though it's original price was £80, it's warm, comfortable and £300 less than the TNF coat in the opening post!

I have no quality concerns as I've had plenty of MW kit before and it's all survived daily abuse.

I looked at a couple of jackets in Trespass but I found their medium to be too small and large to be too big.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/seasons-ii-mens-padded-jacket-p43791.aspx/navy/
I found a decent Trespass coat for £40 on Amazon in their Black Friday sale. Tesco are selling £70 thick coats in their Extra stores, though for some odd policy no longer sell men's shoes, but will stock slippers.... I was just browsing, on my way to find a plug to fit a PIR light.

Bought a fairly light North Face jacket, more for Spring than for the "Troll from Trondheim" (latest media speak for snow / cold snap from Wednesday) :rolleyes:
Found a decent Ross tartan kilt on Facebook Marketplace, usually a minefield for buying anything... meaning I'll need new shooting socks for that too :E

theblackwatch

Established Member
Looking at what I've got on today...

JCB thick socks (Morrisons own brand I think - bought for me for Christmas by my parents last year, as I've got older I have started to suffer from cold toes so they were most welcome), 'On That Ass' underwear (free, you sign up to a monthly pair but can cancel before your subscription starts - I'm not paying £10 for new pair every month!), Crosshatch jeans, M&S polo shirt and Primarni jumper. The jumper I've had a few years and it hasn't lost its shape.

I don't got for expensive labels, but I do have 3 Superdry t-shirts (bought in a sale, I think buy 2 and get the third free - is it obvious I'm from Yorkshire?), my better quality stuff tends to be Topman (RIP), Next or GAP - although my local GAP store closed a couple of years back hence why I tend to buy more online nowadays.

Footwear I tend to normally get Karrimor and like someone else earlier in this thread, I just buy another similar pair when they need replacing. This time though I've gone for Jack Walker as I thought they looked ok and were a decent price on Amazon.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Just waiting for the inevitable: “I don’t give a toss about brands. A load of millennial snobbishness“ from a couple of people :rolleyes::lol:

Do you have a favourite clothing label? I feel that many people these days have a particular favourite for whatever reason, maybe because it suits them, goes well with their outfits, costs a reasonably low amount, etc.

My personal weakness is The North Face, and particularly their puffer jackets. I think they’re really comfortable, quite stylish, very warm and durable and suit most of the clothes I wear. I currently have three of their 2022 puffer jacket coats (one white, one turquoise and one thinner black one) and a puffer gillet (sleeveless coat for on top of hoodies).

I have a vast collection of caps, beanies, tops, tracksuits, hoodies and even a snood from TNF too, which all suit my taste and work well as an outfit.

View attachment 124207View attachment 124208
This is my current favourite, the Himalayan Down Parka Gardenia White, which I couldn’t resist buying during my browse earlier today. Another great thing I love about TNF is they give student discounts, so as a University student the price was reduced from £350 to just £315, making it irresistible :lol:

The Turquoise Nuptse was my previous favourite, but I’ve had it for a few months now and need a major change :lol: A slightly less subtle colour, but it stands out I guess. This was a mere £250 as I got it in the sale, suppose it pays to wait until the end of the season.

View attachment 124209

I also wear a lot of Zanetti Canada, and (for more casual things like the gym) Nike

Right, let’s hear what clothing range you all like :D
(and what your favourite pieces/colours are?)
Well all, I couldn’t resist updating you on the very sad news :(:lol:

This coat, as we know, sparked the discussion

IMG_8670.jpeg

And, alas, today we lost her :(

IMG_8669.jpeg

Lesson learned. Check the temperature.