• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feltham area resignalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookd

That is a rather smaller restriction than in the leaflet (which probably came from Hounslow Council).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
Feltham level crossing now permanently closed, barriers removed, temporary footbridge installed, new AWS equipment in middle of DOWN platform (ready for new station starter position).

Feltham level crossing now permanently closed, barriers removed, temporary footbridge installed, new AWS equipment in middle of DOWN platform (ready for new station starter position).

Sadly the footbridge is still closed to the public. It looks like it is missing lighting, so hopefully just a 1-day delay.

On the plus side though, trains are no longer held on cautionary aspects on the approach to the level crossing site.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's good to get a straight run in now rather than the train being cautioned while the barriers lower!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The signal at the end of the down platform has been replaced by one located at the end of the in-build platform extension.

BS56

I think you find some of the new signalling on the Shepperton branch has been brought into use but still controlled from Feltham box.

takno

Established Member
I think you find some of the new signalling on the Shepperton branch has been brought into use but still controlled from Feltham box.
Thanks for the reminder. Traksy now updated with the new signalling

A few (hopefully relevant) questions & updates:

• Spotted a few 'AWS ramp-like' devices installed on the track in the Richmond area. In part, they are bright green in colour, but much flatter than an AWS ramp. Sadly don't have an image. Any idea what their purpose is?

• Over the last few weeks, I've seen small rectangular areas (10-20 m² perhaps) areas cleared and effectively covered in concrete, with lots of cabling laid nearby, in the vicinity of Whitton Junction & Twickenham Junction. Many such exist, but not sure what they're for.

• Finally, I think I've seen a Network Rail poster claiming that the Feltham platform extensions will open on the 1st December. I wonder if the ASDO beacon on the Up line will be moved to coincide with the opening or if the 458s will remain 'limited to 8 cars' for a while yet... I assume a small amount of testing must also take place regarding stopping positions and door release?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
• Over the last few weeks, I've seen small rectangular areas (10-20 m² perhaps) areas cleared and effectively covered in concrete, with lots of cabling laid nearby, in the vicinity of Whitton Junction & Twickenham Junction. Many such exist, but not sure what they're for.
Could concrete bases possibly be for Traction power upgrades? Are they near existing DC equipment?

Goldfish62

Established Member

• Finally, I think I've seen a Network Rail poster claiming that the Feltham platform extensions will open on the 1st December. I wonder if the ASDO beacon on the Up line will be moved to coincide with the opening or if the 458s will remain 'limited to 8 cars' for a while yet... I assume a small amount of testing must also take place regarding stopping positions and door release?
From a bystander's viewpoint it was seemless and appeared to "just happen" overnight at other stations.

Bigfoot

• Spotted a few 'AWS ramp-like' devices installed on the track in the Richmond area. In part, they are bright green in colour, but much flatter than an AWS ramp. Sadly don't have an image. Any idea what their purpose is?

The green ramps are exactly what you think they are but without the magnets installed.

Mixture of power and signalling equipment upgrades.

The testing for the platform extensions occured a couple of months back. There were a few late night services that were used.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's what I was thinking. There's one at Staines as well.
On the outer routes such as in the Southampton area power supply upgrades are usually collocated next to the existing, they seem to “add to” rather than replace. I’ve never seen a full list of what’s being done where though.

Goldfish62

Established Member
On the outer routes such as in the Southampton area power supply upgrades are usually collocated next to the existing, they seem to “add to” rather than replace. I’ve never seen a full list of what’s being done where though.
That hasn't been the case on the Reading line, where new substations for the 458/5s have been provided in completely new locations, although some existing one have also been upgraded.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That hasn't been the case on the Reading line, where new substations for the 458/5s have been provided in completely new locations, although some existing one have also been upgraded.
I guess there’s so many different permutations possible. I’d expect there’ll also be work done within buildings that we don’t really see at all.

I have had an email from Hounslow council saying that the road bridge at Feltham will open to south bound traffic on Sunday. There are no dates for the north bound side to open.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I have had an email from Hounslow council saying that the road bridge at Feltham will open to south bound traffic on Sunday. There are no dates for the north bound side to open.
re-opened towards Staines at 18.00 on Saturday 30 November.
Full 10-car platforms at Feltham available from this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.