• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW class 165/166

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Just found out that FGW are running the following service during the blockade of Reading station this December:

Bristol - Bath - Westbury - Newbury - Theale

Am i right in guesing that this will use some HST's or could we see some class 165/166's making a appearance are they cleared to work between Westbury & Bath spa?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok i have just found out that the turbos are not cleared through Trowbridge (Unless Network rail can sort the clearance issue's between now & December)

Pity i was hoping maybe we could get to see some class 165/166 at Bath & Bristol again just to make things more interesting

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
With the number of people that will be catching it, it had better be a HST.

Ivo

Established Member
I didn't think they were cleared to operate west of Bedwyn anyway?

Not a fan of 165s and 166s, so I won't be too upset if it doesn't happen. The interior is poor, they are uncomfortable (not helped, although not only, due to being 2+3), they are noisy (even by "mid-range" 1xx standards), and Mojo's response on his own thread (the Bicester thread) sums up the worst bit pretty well:

Yes those displays
Are really annoying
Because they take
Ages to scroll
Between all the
Pieces of
Information.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Having been on a class 166 on monday for the first time i have to agree they are noisy and the interior is like a 32x .

turbo mick

Hi everyone the 165/166 will only be used on the theale-bedwyn run as no Ltv drivers sign the road to bristol.Network rail are building a temp platform on the goods line behind the up westbury platform so can be signalled back and forth.Dont know where they are being stabled for the blockade probably newbury area

Years ago we did run a couple of specials to weymouth allong the B&h and via yeovil.

Off topic the fleet refresh is going well and 166 fleet are having the aircon sorted for the punters any questions ive had the pleasure of driving them for 15yrs

cheers

Ivo

Established Member
Just found out that FGW are running the following service during the blockade of Reading station this December:

Bristol - Bath - Westbury - Newbury - Theale

Am i right in guesing that this will use some HST's or could we see some class 165/166's making a appearance are they cleared to work between Westbury & Bath spa?
Ok i have just found out that the turbos are not cleared through Trowbridge (Unless Network rail can sort the clearance issue's between now & December)

Pity i was hoping maybe we could get to see some class 165/166 at Bath & Bristol again just to make things more interesting

Something's just occurred to me. You mean to say that 165s are not permitted through Trowbridge, yet HSTs are?

455driver

Veteran Member
Something's just occurred to me. You mean to say that 165s are not permitted through Trowbridge, yet HSTs are?

165s will probably "fit" but as they have not been checked (IE signed off) then they are not allowed down there!

starrymarkb

Established Member
They've been through before, after Ufton Nervet a couple were trapped on the country side on of the accident. They got them back through Trowbridge (very carefully).

Also what did the bigwig's* Frome - London in time for parliament use? I know it was a franchise commitment. (I remember it was suggested it was for the FGW MD, but she lived in Trowbridge at the time)

*Was either an MP or a Lord IIRC

ailsa

The land of crop circles and white horses
165s will probably "fit" but as they have not been checked (IE signed off) then they are not allowed down there!

You can download a pdf from Network Rail containing details of track layouts and line speeds. Interestingly, it states that class 165/166 are limited to 30mph, travelling north under Dundas aqueduct. It's quite hard to get there without going through Trowbridge.

Edit: Just noticed who posted and get the feeling I am teaching granny to suck eggs :oops:

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also what did the bigwig's* Frome - London in time for parliament use? I know it was a franchise commitment. (I remember it was suggested it was for the FGW MD, but she lived in Trowbridge at the time)
It was originally a 180 and is now operated by a HST.

Woody

Also FGW will be serving Waterloo during the blockade. But only with West of England services via Westbury and Salisbury.

455driver

Veteran Member
Also FGW will be serving Waterloo during the blockade. But only with West of England services via Westbury and Salisbury.

A notice has gone up that the guards will be starting route learning soon.
You can download a pdf from Network Rail containing details of track layouts and line speeds. Interestingly, it states that class 165/166 are limited to 30mph, travelling north under Dundas aqueduct. It's quite hard to get there without going through Trowbridge.

Edit: Just noticed who posted and get the feeling I am teaching granny to suck eggs :oops:

It may just be for ECS moves in an emergency and not cleared for passenger service, many years ago a blind eye was frequently turned to get the job done but not now unfortunately :(

I aint no granny <D (except on the first early back at work ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.