• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filming bus routes in Newcastle & surrounding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
A trip to Newcastle & surrounding areas is planned for late June, and the routes I plan to film are as follows

Go North East Angel 21 (Newcastle - Durham)
Go North East Fab 56 (Newcastle - Sunderland)
Arriva Sapphire 22/22A (Durham - Sunderland)
Stagecoach E1 (Sunderland - South Shields)
Gateshead Central Taxis 40 (Durham Railway Station - Cathedral)

Are these good routes to film (e.g. nice scenery, nice places & architecture)? Any other good routes up there you'd recommend me riding end to end?

Irrelevant side note, I'm also planning to film the whole Tyne and Wear Metro Green and Yellow lines.

Also, I'm only staying up there for two nights, so won't have time to do everything you suggest, but will try to film as much as possible

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adtrainsam

Stagecoach North East X24 (Newcastle - Sunderland)

Are these good routes to film (e.g. nice scenery, nice places & architecture)? Any other good routes up there you'd recommend me riding end to end?
For this one, there's not really that much to see - Chester Road is pretty standard and then it's pretty much down the A19. It's relatively speedy (if that's what you're looking for) but not necessarily nice scenery.

The Coast is lovely round that part of the region so I would strongly suggest the E1/E2/E6 routes which run between South Shields and Sunderland. The E1 hogs the coast more than the other 2, but both very decent nonetheless.
Similarly, the Coast Road services out of Newcastle can be good. If you're not fussed about travelling further out, the 308/309 (Arriva/Go North East) go along the A193 from Whitley Bay to Blyth - they offer some great coastal scenery. If you're staying within Tyne & Wear, the 306 between North Shields and Whitley Bay via Tynemouth isn't bad either.

For something more rural, the Go North East Xlines X45/X30/X72 between Newcastle and Consett/Stanley are also quite pretty. The Summer Only service X75 from Newcastle to Belsey Hall is also expected to return this summer, but I'm unsure of the starting date/timings.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The 50 and X24 are hardly thrilling - especially as the former seems to go through every Washington estate imaginable. X24 is basically main roads through Sunderland then down the motorway.

I'd recommend the 689 (Consett to Hexham, only 2x daily) and X18 (Newcastle to Berwick via the coast). The 74 (Newcastle to Hexham via Great Whittington) is pleasant too.

They're out of the way but all valid on an Explorer North East (£10.90).

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I would love to do all of these, unfortunately though I will only be staying in Newcastle for 2 nights so won't have much time! Plus on the last day before I go back to the South East of England, I would actually like to explore Newcastle city, and see all the tourist attractions like the castle, discovery museum etc.

However, instead of a 50, could you suggest a more scenic alternative, maybe an Arriva Sapphire route to Hartlepool or Sunderland?

@TheGrandWazoo I believe you used to live in the North East for part of your life? If that's the case then I'd love to hear suggestions from you!

Another update, instead of the 50 (Durham - South Shields), I will instead be doing Sapphire 22A (Durham - Sunderland via Peterlee) then E1 (Sunderland - South Shields). They seem more exciting than the 50 lol

The 74 (Newcastle to Hexham via Great Whittington) is pleasant too.

I believe the 74 goes via the wealthiest area in the North of East England (Darras Hall), right?

Last edited:
306\308 down the coast road heading into Newcastle gets some great views across the city and over to Gateshead , especially since you mentioned the buildings. Anything that crosses the river over the High Level bridge might suit.

Zamracene749

I would love to do all of these, unfortunately though I will only be staying in Newcastle for 2 nights so won't have much time! Plus on the last day before I go back to the South East of England, I would actually like to explore Newcastle city, and see all the tourist attractions like the castle, discovery museum etc.

However, instead of a 50, could you suggest a more scenic alternative, maybe an Arriva Sapphire route to Hartlepool or Sunderland?

@TheGrandWazoo I believe you used to live in the North East for part of your life? If that's the case then I'd love to hear suggestions from you!

Another update, instead of the 50 (Durham - South Shields), I will instead be doing Sapphire 22A (Durham - Sunderland via Peterlee) then E1 (Sunderland - South Shields). They seem more exciting than the 50 lol

I believe the 74 goes via the wealthiest area in the North of East England (Darras Hall), right?
Yep, Darras Hall has a lot of very impressive modernish mansions, it is (or it was) footballer country.

The 22A From Durham? It has some real contrasts scenery wise, typical of many North East routes.

The climb out of Durham city is pretty cool, (sit on the right and look back for views of the cathedral and castle, hopefully you'll be lucky and get a decker), then a short run through the roughest estate in the city (Sherburn Road). After that comes a few pleasant rural miles, passing Sherburn house then the impressive climb up Silent Bank.

A turn off the main road heralds a string of run down ex pit villages, through almost dead Thornley, followed by the depressing nastiness of Wheatley Hill and Shotton.
Crossing the A19 , it thankfully takes the quick route through the 'miners paradise' Peterlee new town (my home town, with a burnt out town clock tower last used as a cannabis farm! The clock is correct twice a day at 10 past two) then takes the coast road towards Easington Colliery (look out for trains on the Durham coast line, then admire the 'C' streets where the movie 'Billy Elliot' was filmed).

Historic Easington village quickly follows, the 12th century church on the site of an earlier Saxon building worth looking out for.

I'ts then pleasantly rural again, racing through Hawthorn Dene, past the old pumping station, a quick diversion into Dalton Park outletshopping centre, through unremarkable New Seaham then past probably the last couple of sites of interest at Ryhope, the restored steam pumping station and what remains of the once sinister 'Cherry Knowle', a victorian lunatic asylum.

Apologies for the probably over detailed post 8-)

PS, filming and photography is banned on the Metro system, you will get pestered by security sadly. A couple of favourite places to photograph buses are the footbridge over the A690 at Durham (near Alishaan curry house) and the exit of Eldon Square bus station in Newcastle- known disparagingly amongst local drivers and enthusiasts as 'Veg Corner!'

Last edited:

hst43102

A trip to Newcastle & surrounding areas is planned for late June, and the routes I plan to film are as follows

Go North East Angel 21 (Newcastle - Durham)
Go North East Whey Aye Five 0 50 (Durham - South Shields)
Stagecoach North East X24 (Newcastle - Sunderland)

Irrelevant side note, I'm also planning to film the whole Tyne and Wear Metro Green and Yellow lines.
If you're trying to cover lots of ground and save a bit of time I would highly recommend taking the X21 between Newcastle and Durham instead of the 21 - it's largely the same route but takes the A1 instead of some boring estates in Birtley and between Chester and Durham. It takes around an hour between Newcastle and Durham rather than the 80 minutes or so that the 21 takes and you won't miss any spectacular parts of the route.
I can also highlight the Tyne Valley routes (10, 684 or 685) for a brilliant route to film - each has some interesting urban areas (Gateshead and Blaydon for the 10, west end of Newcastle for the 684/685) and also some really beautiful natural scenes, especially around Riding Mill and Stocksfield on the 10, Heddon on the 684/685, and definitely the Tyne at Corbridge. It takes around an hour to get to Hexham on each route, you could spend a bit of time there and then take the other back. Personally I'd say that is a much more scenic route than any on the Durham coast.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Hi @SouthEastBuses - apologies for the delay in responding.

Some really good suggestions already including the one about travelling on the High Level Bridge. My personal views...

The 50 is a bit dull, I find. The Tyne Valley routes are really pleasant. The 74 does go through the stockbroker belt of Darras Hall and Ponteland and it's only after that as it heads to Hexham does it get interesting.

Suggest the 21 to Chester le Street, and then the 78 to Sunderland past Penshaw Monument and Herrington Country Park (I'm so old, I remember it as a colliery). Then from Sunderland, get the E1 to Shields (past Marsden Rock). A trip on the Shields Ferry and then the 19 into North Shields from the ferry terminal (not covered by Explorer sadly) and then the 1 through Tynemouth and Cullercoats to Whitley Bay.

Depends how long you then have got.
  • If time is pressing, get the 308 from Whitley Bay back into Newcastle on the coast road past the wonderful art deco Wills Building and the now closed Arriva depot at Jesmond.
  • If you're not rushing, then get the 308 or 309 up the coast from Whitley Bay through Seaton Sluice to Blyth - a rare instance now of a combined bus station and depot site. Then just get any one of the expresses (X7/X9/X10/X11) back to Newcastle.
Hope these (and suggestions of others) help in your planning

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Hi @SouthEastBuses - apologies for the delay in responding.

Some really good suggestions already including the one about travelling on the High Level Bridge. My personal views...

The 50 is a bit dull, I find. The Tyne Valley routes are really pleasant. The 74 does go through the stockbroker belt of Darras Hall and Ponteland and it's only after that as it heads to Hexham does it get interesting.

Suggest the 21 to Chester le Street, and then the 78 to Sunderland past Penshaw Monument and Herrington Country Park (I'm so old, I remember it as a colliery). Then from Sunderland, get the E1 to Shields (past Marsden Rock). A trip on the Shields Ferry and then the 19 into North Shields from the ferry terminal (not covered by Explorer sadly) and then the 1 through Tynemouth and Cullercoats to Whitley Bay.

Depends how long you then have got.
  • If time is pressing, get the 308 from Whitley Bay back into Newcastle on the coast road past the wonderful art deco Wills Building and the now closed Arriva depot at Jesmond.
  • If you're not rushing, then get the 308 or 309 up the coast from Whitley Bay through Seaton Sluice to Blyth - a rare instance now of a combined bus station and depot site. Then just get any one of the expresses (X7/X9/X10/X11) back to Newcastle.
Hope these (and suggestions of others) help in your planning
Hiya, thanks for the advice. I would love to do the Cobalt Clippers, sadly though I'm only staying in Newcastle for two nights and I would like to visit Durham too! However, instead of the 50 to South Shields, I'm thinking of doing the 22/22A to Sunderland then E1 to South Shields. Is the 22/22A good in your opinion?

Ken H

On Moderation
Surely if you are going all the way up there, the X15. X18, X20 have to be worth a go. Or is that not really in the area of interest? And the 477 Berwick - Holy Island has to be worth a shot. Only tidal bus timetable in the UK

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Surely if you are going all the way up there, the X15. X18, X20 have to be worth a go. Or is that not really in the area of interest? And the 477 Berwick - Holy Island has to be worth a shot. Only tidal bus timetable in the UK

I would love to do the X18 and 477 (in fact I did originally have plans to do the X18), but sadly I'm only staying up there for two nights, so won't have time to do everything. Not to mention that being an area of England I had never been before, I would actually like to explore Newcastle and Durham.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hiya, thanks for the advice. I would love to do the Cobalt Clippers, sadly though I'm only staying in Newcastle for two nights and I would like to visit Durham too! However, instead of the 50 to South Shields, I'm thinking of doing the 22/22A to Sunderland then E1 to South Shields. Is the 22/22A good in your opinion?
The 22 is really two routes welded into one. The first bit is actually ok from Durham to Peterlee through lots of former pit villages. In fact, it was a journey I made on my very first Explorer trip (on a Leyland National). The second half is, IMHO, a bit dull through to Sunderland.

However, to travel from Durham to Sunderland (and avoiding the direct 20), there's a couple of other options.
  1. 65 Durham to Hetton le Hole and then the 35 to Sunderland
  2. 21 Durham to Chester le Street, and then the 78 to Sunderland
Hope this helps

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Very useful thanks! I believe the 22 is VDL SB200 Wright Pulsars right?

Also, does the 50 from Durham to South Shields still use the NK56 reg Scania OmniCities? Likewise what happened to the GNE Citaros, are they all still in service?

MoleStation

Definitely take the x21 from Durham to Gateshead. Sit upstairs on the left as when you're on the A1 near the Angel the view on the left across the Team Valley and up to the hills is rather good. You really don't want to get on a regular 21. Mainly every stop through Birtley and Low Fell is a total pain
And if you alight at Gateshead you could get on the metro head to South Shields have a walk on the pier with chips then get the ferry across the Tyne and the bus to North Shields metro station. Head into Newcastle or go to a different bit of coast
If you have time!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Very useful thanks! I believe the 22 is VDL SB200 Wright Pulsars right?

Also, does the 50 from Durham to South Shields still use the NK56 reg Scania OmniCities? Likewise what happened to the GNE Citaros, are they all still in service?
This is Arriva Durham we’re talking about so whilst you’ve a good chance of a Pulsar, you’re as likely to get a Streetlite, an e200 or even a Solo instead!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
This is Arriva Durham we’re talking about so whilst you’ve a good chance of a Pulsar, you’re as likely to get a Streetlite, an e200 or even a Solo instead!

What about double deckers? Doesn't Durham have ex London Volvo B7TL Alexander ALX400s? (LJ55 lot)

PS, filming and photography is banned on the Metro system, you will get pestered by security sadly. A couple of favourite places to photograph buses are the footbridge over the A690 at Durham (near Alishaan curry house) and the exit of Eldon Square bus station in Newcastle- known disparagingly amongst local drivers and enthusiasts as 'Veg Corner!'

I know but I'm not bothered about it. It's just a policy and it's not a bylaw/law, so that won't stop me from wanting to film the metro. Not especially considering it's a once in a lifetime opportunity considering I live in the South East of England (and we're talking about even further south than London - precisely speaking Sussex). Plus looking at the photography/filming permit form, it asks all sort of questions like crew size, all the sort of thing you would do if you were doing a commercial project instead like filming a new film (and not a personal with YouTube share type of video, which applies to me).

Zamracene749

What about double deckers? Doesn't Durham have ex London Volvo B7TL Alexander ALX400s? (LJ55 lot)
Durham do put deckers and the occasional Solo out on the 22/23/24 rota monday to saturday. Mostly Pulsar or a Streetlite though. ADL Enviro 400s make regular appearances, ALX400 make the odd appearance but they are more often found on city service 64.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Those usually appear on the Deerness Valley routes (43, 48, X46) or city route 64. The 22 occasionally gets an e400 (usually allocated to the 6 or 7) but really, the 22 is dominated by single deckers.

Interesting, I thought they were mostly used on the MAX X12 (Newcastle - Middlesbrough via Durham)

Adtrainsam

The Scania OmniCities went a few years ago I believe. The last 4 GNE Citaros from 2008 were withdrawn a few weeks ago sadly, so you'll have just missed them! Beautiful buses as well. The Connections 4 route still uses Citaros, however, they're newer 63 plate versions.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The Scania OmniCities went a few years ago I believe. The last 4 GNE Citaros were withdrawn a few weeks ago sadly, so you'll have just missed them! They were beautiful buses as well.

I thought the Connection 4 lot (BX63s) were still in service? And I believe all GNE Citaros are now at Go North West (GNW) right? What about the OmniCities, where are they now?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Interesting, I thought they were mostly used on the MAX X12 (Newcastle - Middlesbrough via Durham)
Occasionally but very, very much the exception.
I've only seen Pulsars on there for a while now.
Yeah, the X12 has been largely wall to wall Pulsars for a while. IIRC, Stockton has a number of boards on the X12 (2 or 3) and they've got a depot full of Pulsars and just a few Streetlites.

Adtrainsam

I thought the Connection 4 lot (BX63s) were still in service? And I believe all GNE Citaros are now at Go North West (GNW) right? What about the OmniCities, where are they now?
Sorry, yes - I forgot about them! Post amended. A lot of them are at GNW but some have been scrapped and there's a few dotted around with smaller independent operators. OmniCities have mostly been scrapped but there's a few hanging around with Independent's across the country. Not too sure on exact details though.

darloscott

Occasionally but very, very much the exception.

Yeah, the X12 has been largely wall to wall Pulsars for a while. IIRC, Stockton has a number of boards on the X12 (2 or 3) and they've got a depot full of Pulsars and just a few Streetlites.
The X12 is almost entirely operated by Stockton now with a solid Pulsar allocation as a result.

hst43102

The BX63 batch are still in Service, although I suspect they're on borrowed time as they are now a rather non-standard type. Some of the GNE Citaros went to GNW but many were scrapped or sold to independents. All OmniCities have been withdrawn, mostly went for scrap. Two are still in use at the driving school at Riverside depot if you're looking to find those.

peterblue

In my opinion, the best scenery in the North East is near Hexham or around the Northumberland coast. If you're going south towards Durham I would recommend just taking the quickest buses. Durham is a nice city and definitely worth a visit. I don't think there's anything special about Sunderland/South Shields.

It's a shame you won't get time for the X20/X18/X15 routes. Could you get the X18 to Berwick and then the train back?

With limited time, I would recommend the following:

In the countryside (one day)
X21 Newcastle-Durham
X5 Durham-Consett
689 Consett-Hexham
AD122 Hexham-Haltwhistle
685 Haltwhistle-Newcastle

Around the coast (the next day)
308/9 Newcastle - Blyth
Any Blyth-Newcastle

Ken H

On Moderation
In my opinion, the best scenery in the North East is near Hexham or around the Northumberland coast. If you're going south towards Durham I would recommend just taking the quickest buses. Durham is a nice city and definitely worth a visit. I don't think there's anything special about Sunderland/South Shields.

It's a shame you won't get time for the X20/X18/X15 routes. Could you get the X18 to Berwick and then the train back?

With limited time, I would recommend the following:

In the countryside (one day)
X21 Newcastle-Durham
X5 Durham-Consett
689 Consett-Hexham
AD122 Hexham-Haltwhistle
685 Haltwhistle-Newcastle

Around the coast (the next day)
308/9 Newcastle - Blyth
Any Blyth-Newcastle
Maybe train to Alnmouth. bus to Berwick and back, then train back to Newcastle? Just an idea.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Am I right in thinking that the 308 and the 309 are exactly the same route, with the only difference being that the 308 is run by Arriva and the 309 is run by Go North East?

Are 47 Newcastle Consett and X5 Consett Durham worth doing? I'm thinking of doing these instead of 22A Durham Sunderland

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.